X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm a Newbie

yet another newbie!!

Hi Everyone:
    My father died on May 10, 2006. Going to the funeral stirred up layers of pain that years of therapy had mostly put to rest. Several of my sibs behaved outrageously (without alcohol). Their rage and pain was awesome. He was an emotionally detached man, soft spoken and with a talent for cutting sarcasm that was world class. I went to the funeral out of curiosity--he and my mother have been demented for at least four years now--and before that were involved with each other in a paranoid dance that left the kids neglected but possibly better off. So what does this have to do with drinking? I drank heavily (for me) while I was there. Probably no surprise, but once again I had to face what I have known for years--I can't control it. I don't drink a lot, but it's the pattern. I read this over and over in the book and in your comments. The cravings, the trigger for drinking, the blessed relief of the first and second drink, but the humiliation in the morning, the wondering if anyone could tell, and of course the shame that I had let myself down again. After I got home, the drinking continued, and last night in desperation I sat down at the computer intending to contact AA online. Which I did. But I also found this site, and downloaded the book. I have read most of it. Could this be true? You all are saying that it is, so I am going to try it.

I tried Campral, a year and a half ago. It is wonderful. The cravings stopped within two days, and I didn't care if I ever drank again. The relief! Unfortunately, I developed one of the rarest side effects--hypothyroidism. After six weeks or so on the drug, I abruptly fell off a cliff into massive exhaustion, depression, a weight gain of 20 pounds without the food to match, and anxiety. My internist said my thyroid tests were normal, but I could find no other explanation. Like Roberta Jewell, I research everything a lot. Reading used to forestall the drinking! Finally, in January, I saw an endocrinologist who confirmed my research, and I'm back to normal. But I'm afraid to take Campral again--though since I am taking thyroid medication, it probably would be okay.

This idea of drinking in moderation, and of being able to stop! To really say, "No thanks," to a drink and mean it? Wow!

Sorry to carry on so, but it has been a tough month. This site has made my day, though, and I'm definitely going to try this program.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: yet another newbie!!

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to MWO! I am very sorry for your loss and for what sounds to be a very rough time! I have been on the program for 11 weeks now, and though I have not yet tried moderating there are many people here who have done so successfully and will give you advice about it. I just wanted to say welcome!

Donna

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: yet another newbie!!

Hello Ellen

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. I am no expert on moderation as I am only abstaining at the moment. I have been on the wagon now for 13 days, and a lot of that has been down to the inspiration I have received from the book and from the people on this site. I am awaiting the CDs to hypnotise myself to stop wanting a glass by my side. Everybody is different, so I do not know what your drinking habits are. Mine is just taht, a habit. At a certain time of dat a bell goes off in my head saying I must have a frink. I am now drinking alcohol free beer and ginger cordiall. The only initial problem I has was sleeping, that is why I used to drink, to get to sleep. The last two nights I have taken melatonin, which has knocked me for six. Keep reading these boards and you may find someone who is just like you who you can relate to. Good luck. You can do it, because you have tried before. This may be the lifeline you have been looking for

Kirky

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Welcome, Ellen...

Welcome, Ellen. I too am sorry for your loss and look forward to working this program together with you and the others I've received support from over the last few days. I'm on day 4. listened to the "clearing" cds for the first time last night and read the book yesterday. Have had 4 drinks total since Tuesday. progress for me. Am trying, like you, to pull myself out of a depression, which in my case has been largely fueled by alcohol. I have to tell you it felt so good to get up this AM, make my kids a beautiful breakfast and feel energetic at the table as we discussed our upcoming day, instead of guilty, wondering if i was going to MAKE IT through the day...

i do hope the CDs work for me so much. i didn't feel like i really got into it last night, can anyone tell me if it takes time to feel like you're "getting it?" i won't give up, i'm very determined this time and again so happy to have found this group...here's to us...

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

one step forward, two steps back

so i was feeling SO great yesterday morning, i wish i could bottle that feeling (no pun intended . even had a great, great day but, by evening, was reminded of a couple of incidents that "set me off" lately (very hurtful situation with a couple of friends...even as adults some times we can feel like we're in 7th grade again!) and, with my husband away, there really was no reason (so it seemed) not to drink. i listened to the hypnosis cd earlier in the day and felt confident i could stop at 2 but i didn't. i'm so ashamed, i drank more than i even usually do -- a whole bottle PLUS 2 glasses. i'm devastated and so mortified. clearly i still have so much work to do, i know that, and i'm really determined to get back on track. i'm really sad...and if it wasn't for this site, i'd feel TOTALLY alone...even though there are people all around me...i am praying for the courage and the strength to succeed on this program...for all of us.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: one step forward, two steps back

Hi Missy, I'll bet there's a lot of us here, that can relate to the "cat's away" atitude...:rolleyes :b I know I always did that... Untill I found this site and got on topa... I was so suprised at myself, the last time my Hubby was out of town... I spent most of my non-working time right here... on these boards, or in the chat room! Didn't even think of getting a bottle of somthing to make me stupid... like I used to always do!:eek :b Quite a change! Stick around, sometimes it just takes a while...

