Muscle damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle damage

Mary Ann, I was always told muscle has memory. I weight train, and I'm getting back to where I was a long time ago. Been AF for about a month, and lifting pretty heavy. Everybody I know has commented on how much muscle I put on. I do a pretty rigorous routine. I also take lots of suppliments, eat a TON of protein (if you read into it, you won't believe the suggested amount of protein body builders recommend, much higher that the DV% listed on food products), and creatine. When I was younger, I was always jealous of freinds that would bulk up so much quicker than I. I would later come to understand that it is not just the workout, but just as much diet. Again, if you're looking for muscle, remember protein. Fish, chicken, turkey, egg whites, and soy are some great sources. Whey protein, which you can get at a healthfood store is a great suppliment. Whey protein has more protein per serving than anything else. Good luck on getting ripped up for the summer time!
    where does this go?

Comment

Muscle damage

Good to be back in touch w/ everyone!

Hey there, Morrison, a person I can relate to.........I am probably not eating enough protein, but also have lessened my intake lately because someone suggested high protein may contribute to joint pain, it is inflammatory (?!?!) Was reading anti-inflammatory information, but never found anything about it...

I use whey protein after I pump iron, and until recently was eating LOTS of protein.....I will get back to that as cutting it down has not reduced my knee pain AT ALL!!! I just deal with it, could hike in Utah (with some pain after 6 miles or so), so don't think I am all that old an crippled yet:H

Happy trails!!

MA

Comment

Muscle damage

I used to be very fit but years of drinking have wrecked me.
        I tried to go running recently but had to walk and I was been passed by everyone.

Comment

Muscle damage

Trevor

I bet you can slowly get back into shape, maybe start walking first...personally, I cannot run if I tried!! My knee would hurt sooooooo bad, I am sure I would be a joke:H

MA:h

Comment

Muscle damage

Hello Trevor and Mary Ann

Trevor, one of the beauties of the human body is its resiliency. Just take baby steps, and you can get back into shape.

Mary Ann. I've never heard anything about protein being a problem on joints. Never. The only downside I've heard, is that it could be rough on kidneys and liver. But, I've read it is only rough on kidneys and liver when you consume too much to process. In other words, you can consume over 300 grams in a day, over the whole course of the day. But if you scoffed down 300 in an hour, that wouldn't be good. But scoffing down that much of anything in a short period of time should just fall under the old "common sense rule." I don't think anybody would need to be told eating that much in one sitting is bad. :H
            where does this go?

Comment

Muscle damage

cool! Won't catch me eating too much in one sitting!

Everyone have a "fit"day!! I am off, protein snacks in my bag, gym after work!! Talk to you later!!

Mary Anne:h

Comment

Muscle damage

After growing up the "fat" kid and abusing alcohol for close to 8 years I decided to hit the gym and hire a personal trainer. I bought a package of sessions to last a month to teach me proper form and intensity levels. We did session 5 of 8 today and it is amazing how fast you build muscle when executing the exercise correctly. At the end of our time together I will have a routine that I can work with and grow into for the next couple of months. From time to time I plan on meeting with the trainer to tweak the routine. Trainers can be expensive, but if you pay attention and learn while they work with you they can be a valuable resource.

My self esteem is much better than its been in years.

-Lorelei
                Suddenly I see
                This is what I want to be
                suddenly I see
                Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

Muscle damage

Lorelei, that is fantastic and such a good example you are setting. if everyone exercised like we should our entire lives would be enriched. As you pointed out self esteem is boosted, health, immune system, depression diminishes etc etc. I find it much easier to be AF and positive in general when I'm keeping to the workout schedule. Keep up the good habbits!
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Muscle damage

Hi Lorelei,
                    I agree with Determinator.
                    Well done. I'm pleased for you.

Comment

Muscle damage

I am new here, but I have been fully aware of the damage not only to my muscles and any other part of my body, not to mention what I look like after having a ?good? time on Saturday night. So why keep doing it to myself?! I suppose by running every morning (45min to 1h) and not drinking during the week I was simply justifying my binge weekends. Saying that I think I have managed to minimize the damage by exercising a lot and yet that is far from acceptable. Rediscovering my old self at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X