A new weight loss thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new weight loss thread

Hey BB - I'm glad to have this thread. I have known for years there is a link between sugar and white empty carbs and my horrible problem with alcohol. I could eat sugar by the pound when I am drinking and one leads to the other no matter what.

My doctor, who put me on campral, also suggested the South Beach Diet last year. She said her patients have had great success with it and the white flour issues were good for me to work on. It is low carb but not Atkins style - it focuses on healthy carbs and low-fat proteins. I eat a lot of chicken and salads and legumes and steamed veggies. I also eat a lot of nuts and indulge in sugar free popsicles and jello for "dessert." I have been craving pickles and olives (especially jalepeno or garlic stuffed). I don't know if its to get rid of the sweet craving or lacking sodium or what.

Anyway, I started last fall half-heartedly and lost 11 pounds by Jan 1. Since January 1 I've lost another 22 (was 24 but I gained 2 back in my romantic weekend last week and wont' know if I got rid of them again until tomorrow morning).

I highly suggest a diet that gets rid of sugar - - it'll drive you nuts for a few days but once you get rid of the cravings it all goes away - sugar, flour, cakey stuff, and AL.

I need to work on the exercise side of it now. going to go for a bike ride with my daughter this afternoon and have been trying to do crunches at night. I have a good 50 - 60 pounds to go to be where I want but feel confident with this diet I can do it because it takes care of all the cravings. If I eat pasta or bread I want more and I want Al. If I avoid them all, I am fine. when I get further along I will incorporate his other techniques in making sure any foods high in simple carbs are combined wtih protein or fat to help slow the glucose spike.

Anyway - thanks for starting this board. I hope my experience inspires someone to look at a south beach-like diet.
    Member since January 2008
    AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Tiredofhiding, where can we find details about this? I'm in the UK so i'm not familiar with it .....

DO they have a website ????

BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

A new weight loss thread

I'm definitely in!!

BB, the South Beach diet has been one of the 'all the rage' diets here in the States, for a few years. And IMHO it makes the most sense of the many 'fad' diets.

As I mentioned in another thread, I just got back home from an 8 day vacation. This is my 12th day AF - I've cut way back the past several months but this is the longest consecutive run I've had in years, and I'm sticking with it. I also have quit smoking - been cig free for 9 days. So now I'm ready for a whole new start with my body - eating and exercise.

I plan to do mostly raw food. I was a raw fooder a few years back and was healthier, more vibrant and thinner than I had ever been in my life. It's a great way to cleanse and lose weight. For more info, do a search. I read tons about it back then, was well prepared. There is vast info out there on raw foods diets.

While on vacation I got a lot more exercise than usual, as my daughter and I did lots of walking and some hiking, etc. Exercise has always been the hardest for me. But I will be establishing a routine and sticking with it.

I'm also going to use every positive thinking and manifesting power available. Starting with....
        I AM IN THE PROCESS OF LOSING 75 pounds!!!
        :jumpwow:
        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

A new weight loss thread

would love to join...but I have this feeling im not going to lose any wieght in the near furture...best to you all though...keeps tips and advice for me will need them later...LOL
          Jacqui xxx
          Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Hi Betty and everyone else. I would love to join. I need to lose 25 pounds and want to start now. This sounds great. Aquamarine
            NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
            AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

A new weight loss thread

The website is southbeachdiet.com the book has been out for several years. As with any diet there are those who take to extremes and those who heed the science. It has been working for me and is a diet I am comfortable with. I don't know what others say, but I feel good with it.

Got more sugar free popsicles, pickles, and salad today.
              AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

A new weight loss thread

we need a goal tracker here...i want to lose 10-15...

i posted this as a thread before but i'll bring it up again, does anyone here suffer from hypoglycemia?

i do and have done some research on it...watch out for the carbs....

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Hi bb. mostly raw means eating raw vegetables. and raw nuts . anything that hasn't been cooked.
                  I wouldn't recommend it in cold weather.

you basically end up eating loads of vegetables . you can puree them in a blender. to make cold soups.
                  or grated over leafy vegetables.

some people recommend also sushi, but I worry about the bacterial content .

you can also soften grains and beans by soaking them.

lightly steamed veggies also work.
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

A new weight loss thread

I'm a big fan of South Beach. I just have to really stick with it. I need to lose about 40 lbs. Are we going to weigh in like once a week?

Comment

A new weight loss thread

I've heard of south beach, but never tried it. I'm intrigued, think I may try a membership online, they do have a free trial. You have to use a credit card, but then you can cancel. I may look at the book too. I really need to go through my kitchen and throw out all the bad crap in there!!
                      Marcie

Comment

A new weight loss thread

It really helps me with the AL cravings when I stick with the program.

Comment

A new weight loss thread

I need to lose weight but need to get medical issues out of the way 1st. So many foods I can't eat now since I have diverticulitis. Some people do fine with it but I am not one of the lucky ones. The foods I can have right now are soft , mashed potatoes, carrots, pasta and some meats. I also have a tiwsted colon for which I am going in for my 4th ct scan , this one to see how twisted my colon is. Been in the hospital 3x's since Nov 07. I'll keep checking in. GL all.
                          If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at begin to change.

Comment

A new weight loss thread

South Beach

If you decide to try South Beach, definitely read the book. I don't know how much the online version really explains things and the book gives you the skills you need to make good choices when not at home. Plus, I'm a big fan of understanding "why" you're doing or not doing something. The program really works and is easy to get in a groove with and to see results quickly.

Let me know what you think.
                            AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Gemmy, that sounds awful. I hope you heal soon.
                              If you aren't already, I'd recommend seeing a practitioner who knows about healthy whole foods and nutritional healing. I wish you wellness!!
                              FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

A new weight loss thread

gemmy,

can you eat quinoa? it is one of the world's healthiest foods.

Comment

Working...
                                X