Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new weight loss thread

Hey Betty Boop,

I'm in as well. A few years ago I was a keen runner and lost a bunch of weight (2 stone). Unfortunately, I quit the running before I quit the drinking!!!

Anyway, I'm in. Need to be much more diligent than I have been in a while. Now that I have lost the AL, I am ready to lose the weight.

Beck
    Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Here's a calculator for converting lbs to stone or vice versa! Convert stone to pound - conversion of measurement units

I have a small notebook that I carry in my purse and write down what I eat and the calories on the label. If it is something I'm making, many recipes have calorie content as well. I have a book that lists calories of most foods and I just add up what I'm making in a recipe. Kind of a pain, but it really helps to know and makes me think twice about eating something. After I'm more familiar with what is in most foods it will get easier.
      Marcie

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Yep, like Betty said, I weigh my foods as well. Bought a nice digital scale to weigh in oz or grams a few weeks ago.
        Marcie

Comment

A new weight loss thread

I'm in. My problem isn't so much about losing weight, but the weight I have is flabby. I need to increase my protein and exercise. I have started the protein issue this week, but I hate exercising. Any recommendations for good, high protein meals (sick of chicken) and excercise for those who hate it?
          Goal 1: Today
          Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

A new weight loss thread

A great book I borrowed from a friend is "Making the Cut" by Jillian Michaels (the chic from The Biggest Loser. It is a 30 day challenge, which includes meals and an excercise program. The meals I can handle, but the excercise is wow! But if I could get that body after 30 days!!!!
            Goal 1: Today
            Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Count me in!!

I quit drinking on Jan 7th and sweets have become my best friend!! I have been exercising on the treadmill and elpitical and also doing free weights, I have only lost 2lbs in 3 months!!! My legs are alot toner but I can't get ride of my stomach!! Alot of clothes are fitting better but I need to find some exercising that work for my upper thighs and the so called saddle bags.
              thanks BB and any advice would be great.
              I really excited about this.
              mya

Comment

A new weight loss thread

lukalee;305479 wrote: I'm in. My problem isn't so much about losing weight, but the weight I have is flabby. I need to increase my protein and exercise. I have started the protein issue this week, but I hate exercising. Any recommendations for good, high protein meals (sick of chicken) and excercise for those who hate it?
                Lukalee, I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet as it can be dangerous, however if you google it they have some good recipes that can be included in a healthy eating plan ......

BB xx
                sigpicXXX

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Beck;305476 wrote: Hey Betty Boop,

I'm in as well. A few years ago I was a keen runner and lost a bunch of weight (2 stone). Unfortunately, I quit the running before I quit the drinking!!!

Anyway, I'm in. Need to be much more diligent than I have been in a while. Now that I have lost the AL, I am ready to lose the weight.

Beck
                  Welcome Beck, keep us posted of your progress .....

BB xx
                  sigpicXXX

Comment

A new weight loss thread

mya;305499 wrote: I quit drinking on Jan 7th and sweets have become my best friend!! I have been exercising on the treadmill and elpitical and also doing free weights, I have only lost 2lbs in 3 months!!! My legs are alot toner but I can't get ride of my stomach!! Alot of clothes are fitting better but I need to find some exercising that work for my upper thighs and the so called saddle bags.
                    thanks BB and any advice would be great.
                    I really excited about this.
                    mya
                    Mya, although I am trained in nutrition, excercise is not my favourite topic ........ I don't have a lot of advice there ..... Hopefully a fitness expert will come along sometime ........

BB xx
                    sigpicXXX

Comment

A new weight loss thread

weight loss

I'm doing ok weight wise so far. Have lost about 4 lbs in about a month. I contribute that mostly to the cutback in wine calories. I exercise about 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day 5X's a week. I eat a lot of veges. If I get stressed I eat raw carrots...I buy the mini ones in the bag so it's quick to pour some out and pepper them. I have noticed, though, since abstaining that I crave sweets. I have eaten all my kids Easter candy. I know I need to control that in order to maintain good health and weight. That's my main delima right now. I look forward to any support and advise you can give. Thanks...readytoquit

Comment

A new weight loss thread

ready2quit;305549 wrote: I'm doing ok weight wise so far. Have lost about 4 lbs in about a month. I contribute that mostly to the cutback in wine calories. I exercise about 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day 5X's a week. I eat a lot of veges. If I get stressed I eat raw carrots...I buy the mini ones in the bag so it's quick to pour some out and pepper them. I have noticed, though, since abstaining that I crave sweets. I have eaten all my kids Easter candy. I know I need to control that in order to maintain good health and weight. That's my main delima right now. I look forward to any support and advise you can give. Thanks...readytoquit
                        Ready2quit, A diet high in carbs is really good to stop sweet cravings, but if you prefer to eat less carbs as many people do, then sweet fruit is good, a tip from my slimming group members is frozen grapes, suck them like a boiled sweet, also in the UK we have sugar free jelly, very low calorie and good for sweet cravings ...... as I'm not a sweet lover I don't have many ideas but i'm sure that others will be along with better ideas soon .....

BB xx
                        sigpicXXX

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Sunbeam;305348 wrote: Really good good eating books I have read include Midless Eating and Volumetrics. In Defense of Food is also fabulously informative. Any other suggestions? I have the impression the Weight Watchers also offers really sound advice.
                          In defense of food by Michael Pollan is a great book he has also written another one called the omnivores dilema.

it's more of an understanding of eating habits and industrialized food.

I am now on a mostly raw diet. It feels great. so I'll join you ladies and gents
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

A new weight loss thread

I really suggest not succuming to the sweets craving. it will make you moody. try fruits. some vegetables are high in sugar. if you must eat starch. eat potatoes, yams (good good). beets and carrots are also sweet.

candy is not a good way to deal with cravings. you might need to up your vitamin Bs also.

Comment

A new weight loss thread

betty boop;305531 wrote: Lukalee, I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet as it can be dangerous, however if you google it they have some good recipes that can be included in a healthy eating plan ......

BB xx
                              If you are going to increase your protein intake. please be sure to eat a lot of greens and vegetables. you also need to up calcium.

I have a high protein diet. and yes you will get lean muscle tone if you eat high protein.
                              you will need to up the greens like 1 to 2 lbs a day. ( weight before cooking)

Comment

A new weight loss thread

trixietrack;305582 wrote: In defense of food by Michael Pollan is a great book he has also written another one called the omnivores dilema.

it's more of an understanding of eating habits and industrialized food.

I am now on a mostly raw diet. It feels great. so I'll join you ladies and gents
                                Trixie, this might sound odd, but what does a mostly raw diet consist of???

Sounds really interesting ........

BB xx
                                sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
                                X