Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 days, no wine, no junk, lots of exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just back from my 4 mile run- didn't get to 5 as I wasn't really in my stride today. Some days are better than others- but that is the same with everything. Also my neighbours dog tagged along & was very annoying running too close to me. But am going to have an active day as well- some housework & will take the kids to the beach later & have a good walk on the beach.
    Tips - I am not anyone's ideal weight- not sure where you got that idea. I am average height- just under 5 ' 4 but have put on loads of weight lately- over the last year or so. After the recent miscarriage I weighed in at 170 pounds- since I stopped drinking last week I am 166. My goal is 137- last time I was that weight I felt fit & fabulous. I was doing karate then, I may go back to it when I get the weight down a bit. I have never lost weight running- but this time I am being far more careful with my diet. I have a long way to go but am doing well so far. Day 5 & feeling great.
    All of your stories are so funny- what a great bunch of women.
    Must go & clean some windows, so great not to have a hangover this Monday.
    SJ xx
    SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

OOoops, got you mixed up with someone else. Sarah Jane. Someone on here and I'm too lazy to go through to figure out who said they were 5'2" and 120 lbs. 120 lbs is my ideal weight. I am 130 lbs. Sorry for the confusion.

Liking this AF life so much I might just make it a permanent lifestyle change. We'll see. The trade off is so worth it. Giving up the buzz of alcohol for the hours of extra energy and alertness. My daughter has gone back to school and calls me at all hours to help her with her assignments which are human relations type essays which I am good at. When I drank, I couldn't follow the conversation and had her repeat herself so many times, she would just about give up. When she called a few days ago I felt like a friggin' genius helping her rephrase her answers to read more coherently, etc. Felt GREAT to actually be there in the conversation not dying to get off the phone and having to concentrate so hard just to follow along.

I asked hubby what he would think if I totally stopped drinking permanently and he said it would be fine and that he, too, would cut down drastically. Drinking has always played into our romantic evenings big time so I was relieved and pleased to get his reaction. We still sit around, glass in hand and enjoy each other's company in the evenings... that is until I jump up and say "Going for a kayak ride" and off I trot down to the river leaving him feeling a little buzzed and left out. Oh well, that's his problem. LOL...
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Folks, I am happy to join you. I have been AF since May 29th. I was away for conferences with my husband and decided a few days into the 2 week trip that I was sick of the racing heart and night sweats due to consuming alcohol. I have been trying to quit for years but only seem to manage a few weeks or months at a time.
        I am very proud of myself as the wine was flowing like water and they kept delivering wine to your room. I didn't touch a drop for 7 days of the conference. During the conference I was out for walks and runs that offered wonderful scenery and critter encounters.
        I am home now and beginning once again to manage the stresses of daily life AF. I know that regular exercise and a healthy diet are important to maintain good mental health so I am happy to commit to this along with you.
        I begin training for another Half Marathon starting this week and plan to begin hiking again. I generally do three half marathons and a few 10km races a year. My run times have been getting longer due to AL and it has been affecting my desire and ability to exercise. This thread was just what I needed to get my butt in gear. I could stand to shed a few pounds and tone up as well.
        Thanks to you all and good luck. Enjoy the benefits of increased fitness and good health. I look forward to reading your posts.
        Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Mornin Ya'll!
          I'm kinda sore today. Feels good! I worked out in the weight room yesterday & did a bunch of new stuff on my friend's Total Gym. It's a really versatle piece of equipment. Found some new straps for the feet & legs to do leg exercises I hadn't tried on it. I think the lifts I do in the tub mostly get my abs.
          Hoping to get out on the river for a paddle today. I have till 4 before my alcohol class in town. It's court mandated from mu DUI (New yrs Eve...Damn it! At least I didn't get in an accident)
          Suprisingly, I've been enjoying the classes. It's an all women's group, & my counselor is a nice lady. She kayaks too!

I've been feeling guilty for spending so much time posting, when the weather's getting better (I don't mind, when it's raining...)
          I"ve got my Pilates Magic circle next to the puter (well actually between my knees right now!) And I'm sitting on my exercise ball @ the puter. Burn baby burn! ha ha:H

Need to get back outside & get some more plants in the dirt.
          Got a bunch in yesterday. Grape tomatos, basil, cilantro, strawberries, spinach, jalepenos...They look real happy out on thedeck!
          Hope everybody's havin a great Monday!
          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

In a goofy mood today, (as usual...)

I posted yesterday that I'm gonna start cookin naked, as soon as all thse plants & herbs on the deck, just off the kitchen are ready...

Somebody suggested I write a cookbook... (Like I need encouragement...
            "Don't get her started!")

Here's part of what I came up with this AM on my post... just off the top of my head...(scarey!)

LOL, yep Blondee it'll be a cook book based on sweet, hot, & spicey dishes! (some that might "bite back", but so fresh ya gotta slap em...)
            No tan lines required or desired!
            Put that in your pipe & smoke it! (or BBQ, whatever blows yer skirt up...)

There I go crackin myself up again... There's something to be said for being easily amused tho.:H

Oh hey! I could do a chapter on self support kayak campfire cooking!
            Oh oh, got me thinking,... a chapter on dutch oven delites would be in order too (done a lot of that in the Grand & on the Green River years ago) A lot of people don't realize it but the Green is actually the "Mother River", the Colorado is a tributary to it...

