Weight loss after menopause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks Sunbeam-I'll go look at your first post. I totally agree with you-it's got to be a lifestyle change. I've been substituting sugar for AL these past few months so I need a kick start. What I like about WW is the accountability and the meetings. Now that I'm gong to be able to be totally honest about what I put in my mouth, I think I will do well. I have to kick the fast food/junk food cycle I've been in for decades and I have to find a way to make time to prepare healthy meals at home instead of eating the frozen dinners which I really don't like at all. They are not filling or satisfying in the least. I have upped the exercise lately tho so I'm happy about that. I'm going to use this thread to not only record my weight but my exercise as well. Got a fancy new pedometer that records cal burned, steps/miles and supposedly your pulse but I can't get that part to work. Might have to return it and exchange for a new one.

June 9, 2010

Weighed 163 on Monday. Walked 1.4 miles monday, 1.25 miles today.
    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Papmom, that's great , 90 days AF. We can do this together: I started at 148, and I went down to 136, and now I'm at 139. I would love to get down to 130 by September. Summer is a great time to eat less and be more active. My work schedule is changing with a new job, but I will try to weigh in on Mondays.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Weight Watchers

Got officially weighed in today (outside of my doc's office): 166. Course had clothes on -that's worth about 2 lbs right? JK. Anyway-good meeting and I even got a star to put on my bookmark for choosing an apple over chocolate yesterday and being totally floored by how filling it was, how good it tasted and how it kept me going until my 7:30 pm dinner last nite!!
        Tomorrow is walking at lunch. Rain should be gone by then. Quandry: do I continue posting my Monday weight or just post the WW weight?

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Papmom, I will be posting my weight on Mondays. I will post the lowest weight I have seen on the scale that week. It is too discouraging if I happen to weigh 2# more on Monday than Sunday. My weight varieswithin a 4# range. These are not fluctuations of "real" weight. I post what is honest and most motivating to me.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Nice to see this again! Posting from my phone so will be quick. I got rid of all my diet books, too much guilt I did track calories for a few days, what a shocker! I'm now just trying to eat reasonably 'well', and watch portion sizes etc. I'm also getting into an exercise routine and enjoying it. It has been slow, but I'm down to 139, and only gained when I went back to uk in April. Unfortunately I'm down a full cup size and looking deflated, but they stll look ok when hoisted in a good bra so not too worried.
            onwards and upwards everyone!
            Xx
            Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

LOL SB!! I can't wait to get "deflated" :H
              Sunbeam-still haven't decided what day to post yet. I'll try Monday knowing it will be a week or so before my body gets into the groove with Monday weighins. I say whatever floats your boat and keeps you motivated!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Heyb Bets,
                Glad to see you here. Yeah, what's with that cup size thing? My size is saggin' but it is better with booster style.

Comment

OK, my official weigh in day will be Thursdays from now on!! Tough weekend!!:H

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Hey Sunbeam and everybody! I was thinking about this thread last week and saw it was back.

I'm still hanging in there too, and am right about at 130 (yay!). I agree 100% with Sunbeam - it is lifestyle change rather than "a diet". It has also been a slow process, but steady many plateaus for sure.

I thought at first when I went AF I would lose weight like crazy (when I was younger that would happen). Instead I gained 7 pounds.

What I did (and am still doing) is healthy eating, regular exercise, etc. I use the Daily Plate calorie counter which calculates everything as well as breaks it down into protein, carbs, etc, as well as how active you need to be for your age to either maintain your weight or for weight loss. I try to think of it as getting healthier rather than losing weight, which comes back oh too easily, especially in our age group. :H

I find what works best for me (and makes me feel the best mentally) is a fairly high protein with little to none refined carbs. I eat lots of vegetables. Also love nuts (learned to not get too carried away though) and olive oil.

The good news is, my BP is now great (what it was in my 20s), my bloodwork is good, and I took my "fat jeans" to storage - actually they were the ones I wore every day, but are now definitely a size too big.

Anyway, good to see this thread up and running - it really does help with the accountability thing, just like the rest of this site. It also helped me put some new positive habits in place, and they starting to really pay off.

Betty, you're down to 139? When do the dance classes start?

Have a great week everyone! :h
                    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Hi Dance,
                      Thank you so much for that link to the Daily Plate. I just signed up and tracked my food so far for the day and WOW!! Calorie wise I'm OK I think for the rest of the day but my sugar and sodium are off the charts and I haven't had one piece of candy or other "sweets" today except for fruit!!
                      I've also used Sparkpeople.com which is totally free and very similar but the format for entering food and exercise on the Daily Plate is Soooooo much easier and faster! I think I'm going to stick with this and of course track my WW points at the same time.
                      Thanks again!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Dancelot! So good to see you back here.

I'm at 138 this week. I did pop back up a little from my rock-bottom low, but I'm still down 10# from where I started.

I love the weight chart at Calorie Counters. It really helped me understand that weight is a range, not a fixed point. Then I don't feel discouraged when I fluctuate within my range.

What a nice menu we have here - of places to go on the web for weight loss help!

Comment

WW Weigh In

Whoo Hoo!! Lost 2.4 lbs!! I shared my Daily Plate Food Diary with my fellow members at the meeting today and told them how I was using it to supplement the tracking of points. I really don't find it very much extra work at all and to be able to keep track of the sugar and sodium consumption is really going to help me on my next shopping trip and my overall health.
                          Hope everyone is having a great week!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

I found those charts showing sugar consumption enlightening - especially when I thought I ate little or none! Amazing where it shows up, and how easy it is to go over the recommended amount. Same thing with sodium - when you see how much is added to almost any type of processed food (that is, anything, even canned beans for example or soup).

Congratulations on 2.4 pounds, Papmom! Slow and steady does work!
                            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

only down .2 today but better than what I thought it would be considering I hardly did any walking due to the heat this week and I ate like I was going to die the next day over the weekend. I think I was trying to punish myself for starting the slide into Diabetes and Kidney disease. I know it doesn't make any sense but I was pissed (american term not english lol!!) that this was happening. I'm over that now and very much committed to being as healthy as I can be despite what the test show. I'm taking it ODAT just like with AL.

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Hi Papmom and Dancelot,
                                I saw 137.5 this morning, plus another time this week so believe it is not just a fluctuation. I am entering a new routine, new chapter in my life and it is an ideal time to establish new habits.

Comment

Working...
                                X