X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effect of sobriety on fitness

FallenAngel;355814 wrote: It didn't today :stomper:
    Wonder if this would help my fitness goals?? :hateputer:
    Okay you tell me... how do I make time for :baaah: & :ranger & :bedtime: ??

roflmao!!

yes...we sure have a third addiction to take care of pronto now - our addiction to the Net in general and mwo in particular.

And you also know, if I am asked for my opinion, I would be inclined to attack the third option.....:H

Knowing you as well as I do, I'm pretty sure that you shall crank up your fitness routine at the earliest. NordicTrack is sure beckoning!

Keep posting.

LessD
    *Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

Comment

Good for you mate - I'm quitting for the same reason. Have become a lazy, depressive, pathetic f&^k to be brutally honest, and it's time I reclaim myself and my sprit. If it means quitting the sauce, then so be it. But I will be alive again, and that is my ultimate revenge on all the things that have been driving me to drink of late - bullshit exs included.

cheers to you!

Comment

Couldnt have put it better myself Zed!
        Think you summed me up very well in your first sentence.
        Taking the dogs out NOW for a VERY brisk walk )
        Have a great day!
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Ok, so the walk is done. Through the leafy streets of the Embassy District of Beijing... it's late Autumn, the leaves are falling, the wind is brisk and the light is ethereal. On the way back, I almost went over to a cafe to pick up some oily sandwich for dinner, but chose not to, since I have some salad laying around waiting to be eaten. Also worth a note: I passed my booze shop on the walk... didn't stop. Which means there's no booze in the house tonight (except for 6 cans of beers that have been laying in my fridge for a couple of months -- for the record, I don't consider any light beer (lagers) as a real drink and I never touch the stuff. So it's safely just going to remain there in case I have a guest come by home. So it's a night of sobriety coming up. Day 1. Itching though needless to say. But I am quietly confident! Ok, time to hit the mill and do some presses. Then a shower, dinner and a movie. Have a great day ALL! I am getting to the end of Nov 2, a lot of you are just beginning it. All the BEST!

Comment

doubter,i had to respond,you have made a great accomplsihment,and my hat is off to you,be careful xercise doesnt take control of you.som mite get angry with me beleive me or not even in drinking we strived for more,i beleive you are 37,back in 1989 i found running also,over wt,185 lbs,dropped to 157 within a month and 5 days,over acheiver ,just like drink,in a 10 year span,i ran 12 marathons,12 ten mile road races,the 10 being the oldest 10 in caada,thunderbay,4 half marathons,a few 5 ks and 10ks,I like many am an over doer,just like drinking,slow and easy,your bod will last longer gyco

Comment

Hi All
              I think gyco has a very valid point .Many of us have been addicted to many different things in our lives.Some choices better than others.I Had been very involved in different sports and always took them to the point of becoming totally consumed. Running, tennis biking etc..I am just now stepping back and putting more balance in my routine.I used tennis and physical activity to break out of the grip of al but now I have to balance my rest recovery,nutrition and the rest of my life.I need to feel stronger and considering that I am not young anymore I realize that my rest days are as important as my workout days. Yes it's great to get involved with any physical activity but Don't let it run you down to the fatigue state .Be careful of getting injured .They can lead to excuses to "slip"

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
              AF 5-16-08
              Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
              AF 5-16-08

Comment

Very true Caysea. I used to run pretty obsessively, damaged my knees and then had to more or less stop. So what did I do? Stop altogether. I want to get back to it but gently this time
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I'm also starting running slowly again. I used to run long, long distances. There certainly is an addictive quality. It's still better than booze, though.

I am finding that now that I am achieving more and more AF days, my energy level is fantastic. My biggest problem with that is that I cannot afford to get bored. Boredom is the biggest reason for my relapse. I sometimes think that my mind races like a freight train. Were it not that I seldom get depressed, I would suspect bi-polar.. I think that it might be anxiety based though.

I have agreed to run a 5km race with my daughter on New Years day. It's the most wonderful way of welcoming the new year, fresh, sober and hopeful.

Comment

This was quite a good post. I'm a runner myself, and although alcohol hasn't affected my athletic performance or cardiovascular fitness in general, in periods of abstention I have noticed an even greater improvement to my health from my exercise regime, despite the fact that I still feel healthy even while I'm drinking. It is definitely true that the damage caused by alcohol is subtle.

Comment

greetings

Wishing veritas, 5thaday and all mwoers a very happy New Year.

Veritas, nice to know that you've planned to usher in the new year with a 5K run. I too have started the new year on the right note, running a practice run of 5 K + in the morning. I'm preparing to take part in a 5 K run on Jan 24th for which I am running on alternate days.

Since being AF, I am able to exercise more optimally than ever. As pointed out, my energy levels are up. Also, I am able to be far more disciplined now since quitting drinking. No more late nights, so no more hungover mornings. Also more free time available for engaging in fulfilling activities.

