Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi Pam,
    I am by no means a veteran but have been following the program since May1. I decided to try the program doing everything but the topomax. Did abs for most of May, had a few drinks at the end of may and am now back doing abs.I can not say how I would be doing if I were taking the topomax but must say I am fairly happy with my progress even without taking it. If, in the future, I feel I need it then I will be open to taking it.It was easier at the time just to start the program straight away without seeing my Dr.. Perhaps someone who is taking it can tell you more but sofar I have been ok without it.
    Good Luck
    Janet

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Thanks Janet, that's good to know. It sounds like you've had a great month. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you used to drink? I am going to get organized and go ahead without the topa. Thanks again for the input.

Pam

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi Pam,
        As my name implies I am (was) a wine drinker. I call myself a flying below the radar drunk.Like many others I started out having a glass or two at night then it got up to a bottle. Not every night but if you can drink a bottle of wine 4-5 times weekly something is wrong. I would love to moderate at some point but don't know if that will ever be possible. For now I must abstain. Not so much fun when my soul is crying out for some fermented grape product but I do feel better in the morning. Let me know how it goes for you.
        Janet

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

i'm nwq, roo

I just ordered the book and the CDs, priority mail! i'm reading these posts and feel so much of your pain...i have been a heavy drinker for way too long and it's affecting me too much. i don't have the energy i used to have and it's getting too hard to hide my alternative life. i lay on the couch at night after the kids and my husband have gone to bed and i just sob, with a wine glass in hand of course. i have to get control of this. i'm going to try it without the topa, too, and see if i can do it. though the weight loss aspect of that drug does sound appealing would love to hear from others who have had success without adding the precription...thanks...

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: i'm nwq, roo

Hi Missy,

I am taking the topa, but I wanted to say Welcome. The sobbing on the couch after the kids and husband had gone to bed with a wine glass in hand sounded all too familiar to me! It is just AWFUL, I know. I can tell you Missy it has been TEN weeks now since I have done that because that is how long I have been on this program.

I am glad to hear you have ordered the book and the cds. I hope you look into getting the supplements as well. Go to the homepage and click on "Important Program Updates". You will find all the info you need about the supps there. Many people do the program without meds, I however find the topa to be a great help.

Here's to to starting the program Missy, and no more crying alone, at night, on the couch!

Donna

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Help!!!!

Iam asked with for information concerning the blurred vision while taking topa. Could anybody please respond to me question. Started cold turkey last night, without sup. or topa, sleepless nights. What can I take to help with restlessness. Thanks for your support.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Help!!!!

Hi Moodus,

The blurred vision is a rare but serious side effect of the topa. There is a research part of this site that offers more information on the subject. Also, side effects are covered in the book thoroughly.

As far as restlesness, calms forte is quite helpful. You can find this at almost any pharmacy or health food store. Also you could try some chamomile or tension tamer tea.

Make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water to keep yourself hydrated and to help flush the toxins out of your system!

The supps for cravings are kudzu and l-glutamine. You should be able to get these at your nearest health food store.

If you go to the homepage and click on the link "Important Program Updates" you will find all the info you need on all the supps used in the program.

Hang in there! I know you feel like crud now! Are you by yourself? Are you ok otherwise?

Keep in touch! It does get better!

Donna

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

thanks

thanks, donna, for your reply earlier today. i feel a little better already just having found this site and all these amazing people. it gives me so much hope!!! i feel somewhat optimistic for the first time in a long time that maybe i can make this work.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: thanks

Believe Missy, if I can make this work in as bad of shape I was in when I got here, and that was pretty bad shape, I have a good feeling that you can make it work too, if your ready for a change!

Donna

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

> i'm nwq, roo

Hi Missy

The one thing you said that sticks out to me is that you have to take control. If you are serious I believe you can do it. I am on Day 11 of abs. I am not taking any meds apart from nytol to help me sleep . I have had two good nights sleep so far, and still feeling groggy in the morning, so that may be the nytol, so tonight I am going to try without it, but will take it if I wake up. I was on a bottle of gin a night twelve days ago. Although I am dog tired, mainly because I have had some bad nights, I feel much better during the day, no fogginess now, and it is nice when I go to see people in my job, that I know I cant smell of alcohol. I have been invited to a leaving do tomorrow night. Not sure whether I sam going to gobecause the booze flows at theses things but if I do go I am not going to drink alcohol. If you are determined you can do it. I enjoy getting up in the morning now because I know I am going to feel good

good luck with it

kirky

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

thanks

thanks, kirky and donna! i was hoping my cds and book would arrive today but no such luck. i got two day shipping so hopefully tomorrow so i can really dig in over the weekend...i did not drink at all tuesday. wednesday i went out for a business dinner and had 2 glasses of wine over like 4 hours, then just 1 1/2 glasses when i got home much later so for me, that is progress...i am cautiously optimistic that i'm going to embrace this. one of the things that hits me like a ton of bricks as i cruise through these boards is how many of us lead this double-life. i know my friends and family know that i like to sip wine at social functions and perhaps they might even think i drink a glass or two more than everyone else but they would never, ever imagine that i'm capable of plowing through an entire bottle several nights a week...it feels so unbelievable to actually admit that "publicly" for the first time...progress?? let's hope thanks and enjoy the rest of the day! here's to us...

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: thanks

Good for you Missy! I hope your cds and book arrive soon! It does feel good to know you are not alone! Hang in there!

Donna

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

yet another newbie!!

Hi Everyone.
                            I'm from UK, read the book yesterday, just ordered the cd's and supps today, trying to find a gp in England that will give the topo, but it's finding impossible!! so I'll wait for the delivery of my things and start without it...
                            Found this site 10mins ago and it makes my heart smile to think that there are SO SO many of us who want to give up and are lucky enough to have found this site, so thankyou to all who have written, you are all inspirational!x

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: yet another newbie!!

Hi Maireuk from the UK ,

I too am from the UK. Have Doctors turned you down for the topa then? I didn't try mine - couldn't face it I guess. Just went ahead and ordered it overseas and going into my third week now. That's exactly how most of us feel about this site when we find it. We just can't believe it and you just sit there going, 'oh my god' over and over and smiling... and feeling so positive for the first time in yonks

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

yet another newbie!!

Hi marieuk

welcome. I am also from UK. Yes, it is amazing how many lovely people are on this site. You must have been looking generaly about this problem to have found it, so that is obviously a good thing, because you are facing up to it. It is also good that you have thrown yourself into it, by ordering the stuff. It is good that you are here. Keep in touch and let us know waht is happening.

kirky

Comment

Working...
                                X