Wt loss Exercise Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wt loss Exercise Thread

sapphire1;987453 wrote: reading back I am seeing people getting a bit hung up with what the scale says. As sunny says do not define success simply by what the the number is on the scale. Narrowing it down to numbers is setting yourself up for disappointment and also dismisses the many other fantastic benefits that a healthy life is giving you. For many of us weight loss might be the main motivator, but that is only part of the whole picture. Consider what we are doing in wholistic terms: Cardiovascular Health; Bone Density and the prevention of osteoporosis; Hormonal regularity; Emotional wellbeing; Strength and flexility; Stamina - the ability to perform our day to day activities with plenty of zest and some left over; Longevity...and the list goes on and on.........Also consider that as we lose fat and gain muscle, at times this wont be indicated on the scale and unless you have some way of measuring this such as a bio-impedance machine, then you;ll have to go on whats in front of you when you look in the mirror. Notice small changes, like the development of more muscle tone and the way that you stand up straighter, move more easily, can lift things with confidence etc. You might also notice more spring in your step and an increase in confidence. Notice a deepening respect and healthy relationship with your body, this fantastic machine that is our temple for life. If you want a more subjective measure of 'WAIST LOSS' take body measurements weekly or try on some clothing that doesnt quite do up and aim to get it to fit. Over the years I have seen people totally discouraged because they didnt understand the difference between WEIGHT LOSS AND WAIST LOSS....assuming the scales were the pinnacle of their success. Dont become a victim of over-zealous reliance on numbers and keep the big picture in mind. Love Saffx
    Gosh Sapphire,
    Thank you so much for the info. I needed to hear that. I am one who is always hung up on
    what the scales say. I have to calm down on that or i will be discouraged. I know my body is changing , I can tell from the past weeks of exercise and diet. I know the numbers will show what i want sooner or later. I just have to have patience. !
    YOU CREATE YOUR OWN REALITY

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Rode my bike 6 miles today. I plan on walking some tonight....

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Fluff, I used to workout at gym and eat well for a few weeks but in back of my mind I knew I was prepping my body for the next binge! Now that I am comfortably and permanently committed to abstinence it is so much better for my head and my body. This may work for you. Meanwhile do the best you can but realize that you won't really get consistent results until you give up the alcohol. It sounds as though you already realize that anyway.
        Best of luck. I hope you can follow your best judgment.
        Sunny

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

I did a 30 mile bike tour today Tour de Shawnee in Olive Branch , IL. It was awesome. Some of the most beautiful countryside !

Too tired to even complain..lol
          Bout over did it, but it's a good tired !

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

bratty57;988002 wrote: I did a 30 mile bike tour today Tour de Shawnee in Olive Branch , IL. It was awesome. Some of the most beautiful countryside !

Too tired to even complain..lol
            Bout over did it, but it's a good tired !
            Wowsers 30 miles! Lets see thats about 48kms.....fantastic effort:goodjob: Is your bum sore:H If so a nice bath in radox or epsom salts would be the go. Bet you are feeling wonderful. I'm off to walk the dog today...if I everdrag myself off the computer that is...have a happy healthy day everyone. LOve Saff
            I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

HI Sapphire,

Yes, my backside was hurting the most on the last five miles. Now that i have rested some it is my upper legs that are in pain. Should be better tomorrow? Or I might have trouble getting out of bed in the morning...lol

It was a bit hilly and they tried to kill you on the first five miles with some steep ones..lol. I loved it. It was the longest one i have done yet. I dont think i will be moving up in miles for a while, though. It was tough.

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

No exercise today... i will make up for it tomorrow though. Was blue Monday. Couldnt get myself in gear.

