Race for the Cure October 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took Saturday and Sunday off--maybe that was a mistake, but mother nature just didn't allow it. Yesterday when I started to jog--my knees hurt. It got a little better as I walked/jogged. I assume this is probably a sign I should stick to bike riding and walking. I had a feeling this might happen, but I guess I thought they would start hurting right away.
    I'm not quitting though....I'm trying to find someone that will walk with me.
    I love my new little MP3. I have already listened to "The Last Lecture" and started "The Pillars of the Earth". Good investment me thinks!!
    Thanks again for your support!!:h
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Keep up the hard work :wings:
      :l
      LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

way to go,great cause to runn for,and beleive it or not,i was a runner,dont hurt yourslf start slow,it will bite you in the BUTT,have fun,gyco

Comment

Only 2 weeks until the race! I'm going to my chiropractor today to see if he can help my knees. I should have known an old lady that has never ran can't just jump in and train for a 5K even. I'm still getting support from people saying it can be done, with the right shoes, etc... But it's just not worth it to me to ruin my knees at this point. I can still get a good aerobic workout in with my bike, and hopefully with enough ibuprofen can walk, walk, walk! (Those hills are a bugger though)
          I'm not giving up on the race, it's just going to take me longer to the finish!!:H:H
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hang in there :wings:
            LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Leaving for Denver tomorrow, the race is Sunday bright and early! I'm as ready as I can be. My DC helped my knees, but suggested I don't run until I get the right shoes and orthotics for them since my feet are so flat. I had to train on my bike only for a week, and this week I've been walking with hardly any pain. So I will be walking the race--which is ok with me because there will lots going on around me that I will want to take in.

The forecast is calling for rain--I hope it holds out until we're done.

I hope to keep up the walking/biking/yoga fitness routine. I haven't lost much weight yet, but I look and feel better!! Would never, ever have even considered doing this when I was still drinking/smoking!

I want to thank you all for your support! And to anyone fighting cancer and survivors out there--this ones for you!!

Comment

Best wishes for Sunday! :wings:
                LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

LV.....Go for it ! I'ld participate myself, but I can't cause my monkey has my wheel chair ! ( Man I can't even believe that one myself. Ha! Good Luck IAD)
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'ld participate myself, but my monkey has my wheel chair ! Ha! ( Damn, I can't even believe that one myself ! Ha! IAD ) Good Luck......My father and Mother-in-law both died of Cancer.
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Kick some butt LVT25...I'll be thinking of you!
                      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

I DID IT!!

WOW!! What a great experience!! I would highly recommend anyone that can walk to get to one of these fund raisers! I can't begin to describe it! I haven't heard the final count, but I know there was close to 70,000 people there! If you get a chance google the Denver News channels and check it out!

We were running just a little late and had to hurry to the 7 am start. But t=since there were so many, it wasn't hard to just file right in and go! So, we're trucking along at a pretty good pace, and after about 1/4 mile we're thinking cool! Then we see the START line! :H

I told my friend, well, I think maybe we better slow down a little bit!!:H

The weather was gorgeous. I hate to be cold, so I had tights under my pants, long sleeve shirt over my t-shirt, gloves and ear warmer. Didn't take long to lose the jacket, gloves and ear warmer!! People along the route had big pink ribbons on their homes, one older lady was sitting on her porch with a pink pom pom! They had cheerleaders and bands all along the route. All different types of people with one common interest. Most had the pink signs on their back either celebrating or commemorating someone with breast cancer. A lot of them had pictures of their loved ones. Some were dressed really wild--pink hair--feather boas--dogs in pink--one guy had a pink tutu and had shaved his chest hair into the shape of the "ribbon"!

After the race we got goodie bags with snacks and water. Various sponsors had tents and that was interesting with that many women and free stuff galore!! Got some cool souvenirs though.

The friend we were walking for walked the 1 mile race also. She had just had a chemo treatment on Thursday! Her granddaughter walked with her and it was pretty emotional.

All in all we had a great time! Ate lots of good food and even did a little shopping. Oh, and we went downtown Denver to Floyd's barbershop and all got haircuts on Saturday! The girls that cut our hair all had punkish hairdos and piercings and tattoos. Walking on the wild side now I tell you!! What a bunch of hicks!!!

Today, I'm really tired and a bit sore. I know it was only a 5 K, but I'm sure we walked at least twice that. I'm so glad my pastor invited me to join them that day in Church. I'm glad I listened to God's answers to my prayers to get motivated. I'm glad I don't get drunk every other night nor smoke 1/2 pack of ciggies. I'm glad I'm changing my life.

BTW, awhile back there was a couple of threads about spouses that drink, and leading by example. While I was gone, DH of course was in charge of the kids. And not only did he get them to Sunday School, he took them to Church--by himself! I'm in awe! :h

I want to thank all of you for your support and encouragement! It really helped me get out there everyday! I'm not going to stop. But I might take today off!! :l

Comment

Excellent post! I am so happy for you. Same time next year?
                          LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Hi ltv
                            It is good to hear you had such a great experience. Nice to see the positive lifestyle change not only benefit's you but also a great cause. This is such a great example of action for the rest of us.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                            AF 5-16-08
                            Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                            AF 5-16-08

Comment

What fun!! I love running in huge groups. You look ahead and behind, all you can see are heads. It's like a wave of people.

So glad it was a great experience.

nat
                              Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Working...
                              X