5thaday!
                      Nice to meet a runner on the forum. I am a true penguin - an amateur running enthusiast - and I run for the pure joy of the activity. Look forward to knowing you better.

Karmayogi
                      *Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

Comment

:new:
                        veritas;505144 wrote: I'm also starting running slowly again. I used to run long, long distances. There certainly is an addictive quality. It's still better than booze, though.

I am finding that now that I am achieving more and more AF days, my energy level is fantastic. My biggest problem with that is that I cannot afford to get bored. Boredom is the biggest reason for my relapse. I sometimes think that my mind races like a freight train. Were it not that I seldom get depressed, I would suspect bi-polar.. I think that it might be anxiety based though.

I have agreed to run a 5km race with my daughter on New Years day. It's the most wonderful way of welcoming the new year, fresh, sober and hopeful.
                        :new: Me too adding to my AA meeting since last october I start running. I joined the running room clinic.
                        I did one 5 k race in December 6.. I was attending the clinic 3 time a week an go to meeting 3 time a week ... I stay sober but with the occasional drink... I did enjoy my sobriety.. I like my wine.. Same problem as you I can afford to get bored...
                        sigpic Brand new

Comment

I am very happy to have found this thread. I have been an athletic person my whole life.

I also have drank for many many years of my life.

Now that I am becoming more conscious of everything and doing a lot of reflection, I realized that alcohol does so many negatives things to a person.

Deep down in my soul, I crave to be healthy again and to the fitness level I once was.

I am not a runner nor have I ever been. For some reason, long distance running bores me. My 3 sports of choice are tennis, volleyball and basketball. I played tennis on a tournament level as a ranked player and used to practice with men so I could increase my strength in hitting. I played volleyball in college and later played in 2 on 2 leagues.

Now I sit here and wonder what the hell happened to me? I guess as bad things happened in my life, I replaced working out with drinking and over the years have diminished my ability to last a long time when excercising. I know I am ready now to start again. When I have worked out in the past 6 months, I've been surprised at my endurance. It is better than I thought. I am only 2 days af after 9 days. I am resting my body and ridding of the toxins and will start excercise in a few days. I know that now as I am middle aged, it takes at least 5-6 days for me to have energy again after drinking. I don't smoke unless I drink so I really do it up when I decide to drink.

I'm tired of it. It's no fun anymore. I dream of playing tennis again and being active everyday of my life.

Doubt and everyone- thanks for the posts. They have given me the motivation I need.

n/z
                          __________________________________________________ _

Love yourself enough to walk away from what no longer serves you.

Comment

Good Stuff. I'm 57 and read the book in 1974 and ran ever since. I rememeber reading in that book Dr. Cooper claiming if you could keep running for 6 weeks...you would'nt give it up. Very true. The only thing I enjoyed more than running was the drinking I did afterwards or each nite having convinced myself I deserved it. I am currently in day 5 my latest commitment to live normal. I quit the first time for 16 years (78-94), the 2nd time for 16 months....and now Im in day 5 the 3rd time. Whew! This is without a doubt the hardest time I have had...the cravings incredible. The lesson....if you have stopped don't start. Each time the difficulty to get up the self control compounds. I am glad the running is even motivating for you now that you are sober. That is very cool. Good Luck with your new life. It's Great.

Comment

Good Stuff. I'm 57 and read the book in 1974 and ran ever since. I rememeber reading in that book Dr. Cooper claiming if you could keep running for 6 weeks...you would'nt give it up. Very true. The only thing I enjoyed more than running was the drinking I did afterwards or each nite having convinced myself I deserved it. I am currently in day 5 of my latest commitment to live normal. I quit the first time for 16 years (78-94), the 2nd time for 16 months....and now Im in day 5 the 3rd time. Whew! This is without a doubt the hardest time I have had...the cravings incredible. I was convinced a week ago I was self destructing with no recourse. The lesson....if you have stopped don't start. Each time the difficulty to get up the self control compounds. I am glad the running is even motivating for you now that you are sober. That is very cool. Good Luck with your new life. It's Great.

Comment

Good Stuff. I'm 57 and read the book in 1974 and ran ever since. I rememeber reading in that book Dr. Cooper claiming if you could keep running for 6 weeks...you would'nt give it up. Very true. The only thing I enjoyed more than running was the drinking I did afterwards or each nite having convinced myself I deserved it. I am currently in day 5 of my latest commitment to live normal. I quit the first time for 16 years (78-94), the 2nd time for 16 months....and now Im in day 5 the 3rd time. Whew! This is without a doubt the hardest time I have had...the cravings incredible. I was convinced a week ago I was self destructing with no recourse. The lesson....if you have stopped don't start. Each time the difficulty to get up the self control compounds. I am glad the running is even motivating for you now that you are sober. That is very cool. Good Luck with your new life. It's Great.
                                We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience
                                Teilhard De Chardin

Comment

Working...
                                X