Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm a Newbie

mariashep,
    Not sure where a good place is to get the topa, but campral(acamprosate) is a good choice as well. I have no side effects from Campral. Topa does have more side effects, so if that is what you are worried about Campral may be the way to go. I do not think that weight gain is a side effect.

Good luck to you,
    Marcie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I understand that you can't drink at all with Campral. Is that true?

I really don't know if I want to go the medication route because I don't believe my craving are physical - it's all mental with me. I feel like I'm missing the party and that something is going on without me when I choose not to drink. Then I get resentful and depressed. I have lots of things I like to do by myself. I love to knit and belong to a knitting group. I am a member of Weight Watchers and often go to the meetings for support (I also work there). However, my hubby likes to work around the house, go to the bar and watch TV - that's it! It's a miracle that I can get him to go to a movie a couple of times a year. Then, after the movie, we head to the bar anyway. He's a wonderful man, but I wish he didn't enjoy his booze so much. He's not worried about it, but sure does affect my behavior.

Thanks for listening to my whining! :happy

Barb

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi Barb

Not really sure about drinking on the Campral or not I know you have to abstain completely before starting it. I know where you are coming from about the mental side of things! I feel that my home life is based around alcohol BBQ with neighbours etc... and if I don't drink I have not confidence whatsoever and just sit there like a lemon.
        There must be a way round it?
        Take care
        Maria

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

mee too on all this

I have a hard time when everyone else is drinking, I start, then I can't stop......THEN the physical craving (need for alcohol to feel normal again) kicks in.....I actually drink in the AM alot! I am very ashamed of that! But it seems like the only way to "normalize" myself anymore!!

My huband drinks every day, and other things too.........all the people at AA would always tell me I need to leave him yada, yada, yada........I don't WANT TO!!! We have 15 yrs and 2 kids and alot together.....hopefully the topa will make me "not care" about him (or everyone else around me, since the whole entire family drink like fish!!)

I am desparate, but on day 2.....I am a newbie too!

Thanks for the topic!

Mary Anne:

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: mee too on all this

Boy does that sound familiar!! I've been in & out of Re-hab, ...Hubby & I agreed to no alcohol in the house... after I got out of treatment. That lasted maybe a month!! If that...:rolleyes He likes his beer... so do I!! And if ya can't beat em.... Join EM!! It's pretty damn hard to not drink when someones sittin right next to you in your own home.. after a hard day of work... crackin' open a cold one...(not to mention, my family... @ gatherings!...)
            That's what I LOVE about this program!:h I've found a way, I can actually have a few, and still have my life....:happy ..and be able to function. and be responsible, ...hold down a job, keep my word, be reliable, stay outa jail...Even "like" myself again!:rollin

These past 6 months have been the best I've had in many, many, decades!:P :h :happy ...Judie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

yep

Thanks, Judie for the encouragement, I am on day 3 w/out anything....still waiting on the topa, read the book cover to cover last night, still don't have the kudzu, but plan to go to a huge healthfood store this Sat....will buy one tape today, so I can start on the hypno..........still don't know how I am going to comfortably do that in my house w/ 2 boys (12 & 14) and hubbie.......very anti-"psychobabble" sorta guy!

With all your support it should be ok though!!

Mary Anne

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Need advice

I am starting week two, and I'm happy and doing well, except for two things. One, I have diarrhea in the morning, and I don't know where it's coming from, (well, I guess that sounded a little strange. I do know where it's coming from, but I don't know what's causing it) and the other is that I have had an arthritis flare-up. I think the arthritis will subside with NSAIDs, but I think maybe it's the neutraceuticals that are causing the diarrhea, and I haven't a clue which one. Dr. Garcia's thread is blocked right now, so I'd appreciate some home-grown advice. Anyone?

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Need advice

Hi there, I can't speak to the arthritis flare up, but the other may be due to detox symptoms as your body adjusts to the nutrients. Magnesium and vitamin C especially do this in large amounts. If you have fiber, you may want to add a bit in, perhaps some ground flax seeds which will also help with your GLA. As for the arthritis, if you can find some pure bulk MSM and start with 1/4 tsp daily, then go up weekly until the pain and stiffness is gone, it works wonders. It does detox you though, so you may want to go slow if you are experiencing detox from the nutraceuticals.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

New and not sure

Hi guys,

Been plugging into the messages and so much is hitting home. Every morning I wake up and say to myself (in the bathroom mirror for full effect) "come on you can do it, detox, get your act together etc..) and it works great until around 5:00 pm if I am really good and then the bottle of wine (common drink of choice I see) starts winking at me. I have two young kids, who need Mommy to read bed time stories, help with homework, but I know that I neglect those duties. My husband likes to drink too, so what can I do to get out of this hole. I am a role model in my "other life" I am a personal trainer and exercise instructor and if my clients were to ready this they would be totally shocked. Yes Miss health and fitness is drinking herself to an early grave. I have already had 3/4 of a bottle and can type this with no problem, my tolerance is tremendous which I know is not a good sign. I train others to get fit and watch their diets and cannot help myself, even if I think or know all the reasons why I should not be doing this. Sorry, just had to get it out of my head.

