Fitness Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitness Advice

I'm loving this thread. Thank you theTruth and friends.

just for fun, here's some inspiration for us all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qZX7KgqVpM&feature=related[/video]]YouTube - The strongest 60-year-old woman in the world
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Fitness Advice

Sunbeam;694538 wrote: Hi Truth,
      Your advice to EAT MORE caught my eye! I am 55 years old, very active in the summer with biking and gardening daily, yoga weekly, other stretching and strengthening for my bad back twice weekly. In the other months I swim twice weekly, continue those routines for my back. My weight has been stable for the past few years, but I would like to lose 10-15#, get back into a size 8. I know I will never be a size 6 again, lol! Every time I cut back on my calories, I lose a couple of pounds the first week, then nothing though I am eating less. I eat quality food, lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains. I try to eat fruits and raw veggies through the day, to keep my metabolism from dropping. The HIIT sounds like something I should try, I do have 1# weights, but I prefer my current activities over weights. I think I've heard of a diet where you vary the calories every few days. Does that work?
      Sunbeam,

You can incorporate HIIT in any type of activity, I am going to take biking as an example since it's in the list of things you like.

Biking HIIT Routine:

3 - 5: Warmup
      :30 - 1: Pedal as fast as you can
      1 - 3: at an above average pace
      repeat between 4 - 6 times when starting off, then steadily increase.
      3 - 5: cool down

Thats a very basic breakdown of HIIT just to give you an example.

As far as varying the amount of calories you eat each day, I am not to fond of this because all you are doing is essentially tricking your body. Sort of a shock and awe technique which in the long run could be detrimental to your health. Slight variations are ok, but going from 1000 calories one day to 2000 the next is not a good idea.

hope that helps, and GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Fitness Advice

Determinator;695362 wrote: I'm loving this thread. Thank you theTruth and friends.

just for fun, here's some inspiration for us all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qZX7KgqVpM&feature=related[/video]]YouTube - The strongest 60-year-old woman in the world
        Thank you Determinator and that video is great motivation! Thanks!

Comment

Fitness Advice

Here's a fun fact for everyone!

No matter how much you hate something it only takes the human body 2-4 weeks to create a habit out of something, whether that be not drinking or exercising everyday. RIDE IT OUT for the first couple of weeks and wait for the habit to form!

Comment

Fitness Advice

Truth,
            Thanks! I believe your numbers represent minutes (duh!). It seems like some varying intensities already occur with the terrain of my bike rides, but that would include coasting down some hills - not what you had in mind! I'm thinking this concept might be most easily applied to my swimming. I rotate strokes (crawl, breast, back) but intensity stays about the same. I'd probably do it by lengths or laps (2 lenghts). Any thoughts on that? I can't keep my eye on a watch, but I can count. My biking is seasonal, but I swim laps 10 months per year, twice weekly.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Fitness Advice

hello there - just personal messaged you, am desperate for some advice!thanks
              one day at a time

Comment

Fitness Advice

:goodjob:This is another great and helpfull thread here. thanks thetruth:crazymonkey:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Fitness Advice

hi the truth, i am just wondering i go to the gym 4 times a week,is there any particular time you should eat, before or after you go, sometimes i have porridge or special k with soya milk before and what should i eat afterwards.:thanks:

Comment

Fitness Advice

mario;699855 wrote: hi the truth, i am just wondering i go to the gym 4 times a week,is there any particular time you should eat, before or after you go, sometimes i have porridge or special k with soya milk before and what should i eat afterwards.:thanks:
                    You should have something small and not oily 1 hour before you workout and post workout you want to put protein in your body as soon as possible. 30 - 45 min window where your body is craving it.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Fitness Advice

Thanks thetruth for your advice, how are you doing yourself with your alcohol.

Comment

Fitness Advice

Hi truth
                        I have been on a low carb diet for almost 3 weeks and have lost 3kg and am now at just over 65kg but I seem to be stuck there for the last week and not going down any further. I run 5 days a week about 8km (its up and down hills so its a bit like interval training) and walk lots too. I dont really like carbs or fruit that much anyway due to fructose intolerance issues so its a relatively easy diet for me and I have been eating what seems like a lot more than usual. Nuts, steak, fish, eggs, salads, olives, cheese, tomotoes etc. I notice when ketosis kicks in it is very similar to the AL cravings (sugar/carb cravings) I used to get so I have been taking the l-glut as I dont like the sensation. Does this kick me out of ketosis and stop the fat burning? I am about 5ft 4inches and only want to lose another couple of kilos but I seem to be stuck. Any help is appreciated thanks muchly.
                        m

Comment

Fitness Advice

mario;702582 wrote: Thanks thetruth for your advice, how are you doing yourself with your alcohol.
                          Stopped it cold turkey! Thanks for asking! My mission now is to help others as best I can!

Comment

Fitness Advice

A person needs to reduce their food intake and burn more calories through exercise to lose weight. It is also important to keep moving throughout the day to keep your metabolism up. You burn more calories when you sleep if that is instead of eating - many people eat a lot in the evening.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Fitness Advice

Hi thetruth - wow thanks for the offer of advice

I am trying to loose 1.5 stone to get myself back to my normal weight, I am mid thirties, 5ft10" (lady), 11stone 11.5llbs. I have been A/F for 24 days, eat very healthily (although it is three meals a day - shall I change this?). I am due to start excercising this monday (had a knee op in beginning of sept but am now 100% fit.. well my knee is!) and intend to use my treadmill at home (its a good one, I unfortunately can't afford the gym due to hubbys redundancy - only one wage coming in now). I need to firm up inner thighs/outer thigh, bum, tum... al bloomin over really. I would like some suggestions on how to firm up top half pls as I think (?) the treadmill will do the rest. How long would you recommend on the treadmil pls? Would the video you posted Lil be of use to me?

I don't smoke and eat very well (even through my drinking its been a balanced diet - kinda gets couteracted though when you drink like a fish - which of course I will not be doing!!)

Thanks thetruth - your advice is really really apprecited - I am a technical architect so can only also offer like lil to bore you in return x

Comment

Working...
                              X