Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satori's back!

Gday Satori,

welcome back mate, just bought myself a new mountain bike, my brother is starting to train me in kempo as he is now qualified to teach, getting back into the weights, moving house in four weeks, trying to keep three little kids under control, looking after two cattle dogs, keeping the wife happy, flat out at work as my business is expanding and staying relatively grog free! My mind is much clearer now and it is easier to stay focused. looking forward to your advice again. check out Powderfingers new album for some new tunes.

cya mate
    Maxman
    "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Satori's back!

Hey Maxie - where ya been?

I've been back from skiing vacation a while now - been on another backpacking trip into islands of Scotland's west coast, away on business and (I'm afraid ) been really busy and was neglecting MWO and was drinking a little again!
      Nothing drastic - but a few alarm bells were starting to go off!

Realised I had to come on here more often to keep myself on track So - here I am back in the groove again now -
      I have not checked out Powderfinger yet - but I will do soon

Hey - just realised we both have Jimi lyrics as sigs!!! Cool!

Take care

Satori
      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Satori's back!

Been flat out at work, got myself a massive contract working on a big development down here and have had to put on 3 more blokes just to keep up! I have also been getting ready for an exhibition that I am having at the end of August still need to find more time for some extra pieces.

lots of stuff going through my head (struggled to get onto computer unless it was for paperwork!) BUT A LOT LESS DEVIL DRINK IN MOUTH! so it is good to be back also

what martial art/ arts do you study or is it just an interest?

looks as if the drought down here has broken it hasnt stopped raining for days

maxman
        "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Satori's back!

Hiya Max,

In the past I have studied Shotokan Karate and Wado Ryu Karate - now I am studying Tai Chi Chuan

It was kind of a progression for me - Shotokan (at least the way I was being taught it) was too "direct contact" for me.
          To explain, The shotokan school I went to prided itself on being "tough" - most of the guys there were short, heavy built and very strong. Blocking was done using brute strength / power.
          Now I am NOT built like that and used to come away from training sessions sporting various injuries that would not heal up in time for the next sessions etc - it was not my style at all.
          I then did some research into other less full contact versions of Karate and found Wado Ryu which was more suited to my build. Blocking was done intelligently by using much less power to deflect an incoming attack rather than stopping the attack using power.

I became interested in seeing how far one could take the minimum effort / maximum effect scenario, and decided to study tai Chi Chuan as it is an "internal" martial art.

I could ramble on for hours about how amazing TCC is as a martial art - but as you probably know, it really is all about deflection / redirection of incoming force WITHOUT using muscular effort.

The best example I can give would be in Shotokan - if I threw a punch at my teacher it would have been blasted aside by a powerful blow to my incoming arm before he couter attacked, in a second move.
          In Wado - my arm would have been partly deflected by a moderate blow as the defender also moved out of the path of my blow, before attacking as a second move.

In tai chi chuan I would feel the lightest of touches on my punching arm, the defender simply would not be where the punch ended up, the force of my own punch would have been redirected into empty space and cause me to become off balance, and the counter attack would often have been done simultaneously with the defence using the the same waist movement as the deflection.

Satori
          "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Working...
          X