Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to basics

Happy Easter!!

Yeah, Morrison, we are neck and neck!! I am finding it easier w/ time, and focusing on fitness/other things to make my life more positive! Happy climbing when you get started! It was beautiful/challenging to be out there in the desert mountains enjoying the beauty you have there!! Here is pretty flat, some rolling hills, we hardly do any hiking, let the horses do all the work I guess (not too much exercise for the rider?)

I am BORED out of my mind this AM, as the gym is closed and it is a bit chilly yet to go riding! I cannot really run because of my knee, ususally do the eliptical machine at the gym to avoid the impact.

Happy easter to all that follow!!

Mary Anne:h :l

Comment

Back to basics

How on earth do you get motivated??
      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Back to basics

the feel good feeling!?

I think it is the endorphins that keep me at it.....ask just about anyone, once I get motivated and off my A** to do it(work out), I thank myself when it is all through and I feel better.

ALSO, I like being thin, was chunky while drinking, and feel sooooo much better thin, so I want to stay that way!!:h

MA:h :l

Comment

Back to basics

I used to go over to Moab quite often when I lived in Colorado, it's only about a 2 hr drive from Telluride... and a whole diff climate. In the springtime we used to ski in Colorado in the morning & head down to Moab to the desert for kayaking & hanging out on the Colorado River beaches. It's so beautiful in the spring especially. The hiking & Mt biking is great too.

Speaking of chunky... I just finished easter brunch with Grandma ... feelin pretty chunky right now! Trying to get thin for Florida next week... Oh well. It doesn't seem to be working. I'll just wear a mumu the whole time! Tie it around my waist on the kayak!

Mary Ann, you sound great! Hopefully we can meet up in Florida next week! I've still got your #.
          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Back to basics

JUDIE!!!!

Where will you be in FL??? I will make a drive to meet you somewhere!! I may just hold on to the package and hand deliver to you (re: PM) Yeah, isn't Moab beautiful?? How lucky you are (those of you out west)to have the best of both worlds!! It is either hot and humid or cool and dry here,but I do love it still:rays:

MA

Comment

Back to basics

tea;119154 wrote: How on earth do you get motivated??
              Last year I was going walking/running with my friend but he's working evenings now.

It's much easier to train with someone and I also find I'm less likely to make up an excuse and not go.

I just wish there was someone I could go for walks with!!!!

Comment

Back to basics

Thats what I do. I am quite fond of exercise...but even those of us who love it can find excuses not to do it!! The best way to get motivated is to make an appointment to meet someone...then you have to cancel with that person to be able to get out of the workout...if you can't find someone who will work out with you on a regular basis out of your circle of friends go to your local runners/walkers store (fleetfeet is a good one if you have that store) they will have contact numbers of groups of people looking for partners or add ins. You can always place a personal ad...if you think I am kidding I am not, some people have wierd schedules, and the only way to sind someone to work out with them with the same schedule is an ad...I am lucky, I have a friend to work out with, but if you dont I highly suggest you get one, there us no better motivation than watching someone else have to do that workout too!!!
                It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Back to basics

What an interesting thread this has turned out to be!
                  Heaps of information.
                  Barb, your WW info was very good. I rang Ww last year and they STILL haven't put together a vegetarian plan. And that's the only reason I haven't joined them. I do eat meat, but only once a week or fortnight. I know that only about 10% of the population is vegetarian, but it is something perhaps WW coulkd start lookingat. Meantime I get the Sanitarium newsletter which has veg. meals in it. Have dropped 6 kilos in 6 weeks. (Then went on holiday and put a kilko back on).

AA, I'm definitely a slow twitch person. But having taken a very bad fall on my last (thankfully) day skiing and given myself mild concussion and nasty whiplash, I haven't touched any weights for 10 days. Having some intensive physio, and will be up on my bike next week. And back to aerobics tomorrow.

Morrison, Does jumping rope exercise as many muscles and parts of your body as jogging would? Not that I intend to do it, but an interesting question. I just thought that boxers jumped rope to learn fine foot movement, co-ordination and balance (as well as a bit of exercise).

Comment

Back to basics

Here you go Rags

Rags, these are just a couple paragraphs I ripped off from health site:

Many athletes use it to develop power in their joints and muscles. Boxers are known to favor rope jumping, which helps them train for proper balance and coordination. In fact, whatever type of fitness program you may have, you can probably get better results by adding rope jumping to your training, though it is not for people who cannot stand high impact exercises.

And,

It is an effective type of fat burning exercise. About 10 minutes of jumping rope will burn off as many calories as 30 minutes spent running.

I like the second part. Basically, if you do enough revolutions with the rope, you can get the same results in one/third the time of running. So, if you are like me, and like to get the workout done quick, I'll take jumping rope over running. :jumpin:
                    where does this go?

Comment

Back to basics

Thanks Morrison,
                      Having said I wasn't going to do it, I may just go grab a piece of old climbing rope and cut off a couple of metres !
                      10 mins = 30 mins appeals to me.

Comment

Back to basics

You'll need some breaks

Rags, you'll know what I mean when you start. I didn't jump rope in the longest time. I got a speed rope the other day at the store, and could only do a couple minutes. I'd like to work up to 10 straight, but it isn't going to be easy. You'll see what I mean. At first, you'll probably have to do a little until you get tired, then go back and do some more. 10 min straight is tough. Please post back to let me know. Good luck.
                        where does this go?

Comment

Back to basics

Hi Morrison,
                          Thanks for the warning.
                          I don't expect to get too far as I'm not fit. I'll just work at it little by little. I'll probably do 20 seconds, pause 30 seconds, then 20 seconds more and work it that way. If I get to 2mins total skipping in the first few days I'll be happy. Then gradually build up. Yep, I'll let you know how progress is going. I have a possible heart problem so can't push it too hard. Have to keep my pulse about 120 - 125. 130 is getting too high for me, but I get there quite fast as I am unfit and overweight. Hey, you've inspired me. I think I'll make up a spreadsheet to monitor myself. Morrison, between you and AA I may actually get fit!!!

Thanks,
                          Fran.

Comment

Back to basics

Go Fran!!

I think you will do great, I think between you and I we would be ok jumping rope (??) I, with my knee, you w/ your heart! I wish you the best as you get started, keep this this thread posted as to your progress!

I have been "jogging" on the eliptical, that burns alot of calories and gets my hr up pretty high.....no impact for my knee, so I enjoy that............

Happy fitness to you all!:l

MA

Comment

Back to basics

Well, I just went for a slow trot around the block with the dog and after reading this thread am doing a search for a local 10km race for motivation.

Doo
                              :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Back to basics

Morrison, is a 'speed rope' a brand? Did you buy it from a sports store? This is sounding good!
                                :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Working...
                                X