Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm a Newbie

Try this for the cravings

I do this before I start drinking in the evenings...
    I used to start drinking my wine after 5pm and would end up drinking a whole (big) bottle. Now I take my Topa around 5 or 5:30 pm and empty a capsule of L-Glutamine underneath my tongue also. I don't start drinking until about an hour or so later. I have been on the program for 2 weeks now, am up to 50 mg of Topa, take all of the supps and since I've started, only have up to two glasses of wine, or 1 glass of bourbon (lots of ice) or maybe just 1 glass of wine, every night so far. Hope this helps...

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

hi

hello

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: hi

HI there.....welcome!!!! How are ya doing?
        Anni

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

drinking

my husband drinks too much. was wondering if anyone out there can help me or understands this sadness?

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: drinking

Yes we do......re-post on general discussion to get more responses, my dear...we are all trying to tame the beast....Anni

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

help!!

Hi every1.

i've tried everywhere to get topiramate from uk drs, but no joy, i'm prepared to get it from US, but terrified about side effects and whether i may have an analphalatic shock from taking it (i'm allergic to lots of medications) Also i'm weening myself off Lustral (sertirizine) for my PMS and depression, so dont know how they will react together??
              can any1 please give me some info on this as i cannot get any answers from anyone or anywhere!!
              loads of love and thanks.
              Ps, i'm awaiting my cd's and supps etc from US and i have read the book, so i'm desperate to get started.
              Marieuk

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: help!!

This is my first posting. I found this site 3 days ago (after I had drinks at lunch). My fiance confronted me about my drinking (for probably the umpteenth time) that day. So, now I've decided to actually do something about it. Today is my third day without a drink. The first day wasn't so bad because I was upset/worried/embarrassed about the incident between my fiance and I. But last night I really really wanted a drink. I'm planning on doing this program and hopefully getting on topa. I don't want to say that I won't ever drink again; but for right now I don't want to drink and when I do drink again I want to be able to control the amount. I was drinking about 2-3 bottles of wine each night and 3-4 mixed drinks at lunch time. I also have been throwing up for about 6 months however the docs can't find anything wrong with me (I'm sure it's the alcohol). So, you could say it was a 'little' out of control. :c I hope I can get the support I know I'll need from all of you here. I'm going to order the cd's, supps, and hopefully topa.
                I want to say thank you to everyone for your posts as they are very supportive and I hope I can succeed with your help.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi sandjam

Hi Sandjam,
                  Glad to hear you want/need help with the evil drink!!
                  I too drink much the same as you, and it's the reaction from the hubby and kids which actually make me want to drink more (control thing going on i think, with me)
                  but since accidentally finding this site it has given me SOOOO much confidence in believing that "WE" can beat this thing with all the "tools" we have be given.
                  So here's to you, I and all "the Gang" who have had the courage to come here with likeminded people to kick this addiction in the butt once and for all!!
                  No-one said it would be easy but I know that without this site I think it would be damn near impossible, so thanks everyone and keep on supporting each-other.
                  loves and hugs.
                  marieuk x
                  ps i'm still waiting for my "tools" ie, cd's supps etc, but this site keeps me sane while i'm waiting!!

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Hi sandjam

Welcome sandjam and marieuk,
                    You will find many many stories like yours here. Get the book, supps, cd's and topa/campral. It does take some personal commitment as well, but we are all there to support you!

Marcie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

OH MY GOD>>>

I didnt realize that night sweats were a symptom of drinking! I am 45 and I thought, going thru early menopause. OK. Now one more reason to be here. Still stupid with all this...!

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

hey

Hi fellow newbies. Just checking in...did anyone else have trouble registering for the site?? I can't seem to get it to accept a registration. Anyway, it's been I guess about 3 weeks now for me, I've slipped a few more times than I would've liked but in general, have NOT drank more nights than I have and a several of those I was able to stop at the third glass of wine. So, in all, definitely making progress. Feeling stronger for sure. Healthier. Trying hard to do the CDs every day and actually even look forward to them. I am realizing that emotional issues definitely trigger the drinking for me, especially when I feel hurt or anxious so I'm trying to heighten those "suggestions" to help with that as I use the cds. Anyway, wishing I had the nerve to ask for the topa (would love the weight loss aspect too...) but am still trying to go without it.

Hang in there everyone! I think of all of my comrades on this journey every time I pick up the book, listen to one of the CDs or think about this program. Good luck with the weekend, always a tougher time to get through without over-indulging...

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: hey

Well my first full day w/o drinking was last Saturday. I have been pretty much under control since then although I have had a few drinks 3 days in total. But I haven't drank so much as I would have before. I'm still waiting for all of my materials and my topa. I'm really hoping this will work once I get all of the materials together. I hope everyone takes advantage of this site for help and companionship. I have been on this site for over a week now and I just told my fiance about it and the steps I am going to take to 'help' my situation. I just hope I can do this and that everyone's continued support will help.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

first week done

Hi:
                            I have been sober for 17 days and started the supps 7 days ago. I have been on Campral for 17 days, and it seems to work without too many side effects--one seems to be a low-grade headache--but I don't get it all the time.