B.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: New and not sure

B, I know what you are saying. I am an instructor for a weight loss organization - have been at my weight goal for 10 years until, somehow, 20 of my 45 lbs crept back on. I know it was booze. I eat well and exercise (unless booze gets in the way and makes me feel like not doing either). I feel like a hypocrite.

I too have a hubby who likes to drink and just doesn't think much of it. He can drink, and it doesn't really seem to bother him. I see him giving me funny looks when I get up to make myself that third drink. My son also made a comment about it during the school year when we were having a fight about his grades.

Now is the time - I either have to get it under control or quit. There is no good time except right now.

Barb

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

me too again

Hey B and Barb

Not a fitness instructor, but avid gym attendant, and healty food eater, but BOY can I drink:rolleyes ! I can drink my hybby (or almost anyone in his family)under the table, thought about treatment, detox, tried AA, you name it.........have a meager 4 days(including today!), but feel really GREAT about this program and all the people here...Keep posting and reading, there is hope!! I finally got and read the book, started supps and am waiting for the topamax.......

Give this a try, I have read that others drinking won't bother us in a while...can't wait for that!!

Mary Anne:h :P

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Tonight I went to a workout class instead of sitting...

Thanks for the replies,

Tonight I went to a class at the gym for a workout, because I was going crazy around 6:00pm without my evening drink (shouting at the hubby and kids for no reason except I was cranky). Feeling better, will go to bed soon, without any consumption.. but it's Friday tomorrow so I am going to try hard to moderate at least. This is a great site and I can relate to the messages here. It's good to know that normal everyday people who have decided that they need to do something about drinking are brave enough to face it and try to change.

B.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi

I am also new to this program. I have the book, the supps, the CD's and was ready to go last week, however, it has been a little rocky as I have been drinking heavily every other day. The supps seem to help with hangovers at least. I also really need to stop as I tend to black out when I drink and wake up feeling bad the next day. Last night I even drove my car to get beer! I feel like an idiot for doing that! You all are very inspirational! I will keep logging on to see how you do it and I keep hoping I will succeed.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Hi

Hey there Lissa,

We have all been there, so don't feel bad.........driven MANY MANY times when I shouldn't have, that is what is so great about these boards is that you can talk to people who can relate without feeling bad. Just give it a try for today, it is all we have. Did you see a doc yet about the topa?? I took my first dose today, tried to have a beer, it tasted like sh*t and I haven't had another for a while, may have another when my hubby gets here from working, but who knows?? It works so far, had WAY less drinks this week, in fact didn't drink at all Mon-Thurs, without the topamax!! This place and program are great!! :h

Mary Anne

Hope to see you back!:P

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Campral

Hi Mariashep, Barb, Mary Ann and of course everyone:

Specifically to your questions about Campral: You are supposed to start it when you haven't been drinking. I'm not sure what that means--possibly that you haven't been drinking on the day you take the Campral. I think the manufacturers don't want anyone to think that it will help with a serious withdrawal--because it won't. I had mild headaches on it initially, but those went away. I had tried it a year ago (without this program) and I thought it was great, but it may have triggered hypothyroidism in me. This is an extremely rare side effect, and I was borderline hypothyroid anyway. I'm on thyroid medication now and started using the Campral and have really had no problem except as above. I can't drink on it--and the cool thing is that I really don't want to. My eventual goal is moderation, but I am staying abstinent for a month and then will cautiously try. When I tried to drink on Campral (two glasses of wine), there was no immediate effect, but I had a terrible headache the next day. Worse than any hangover. Eventually, I want to try Naltrexone which supposedly you can drink on--just no buzz. Also, kudzu apparently prolongs the effect of one drink--so you don't want more. Can't speak from experience with the last two. Topa scares me--I don't need the memory problems. It's probably safe enough--and it sure seems to stop cravings.

I have known several personal trainers who had "substance abuse" problems. Just proves we are all human.

Ellen

Comment

Working...
                                X