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

thanks

Hello everyone:
                Thanks, Missy, Kirkpl, and Aution(?) for your messages. I have just placed the order for the extreme pack and the CD's. I started Campral again, which works very well (and I'm hoping doesn't make my thyroid condition worse). My last bout, similar to yours, Missy, scared me--hence the Campral, until I get started on the program. I guess, Missy, I wouldn't bother feeling ashamed, except I always do, but it is rather pointless, I guess. I have reviewed the Topamax material and other stuff, and I am somewhat scared of the topa. My job requires that I remember at least most stuff and write reasonably well. I think that I am going to discuss with my doctor using naltrexone in place of the topa. If that doesn't help, I'll probably go on to try the topa.
                Thanks again. Ellen

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

addendum

I was thinking some more about Missy's post--her slip, remorse, etc. That led to my thinking about the situations in which I was vulnerable to drinking, period, and then drinking too much. Missy mentioned a painful reminder or experience with friends--certainly I have experienced that--it seems to me that there can be among some people an absolute refusal to admit, even in safe situations, to problems. Their response if you are foolish enough to admit to yours is judgment (especially with alcohol!), criticism or attack. I was thinking of the years in which most of the people I was surrounded by were like this. This has changed somewhat--I don't tolerate it if I recognize it (and that's a big if), but I do realize that for many years, alcohol was my best friend. It takes away pain (sort of), eases anxiety (while probably being depressing) and lonlieness, and generally made me feel okay. At least until the next morning.

Also, about the cat's away business--I recognize that too. However, when I actually talked about it with my husband he was okay with it--probably relieved. He certainly knew or guessed about some of it. So it's finally out there. I do think he doesn't still know the depth of pain I have felt about this over the years. That is still hard to talk about.

Stay well, Ellen

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

some excellent help

Hi, I don't post much but have the same problems and do MUCH research. Please read the following links. They have so much great information and background to help everyone.
                    www.lightconnectiononline...colums.htm

cynthia

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi P,

I just signed up today and already, I have received some great responses...I have a feeling I was brought to this site for a reason....the welcoming kind people....I feel will be a life boat...Look forward to chatting with you..

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

How do I know I need to be here?

I stumbled across this site from another message board and have been fascinated by the stories and struggles. I wonder if I need this? How do you really know?
                        My story is that I have no history of alcoholism nor does anyone in my family. I am an active church member and great mom and wife. I only drink wine (I like beer but hate the gas!) It started out with a little glass after the kids went to bed. Then after a couple of trips to Europe and daily wine with the evening meal we started doing that. It was that sophisticated, healthy dinner, some jazz, sharing the day with the family. The only reason I question my being here is that I get really annoyed if we have dinner with someone who doesn't have wine in their home or if we are out and someone wants dinner at IHOP or somewhere that doesn't serve wine. Then I question why does it matter so much. I get through the meal and often do not have wine at home later and am proud that I don't "need it".
                        One side note is that I don't drink soda (the gas again) and don't care much for iced tea and besides it keeps me awake if I drink it in the evening. Wine is perfect and of course does have some healthy benefits if I just had one glass each night. Some nights though 2 glasses turn into 4.
                        Feedback please. No matter what I don't want to abstain all together. I would like to look at alcohol like I do donuts. Love them but don't eat them often!
                        Thanks,
                        Newbie too

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

to scrapbooker2

Hi Scrapbooker2. I can only say that when I first read what's under "My Story," (follow the link on the site in the top navigation bar), I felt like I was reading my own words. I literally almost fell off the chair and at the same time, felt I'd finally arrived where I needed to be; my reaction was THAT powerful. I don't know how anyone else decided this was the right place for them to start but that's what it was for me...the constant seeking out that much-needed drink, thinking in advance how I would get it, getting annoyed as you say by people who didn't get it and all the while acting publicly like it didn't matter if the host opened another bottle of wine. So that's why I'm here. Officially 1 week tomorrow though struggling. Last two days have been great after a horrible Saturday evening (detailed above). I am trying hard to use the CDs...and even while I'm driving I'm repeating my suggestions to myself...and trying to remember how wonderful it feels to go through a day feeling clear, focused and healthy...my two cents. Off to my kids piano recital. They're playing their first duet together, which I feel like I'll really be able to enjoy I hope the next two days are stable for me and everyone else!

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: to scrapbooker2

Hi. I am just starting today. Horrible night last night. Drank 2 bottles of wine(the usual every night) and wrecked my car. Spent the night in jail and am probably getting a DUI. Don't remember anything. I have officially hit my bottom.

I know that i should start abs today, but I already am craving a glass of wine to take the edge off. How sick is that! Should I stop cold turkey? I don't know if I can do it. I need help. I am soooo scared. I don't feel in control. All kinds of thoughts flying through my brain. I want to do this.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

it can happen only if you try

Hi keeganshea
                              I've been coming to this board for a little while and dont post much, just read. But what people have to say can inspire you to think about what we are doing /have done to ourselves by overindulging.
                              I hope everything works out for you. We all have to start somewhere.
                              at the end of the day trying ,however fast or slow you progress is better than nothing. I struggle everyday and fight everyday, some weeks are better than others, but the better days are becoming more frequent after 10 years of madness and i'm only 32. Give it a go you have nothing to loose. Good luck.
                              liz

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: to scrapbooker2

Hi Keeganshea,

Welcocme to MWO! I hope you are all right, and that no one got hurt!! I am not so sure about cold turkey. I know for some there is a danger for serious withdrawal symptoms. I do not know if that if that will be a problem for you or not. Are you able to download the book. There is a section in the back that outlines the stages of alcoholism that may help you decide where exactly you fall.

There are alot of supplements involved with program that do help with withdrawal sypmtoms. You can go to the homepage. There you will find a link called "Important Program Updates". It outlines all the supplements used in the program.

I can tell you this program does really work. I just want to make sure that you are safe in the beginning! I know what it is like to be scared, I was there so I hear you! You have made a great first step by coming here! Get the book, start making a plan. There is plenty of support for you here! I hope this helps!!

Donna

Comment

Working...
                                X