52 Healthy Habits in 52 Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone thanks Tips for starting this and I have been lurking so far and enjoying all the ideas :thanks: count me in.

For me one of the first things I changed in going AF was to have a healthy breakfast something I would never normally do. I would be too hungover until at least lunchtime to be able to stomach anything. Now I have a good breakfast every morning no matter what, my usual is porridge with cinnamon and sultanas, with grapes and cr?me freche, with stewed apples or anything else that makes it feel a bit special. If I?m in a hurry it?s oatabix and fruit or yoghurt and fruit; the other change is that I only use soya milk and spreads now as I am trying to cut down on saturated fats.

I also take my supplements every day to keep me healthy and craving free (as much as possible) and I start each morning with a big glass of water with lemon sometimes two glasses. Now I am in the habit of doing these things it feels wrong if I miss a morning and I have to catch up somehow when I get to work - so the good habits have become the norm.

However, I need to start exercising and love exercising outdoors so for the next week I commit to 15 minutes exercise every day ? walking, jogging etc to kick start my lazy backside. Tomorrow is day one and I?ll let you know how I get on.

Dewdrop :h
    Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

yay for us all. I love all the positive feedback that we are giving ourselves. I get to my computer and the first thing I do every morning is go over the list from the day before and check off all that I accomplished. it always feels great to tick off each box. If I had a clean day (no booze) I make all my ticks in aqua marine blue just to remind myself of how good I am doing in that department. I am on week 5 so my little spreadsheet is a must now. Love the sound of your breakfast Dew Drop. Tommorrow I think I'll simmer myself a little oatmeal... maybe Scottish Oats... I'll add my wild Canadian Blueberries and have myself an international breakfast. Might just throw back some Florida lemon juice while I am at it.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

With respect to "wasting food" I recently read that it is better to "waste" it into the garbage than into our bodies. When we have had our healthy share and there are leftovers which won't save go ahead and "waste" them or they will become YOUR Waist!
        Having said that we can plan more carefully for our healthy eating and less waste. I think I save money even tho I am buying quality food because I am not: buying liquor or fast food or junk food. I am eating lower on the food chain and those things seem to cost less as I have to do the preparing work rather than paying someone to overseason it with salt, fat or sugar. It is all good. I am learning how to treat myself as I would my best friend. It is very freeing. Good luck to all
        Sunny

Comment

I agree Sunny. I did not mean for us to eat three chicken breasts when we only can comfortably eat 2. I meant to re-use the left-overs in a soup the next day and actually eat or freeze the soup. Not let it sit in the fridge until it goes bad. That seems to be my pattern. Cooking too much, eating my normal small portion and watching the remains waste away in the fridge.

On another note, why don't we all make our # 52 item "Do something to impact the world in a positive way." By the time we've accomplished adopting all 51 healthy habits we will have the physical, emotional and mental strength to do ANYTHING !! Pick your favourite cause and away we go!! Just a suggestion.
          Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Adler, an early psychologist, said that a person could never get too depressed if they did something for another person every day. I agree. Your ide #52 an excellent one. Let's not wait a year either!
            Sunny

Comment

Lost sight of my list for the past few weeks getting ready for Christmas but will get back in the saddle on Monday. Hubby bought an Xbox Kinect game for Christmas and boy does that make one sweat. And while doing it you CANNOT drink because it takes away your strength and endurance so hopefully lots of sober, playful evenings in the future.
              Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Have fun!
                I will soon be signing off of MWO as it is almost a year AF for me. I have enjoyed these boards but believe it is time to "move on out" having found my way out. I may check in from time to time tho!. I wish everyone well.
                Sunny

Comment

I like this idea, even if the focus in primarily 'DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL' FOR A MONTH OR 2 OR 3.... could add little things that support that goal weekly. For me, the supplements would be included with that primary goal week 1; then a daily short walk, positive reinforcements/meditations....I'll have to make a list too! Thanks :thanks:

Tipplerette;997403 wrote: Week 4
                  52 Weeks of Change

Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
                  Jug Water X ? ? X

Exercise 5 min X x x x
                  Take your supps X X X X x
                  Eat two fruits X X X X X

That didn't work very well, this cut and paste. The lines are missing and everything is jumbled but you might get the idea. Just create a table in your word document and every week add a line.
                  From the Sanskrit prayer;

"....For yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision,
                  But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a dream of hope."

:catroll:
                  determined to be AF

Comment

I am joining you on the Do Not Drink Alcohol for the Month of January. ODAT !! If and WHEN I achieve this goal, the world is my oyster.. I can take on anything if I can beat this demon. I will continue to post on my 52 week plan starting Monday.
                    Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Funny how I was just sitting here this morning thinking that I have all these 'things' I wish to accomplish in my life, yet every time I try, I fail, simply because I attempt to do all of them at the same time. And then I stumble across this. Amazing...

I love this list! I am going to incorporate it into my life starting today. Thank you, Tipper, for sharing this. It's exactly what I needed.
                      :teeter:

Comment

You are very welcome Gypsi, I have to get at it too. I let it slide over Christmas and today I will update the list. You may want to add or subtract a few things as these may not apply to you. Each list is individual. Let's report daily. I'll take a look and see where I am. Have any of you ever tried bouncing on a rebounder for exercise. It's a mini-trampoline that is one of the best forms of exercise available as it cleans out your lymphatic systema as well as give you a darn good work-out. Will post soon.
                        Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Week One Goal

I decided that my first goal would be to get back to journaling. I used to write in my journal every day, but somehow it fell away from me, or maybe I fell away from it. No matter; back on track with that now. Just 15 minutes a day writing in my journal. Simple~
                          :teeter:

Comment

Working...
                          X