I do get what I am thinking are emotional cravings (since Campral effectively, supposedly, takes care of the physical ones). Without alcohol, I realize that I am a really anxious person. I knew I was an anxious person, but it seems that I am really, really anxious! Also, I think sadness, tension, etc. seem to serve as triggers--not a great surprise, I guess.

I've used the hypnotherapy tapes every day, thus far. and they are calming, relaxing, and I think they may be working. When I found myself thinking, "I sure would like a glass of wine," this mental override came through--not particularly in words, but just like a "NO."

I was exercising before but have increased it--Pilates--which is relaxing, and aerobic, and oh, my God, spinning! I may not continue with this. It certainly is a work out, and I'm pedalling rather slowly compared to die-hards in the class. It still takes me at least an hour after stopping to cool down. However I have lost six pounds. So.... With the alcohol I am not drinking, I have estimated that, doing nothing else, I will lose 2 lbs. per month. 24 pounds a year, 48 pounds in two years etc. You get the picture. I actually need to lose only about 25 more pounds--so then I can eat the saved calories from alcohol!

Things I have discovered: I added the GABA and the glutamine in the recommended doses--perhaps this helps cravings, it is supposed to--but then I started doing this on the first day so I can't tell what it would have been like without them. I am going up to the new recommended dose on the kudzu as soon as I order a new bottle. I mix the All One in Crystal Lite (I tried three flavors and some needed a touch of Splenda but otherwise were fine). Someone on this board said to put the powder into the liquid--so true--the other way around makes it hard to mix and there are these disgusting lumps. I picked up this cute little thing at Williams Sonoma (probably could get something similar and cheaper at Linens and Things or Target--but this was $20.00) called a 'latte foamer'. I guess this is for all those folks out there who make their own lattes and puzzle about the lack of foam. Their lattes don't look like Starbucks! A tragedy! It is battery powered--so you can take it anywhere--like on vacation which I am going on in two weeks intending to lug my supps, powder, and latte foamer (!) etc. along. It mixes the All One completely in, and creates, you guessed it, foam on top! Almost, but not quite like a smoothie. Add the Splenda and it almost doesn't taste like vitamins. Okay, so this is silly, perhaps, but anything to add some humor to this process. Also this thing makes "whipped cream" if I can call it that, out of skim milk. My son was experimenting on all of the fluids in the house with interesting effects. This is turning into a family project--my daughter said she was so proud of me for not drinking, and my son asked where the wine was (intending to get a glass for me). I went to a party and didn't drink (Campral helps here as one will have a vicious headache--I think worse than any hangover--if one drinks), and it was interesting to watch other people get drunk and silly and to be one of the few sober people there. I don't think I have ever done that in my life. I think the party was even more enjoyable. What a concept!

One last find. Walgreens has this huge pill box. Seven across but only four down (five would be ideal). However, this thing is about a foot long and eight or nine inches wide. It is called a "Divididose," in case you want to try to find it on the Internet. However, it is not something one can easily lug to the office--fortunately, I work at home--but, one could fill up baggies with the daytime doses to be discreet at work. That mid morning handful is a handful and if observed would undoubtedly spark questions. The pharmacist looked at me oddly when I was buying it--and although I didn't have to explain, I did--said it was for my elderly father-in-law--he takes so many medications, don't you know, and it's tough for him to keep them straight. Shame and humiliation--such longtime friends.

A somewhat funny thing. A woman at my spinning class starts every class (I only go twice a week) telling us how many vodka tonics she had the night before and how bad her headache is. I frankly feel sick at the thought of getting on the bike with a hangover! That would be hell! I know the instructor and had mentioned before that I was stopping drinking for awhile to improve my spinning! Yeah! She asked me how it was going, and I said fine (sort of), and this other woman overheard us. So she has stopped drinking. She says I inspire her. I feel like I'm cheating a bit, because without the Campral, the supps, and the hypno tapes, I might be drinking. And this isn't something one can casually drop in conversation--hey, do you drink too much, sounds like you do, so did I, but then found this nice program that has you taking thousands of pills each day and swilling vitamin juice and listening to relaxing tapes, and then maybe, just maybe you might be able to stop, or at least slow it down. Not casual conversation.

Okay, now onto week two!

Ellen

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: first week done

WOW Ellen!

Thank You a million times over for sharing all of this with us. What a wealth of information for all of those just starting out. I don't suppose you could start a whole new thread with this. I fear this information that could help so many may get lost here at the bottom of this long thread. You could copy and past into a new one so you wouldn't have to retype it.

It sounds like you are doing so well with the program! I am in just thrilled for you!! Keep up the good work, and great big welcome to MWO!!

Donna

Oh, you have to register to edit like that. But if you get registered, you can join in some chats, and you can send and receive ezmails also!

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi I'm a newbie too. Am looking for advice on medication can anyone help? Have been to my Drs today & asked about Topamax but was refused because it is not licenced here in the uk for alcohol cravings! Does anyone know of a reliable source on the internet where I could purchase it from? I was offered acomposate but am worried about the side effects especially weight gain. I have read the book back to front and rearing to go but already feel like I am hitting a brick wall.

Sorry for going on so much, hope someone can advise.
                                Thank you - Mariashep xx

Comment

Working...
                                X