October Pinksters New and Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi ~ yesterday was 18 holes of golf, then a 3 mile walk. Had a busy day today, was kind of lazy also but did finally hop on bike late in afternoon, went about 5 miles.

Lifechange - 4 mi. of hills? Not as difficult as it sounds! I live in FL. Our hills are bridges. My Monday w/o is done mid day so I go to the Fitness Center. When I say 4 mi of hills I mean on the Treadmill (TM). I do ladders - crank incline up for every 2 min out of 5. It's tougher than just plain walking. I was doing same but with running instead of the hills. Just mixing it up.

FF - out of everything I did last week, I got the most sore from the yoga. You too? Did like the Sat. class; this Sat. I may try a kickboxing class just before it. Reminds me, I need to sign up for it. They have a great system. You sign up, then when you arrive you check off your name. If your name isn't checked off, you get charged for the class.

FF - wow! Those 6a walks sound lovely! You get that in and then have your whole day!
    The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Sorry guys, I started this thread and then dissapeared. I have been offline for a few days because of a complicated situation involving living in the middle of nowhere.

I walked yesterday for half hour and today went on the rebounder for twenty minutes this morning. I received a journal for my birthday and have been journalling. I think it will keep me on track in my alcohol abstention and my exercise.

You guys really spend lots of time exercising and will see results quickly. I, on the other hand, will just continue plodding along doing my little bit but in my case consistency is the ultimate goal; incorporating movement on a daily basis.

Keep on mes amis.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Tipps, good to see you

TMH - we're complete opposites on the yoga front. I can start feeling achy but always come out feeling great with post yoga glow and never sore! Hmmm, go figure and you seem to be doing a lot more other exercise than me.

Happy exercising all
        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Getting behind here. Sunday I played 18 holes of golf, today I did 3 miles of hills on TM, then just 10 min on ET. Ran out of time.

Hope everyone is doing well!

TMH

Comment

Had a little "off" week what with having company. They left this afternoon. I did a 3 mile walk, 5 mile bike ride, and about 12 min of old yoga tape I have. Stretches felt great!

TMH

Comment

That's a LOT of exercise TMH. How old are you again? I resolve to be you when I finally grow up. Do you walk the holes when you and dh play golf?

"I like people too much or not at all."
              Sylvia Plath

Comment

LB - really, it doesn't seem like a lot of exercise at all. Remember I used to train for marathons, ultramarathons. Wasn't worth putting on shoes for just 3 miles. Rarely ran less than 5, and lots of my life ran 40 miles/week and then would do 50 miles in one day. Marathons became training runs for ultras. That was way back when!!!! Point is it feels like I'm not doing nearly enough now. I'm 64. I always used to say I'll learn to play golf when I'm too old to run. Here I am.....

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to walk the holes. If we did it would easily be 5 miles of walking. The holes are too far apart and it would take us over the 4 hour time limit. I will many times walk to my ball and or walk from men's tee to ladies' being careful to stay out of the way of others. One of our friends walks a lot on course and people get upset as they're afraid they will hit her. I do notice, however, that when we play together I get many more steps in so she is a good influence. Now, she doesn't do all the other exercise I do, but she's very slim and is highly energetic, i.e. thinks at 10:30p the night is young. Say what?

So far today I've taken a refresher tutorial on what we used to call nautilus equipment at the Fitness Center (Cybex), then I did 30 min on elliptical trainer. Am only at 7K steps, half of where I want to be. I will more than likely go for a walk and a bike ride yet. I'm retired - easier for me.

TMH

Comment

I am a yoga virgin, but would like to get into it, can anyone recommend a good starter video?
                  And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

V, I do Yoga once in awhile, I should do more of it. Between the marathon training, hockey, squash, skiing, etc., I'm always very tight. I'd strongly reccommened trying to find a class some where near you. You should be able to find some that are not ridicilous in pricing (you can find those too).

After this marathon, I think I will try and get it back more into the routine of it...if I have time maybe I will try a class this week, I really need to stretch before the race.

TMH, don't be so modest, hills/bridges are rough, you're a champion! ;-)

j

Comment

Thanks Stew, I found a beginner class on Saturday morning at one of my gym's locations... Not sure how gyms in NYC are but mine is $16 month and they have like 6 locations ALL HUGE and very clean with, indoor running tracks all the latest equipment, pools, steam rooms, sauna's and all the amenities you could want, and all the classes at any location are always free.....
                      And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

Didn't get much exercise in yesterday or today due to lack of sleep after going AF. Played 18 holes of golf yest; 9 today. Was sore from FC workout on Monday, and it was itsy bitsy. Tomorrow I play 18 again, then signed up for the Cardio, Strength & Stretch class. Plan to get there early and go through my weight training circuit I've just started. Golf tomorrow includes brkfst and lunch so no need to eat tomorrow night. Or, if hungry, a popcorn dinner.

Stew - am I modest? Not sure but thanks. I'm often told there are a lot of 20 yo or 30 yo women who wish they had my body. Guess that's not very modest to say ;.)

TMH

Comment

V, that's great, a cheap class in NYC is about $20, $25 dollars. I think it's definitely good to have an instructor, you can really hurt yourself if you do the poses wrong, and my body is so stiff..well...

TMH, you sound like my gfs mother, and that is a compliment. She's turning 70 and is very lean and in shape. She was very active when she was younger, actually still is, sees a trainer a lot, etc. Age is all in the mind.... :-)

Best,

j

Comment

Canceled out of class yesterday and walked 2.5 miles on TM after playing 18 holes of golf. Today I did go to FC and ran/walked 3 miles, 15 min on Elliptical Trainer and did my wt circuit. Just one set. If I don't get sore, then I'll up the reps. Enjoying it.

Hey, Stew, thought of you and what you said when I drove into FC parking lot. I was pulling into tight parking spot and just nicked the bumper of an old van. 2 ladies were standing there. I got out of car & told them just to let you know I am responsible and am leaving a note. One lady said, you didn't do a thing, you bounced right off, no damage at all, we were just waiting for an old lady to get out of the car and what do we see but a young babe. Gotta like that! Anyway, thanks for compliment.

TMH

Comment

TMH, very awesome!!! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X