I could call it, "BUTT NAKED COOKIN' & OTHER DELISHES TAILS!" LOL
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Hi all, I'm still here with you. Working through day 21 AF. I've managed to workout 5 out of 6 days. I'm not having any issues with the AL but I've been eating far too much sugar. Going to start cutting back on the sweets. The l-glut helps but I keep forgetting to take it.
              Glad to see evryone's still here and doing so well.
              Jude- LOL. Love your cookbook titles.
              AF since 06/27/2011

Of all vices, drinking in the most imcompatible with greatness. Sir Walter Scott

Comment

St. Jude, you crack me up. You should really go ahead with your cookbook. Your sense of humour combined with your eccentric antics would make for a best seller. Good on you for 21 days AF. Can't wait to reach that milestone myself.

Tips
                Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

welcome running for life, i just love your profile pic, is that your own dog?? Classic! So impressed with your running, i used to do 10k.s regularly but lucky to do ten minutes at the moment but at least i am out there every day!
                  Well gang i have had a blooming marvelous Monday, i felt super today and really enjoyed my yoga, i can also feel it St J but i like the feeling, i know i have worked my body. Did my run/walk again this morning and Barb had 26 WW points, its my 2nd weigh in on Wednesday so will let you know, i just feel more toned though which makes me feel better already and its only week 1! Question why when we know being in control of what we eat and drink and doing our exercise every day makes us feel so wonderful do we sabotage it and pour wine down our throats, crazy crazy, when i am in the zone i cant believe i could sit there night after night cradling the vino, what is it all about!!! Never want to go back there, but so important to read or post here every day to keep us focused!

Ready for sleep now, a deep natural sleep that will refresh and rejuvenate my body! Day 7 tomorrow peeps, yay! And Tips we will get to day 21 like St J and others I just know it! xx Would also love to hear from those who have said hello on here but haven't heard from you since, pretty please be nice to know your Ok x Also exercise plans for tomorrow??? Mine is walk/run first thing/work/home/bike ride, going to go for ten miles tomorrow night, my butt has def got used to the saddle now!
                  Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

This is where you all are. I get lost in this forum! Well of I go with all my new running out fit on. Day 12 AL free for me today. xxx You guys are all probably sound asleep over there sweet dreams! xxx

My new running shoes are hot pink yikes!!!

Comment

Hello to all, just a quick check-in. Bluesdancer right there with you - 21 days today! This past week was def a tough one. Keepwalking, I live in beautiful Northern Ireland!
                      Glad to see everyone doing so well. Done 10kms on my exercise bike today - trying to build up the muscle for a good long road cycle. Done a 111 mile cycle last June and broke both bones in my lower leg in July. Have only been out once since then. You lot are a great inspiration, got me on the bike today. :thanks:
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Mia, well done on day 12! I always find the new gear helps. I would be wearing 'bright and wacky' if I could but my teenagers won't let me...........
                        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Unfortunately I had to read all day for a meeting tonight so could not get any exercise in however I could use a day of rest. Interviewing job candidates tomorrow but plan to get out first thing in the morning for a run. May get out for a bike ride or walk in the afternoon.
                          Keep up the good work guys.
                          Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Sorry Keepwalking, it is not my dog but love the photo. Looks like me after a long run. I have two dogs.
                            One is a big beautiful 14 yr old mutt and the other is a chubby yorkie. Love them both to bits.
                            I used to run with the big one but she can't handle it now. I miss running with her.
                            The little guy has a sore leg right now so I am missing walks with them.
                            Will post tomorrow, it is almost meeting time. I will have to sit for at least 4 to 6 hours tonight.
                            Not good for weight loss.
                            Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Hi Girls...may I join you on this fitness thread? I have been AF for 5 days now...soon to be 6! What are you guys doing for any special diets? I am considering going vegan and raw. I have been eating lots of cheese but very little red meat, but some chicken and fish and there is a little voice inside me saying I should give up animal products all together. I work at a health food store and raw, vegan diets are all the rage now. Basically, you eat raw fruits, veggies and nuts. Nothing baked or cooked. It's pretty restrictive but I thought summer would be the best time to give this sort of diet a go. I'm not trying to loose weight, just eat healthier...which I'm finding is easier to do now that I am sober. On the exercise side, I walk to and from work (fast, because I am usually late...ha!), and then I walk my doggie for about a half hour either in the morning or night or sometimes both if it is a good day. I do sit ups everyday and am finding that they are actually making a difference now that my belly isn't bloated from all that wine! I do some sort of leg exercise and arm exercise and rotate which ones every day so I am working different muscles. I feel I could add something more aerobic to the mix and I'll keep you posted if I do. There's something so stress relieving when you actually build up a sweat.

How did you runners start out? I always am so sore the next day after even trying to run a small amount...and I consider myself in pretty good shape!
                              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                              :h

Comment

Just checking in at the end of a fantastic Monday. Kids came over tonight with their friends to watch the Canucks in the finals and my daughter and I who have an often-times strained relationship laughed our heads off at some hilarious u-tube videos. She and I were howling and I was dead sober. She probably avoided my boozy breath in the past... what an eyeopener. I LOVE NOT DRINKING !!! The time must have been right because it's so easy. Nightynight and happy running, walking, paddling and celebrating life. Love you all.. you guys were so instrumental in my reaching one week tomorrow. Hugs and Kisses.

Tips
                                Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                                X