Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW MUCH WEIGHT HAVE YOU LOST SINCE YOU QUIT/CUT DOWN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm the same weight as I was 3 years ago, when I joined here. I wasn't a daily heavy drinker, but over-did it too many weekends. It had become a habit every Sunday afternoon. Now I have a couple glasses of wine 1-2 times per week.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I've lost 25 pounds in 5 months and 15 days AF. But I exercise around 4 to 5 days a week. My whole journey started because I was upset about my weight and decided to get a trainer. I had to cancel an appointment with her because of a hangover. That was my last hangover. I found MWO that day. At the time I didn't really know I had a drinking problem I had gained 30 pounds in a very short time 18 months. Now I'm kinda glad I gained the weight, I might not have addressed my drinking problem until later... and I had to quit smoking to keep up with the trainer.

Comment

Still no weight loss (26th day AF), so I decided to try an Atkins-like diet, beginning today. I don't do it by the book, since less than 20 gram of carbs a day makes me cranky and I shrivel up from the diuretic effect --even if I drink water all day. The Atkins approach does burn off the fat, though, no doubt about that.

Gotta avoid developing a kidney stone. A low carb diet is maybe what caused this when I ate that way several years ago, and it was nasty-painful. I heard lemon juice can help prevent those. Anyone have any experience with that?

Jib
        Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

I have been abstinent for about 13 months now. I initially gained a few pounds (I was already quite overweight). But for the past 8 month I have been on a conscientious diet and exercise program. I have lost over 56 pounds. I eat about 1400 calories/day and go to the gym daily.
          I understand that alcohol lowers our metabolic rate and adds empty calories (many days those were my only calories). I was drinking about 1 liter of vodka a day or more at the end and I am an older (58year) smallish (now) woman.
          5 pound to go to get to my goal of 135 pounds.
          I never was able to stay on a diet before. Now I can. I think I am building on the success of the abstinence. I still take just a bit of baclofen at night. I think it saved my life
          Sunny

Comment

Ok.

This is probably a good one for me to chime in on.

At my heaviest I was 130kg. Times that by 2.24 for pounds if you are so inclined.

Now I was a big fat hefty beast. I am somewhere between 6'4 and 6'5 though so I mean the fat was spread but I had rolls a plenty.

I quit drinking, started eating REASONABLE portions and stopped the drinking pig out sessions I used to have, quitting drinking alone tore the weight off. That saw me hit 110kg pretty quick. Then I decided to jump on the DUKAN diet and it worked wonders - I totally recommend that diet to anyone if you follow it to the letter, it rocks and it rewires your body I swear. With that diet comes 30mins a day of exercise and I walked. Now I do pushups, chinups, what have you and walk lots. I am into exersize.

I now weigh 91 kg. So that means I lost 39 kg. 87.36 pounds for all you pound people.

I don't really wan't to get any skinnier but being a 31 year old guy more muscle is always good.

So yes, if you quit drinking watch the weight fall off. Especially the face! I used to look like a blowfish!!
            "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

Comment

I've been here since Aug '08. Over this time, I've tried out a lot of things, to find My Way Out. I'm very happy right now with who and where I am, and have been the last nearly 2 years. When I came, I'd recently had a serious (drinking) accident, and was immobilized 6+ months. Before that, I was losing weight, but gained a lot back while I couldn't walk.
              I'm happy to say, even tho I can't be as active as I'd like, I'm back down to my lowest weight in a decade. Experiencing the results of not drinking, mentally and emotionally, is the main thing. But as a woman, losing the weight is a gigantic plus. It's a big lift, even if I don't want to admit it, when people are surprised, don't believe my age. It's not just a vanity thing; who we are should shine out, through our smiles and our bodies. I LIKE being able to play chase, climb trees, ride horses, with my grandchildren. Taking care of our weight is the same as taking care of all our health needs.

PS: I've lost 45 pounds. I'd like to lose another 20, even though my docs argue my numbers with me!! :H
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I have lost 63 pounds since mid June. Diet plus exercise and no alcohol. It works.
                S

Comment

I'm desparate to take 10 pounds off. Wine is full of sugar and yeast. It's a horrible, nasty carb - ugh.

Good to hear some positive results. Good work everyone!!

Comment

alcohol also decreases the metabolic rate. Many people naturally lose weight if they stop drinking and eat more whole food. they also have enough energy to exercise.
                    S

Comment

why are you "desperate"?

Comment

What seems to be working for me is keeping a "Moderation Journal" not as a way to self-criticize but to just document my eating, drinking and exercise routine. Writing down what I eat, approximately how much, how much I drink per day (with a goal of two 4 oz glasses of red wine max) and what I do for exercise and of course, how I am feeling about it really keeps me focused. The big surprise for me is the way it's cut my alcohol intake; first time anything has worked.
                        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                        ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Okay, poor Tip is looking for inspiration!! :H:H

Tipp, I've only made it 27 days AF so far, but what I've noticed is that even though I ate anything I lost about 5 lbs and know if I just tried a LITTLE I could probably lose 10. Right now, I'm just trying to stay AF and making that my main focus.

Comment

Sorry -- I posted this after the pictures a few pages back -- not realizing there were later posts!

Comment

Tip there is a free online food journal at myplate.com I love it and have lost 8 lbs with it. it tracks weight food and exercise!
                              You always succeed if you never stop trying.
                              Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoX7MtZtNjV8ApvCjzbkF/SIG=126tudupa/EXP=1302079052/**http%3a//skazat.com/images/sketches/skeleton_arm.jpg[/img] I actually about 10 lbs., mostly on my drinking arm ! ha!
                                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X