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Hi Bratty, started the morning off with head cold boo hoo. I dont feel much doing anything but will force ,myself out the door with the dog for a walk and then veg out on the couch for a while. Dont beat yourself up for not doing exercise every day....sometimes you have to surrender to the body's need to rest, after all you did have that massive ride a couple of days ago. As alkies we have to be careful about trading one addiction for another and that goes for exercise as well. I was a total exercise junkie for about 20 years, developed an eating disorder, body dysmorphia, periods stopped, hair started to fall out etc. All due to excessive exercise and limited calories. These days I have to be much more aware of this and take a more moderate approach. I still like nothing more than the satisfaction of a really decent workout, but just as importantly eat well and rest well. The signs to look out for are increased irritability when you cant get your workout in and obsessing about how your body looks. A decrease in performance and taking longer to recover after sessions is a red light as well. Have a lovely day, see you tomorrow
                  I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

HI Sapphire,
                    I know what you mean about trading one addiction for another. I am a bit obsessed about exercise. Just like today, my plans were thwarted because of rain. It is such a downer to me. I wanted to get out on my bike , but cant.
                    I was also shocked to get on the scales and have gained 2 lbs. I was strict on my diet yesterday even though i didnt get any exercise. So, i have started out the day with 2 downers..rain and weight gain for what appears to be no reason.
                    I sure hope it comes off today. I am going to try to get some weight liftin in and hopefully a walk if the rain stops.
                    Have a great day !

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Rain stopped. I am in a better mood. I realize my weight HAS to be fluid retention or something like it. It will come back off.
                      Plus, i got to walk 2 miles, worked out with weights 20 minutes, did my ab exercises and rode my bike 2 1/2 miles. So in better spirits now and ready to fight the fat. lol

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

I did a 3 mile slow jog- and 50 stair push-ups...
                        Bratty have you been eating salty foods? like soups? that might be retaining your water...
                        I notice that if I eat soup I tend to lose the weight slower...
                        Or if I drink cherry tea-it seems to act as a diuretic... and the scale drops a bit...
                        You sound really good!
                        It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Yes, Fluff,
                          I think the lean cuisine dinners i have been eating have too much sodium in them. Thanks for the tip on the cherry tea. I will have to try it. If i can find it, never seen it before.

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

bratty57;990226 wrote: Rain stopped. I am in a better mood. I realize my weight HAS to be fluid retention or something like it. It will come back off.
                            Plus, i got to walk 2 miles, worked out with weights 20 minutes, did my ab exercises and rode my bike 2 1/2 miles. So in better spirits now and ready to fight the fat. lol
                            Gday Bratty,

waist loss is never on a completley descending bell curve. Especially with females, due to hormonal fluctuations it is normal and indeed desirable to fluctuate from 1-4lbs in a month. dont get too hung up about it and remember that subjective measurements are not with the scales alone, but girth measurements. I take measures at these sites with my clients to get a clearer picture of fat loss: Neck; upper-arm; chest, under bust; waist; mid abdomen; fullest part of the hips (not around where torso meets thighs); upper thigh; mid thigh; top of knee and mid calf. It is worth doing this one a fortnight (no more often than that) and you will be pleasantly surprised. If you really on what the scales tell you only, you will set yourself up for disappointment. Another thing to consider is this: gaining muscle also might register on the scales and during muscle growth phases the body can hold more fluid temporarliy as a metabolic change is taking place. And dont forget that restricting calories too severley will eventually result in the metabolic setpoint being lowered as the body registers starvation and will hold onto fat for all it is worth...so chow down...make it good quality and fresh is best. Love Saffxx

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Yesterday
                              October 27, Wednesday

I walked 1 mile and rode my bike 5 miles. Was a very windy day, so bike was great exercise!

Hi Sapphire,
                              Thank you for the advice. I need to take measurements and see what progress i am making. I sure can tell that my clothes are getting loser and that i am shaping up. I use to be quite heavy, so now i am obsessed with the scale; which i know isnt good.
                              But my fear is that if i dont weigh every day , my weight will creep up and i will be lying to myself that it isnt happening. This way i have to face what i weigh each day and know not to over eat.
                              I am trying to eat more whole grains and fruit. It is hard. I am staying on a calorie diet and it sure it hard to eat fruit when i want bread..lol.. but i am doing better with that.

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Bratty- I buy Celestial Seasonings Black Cherry tea-I also like their Blueberry tea...
                                It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Working...
                                X