Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Topa Side Effects

For those who were asking earlier. I definitely do have some of the cognitive ones. I'm at 150 mg/day right now. I have a little more problem typing than usual (dyslexic typos), and some problems with finding words when speaking. One day last week, I almost drove by the entrance to the plant where I have worked for the last 5 years! Fortunately, my husband and I commute together, and he noticed what was happening and stopped me. I have started adding the GABA to my supps routine. I've also noticed that the problems are worse towards the beginning of the week and even out toward the end of the week as my body adapts.

But they haven't been severe enough to impact my work..and I write for a living...

I also feel that if I don't continue to work on my alcohol consumption I won't have a job to worry about!

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hey there.
      After reading the book and exploring this site for a while, I just started a week ago on the supps (but for Kudzu its on the way) and Topamax and am very impressed. (I ordered the CD's yesterday) On the very first evening on the topamax I poured a small glass of red wine with my meal. My wife pointed out 2.5 hours later that after getting involved in projects around the house I still hadn't finished that glass. That has never happened to me before, ever. (I am a fairly heavy drinker.) In fact, before I would have almost seen it as my duty to finish that glass with the meal, and then have another, of course.

I do have some side effects from the Topamax, mainly brain fog/slugishness. Exercise helps. It was worst when I started at 25mg the first few days.

I titrated up to 50mg last night, had 2 glasses of wine (hey that's better than my usual 3-5 bourbons) and feel really good this morning, with just slight fog and I haven't even been for my morning run yet.(My doctor is following the Topamax dosing as in the book and the study)

I think the supps are very important. It is working so well at this point (first week ) and I"ll be adding the Kudzu and CD's next week. When I get the Topamax to the optimum dosage, I'll abstain completely for 30 days, and then go from there.

What I notice most after a week is not just reduced cravings but I'm also not preoccupied with the thought of drinking, or when I need to make another run to the store, etc.

Good luck

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

thank you so much for this email

oh god...

i am you as well...

this email is so full of truth...how many of you out there know all of this to be our story as well????

thank you....
        thank you ...
        thank you...

just this one letter from you has made me feel even more the same as all of us here...

blessings for your poetic honesty...

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hey Backpacker.. that's a great post.
          I've got more motivation now to hassle for topa..
          Thanks & Hugs to you
          MFM

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

drinking

:rolleyes

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Been watching for a while, I'm Ready

I've so enjoyed all of your posts over the last three or so weeks. I've been waiting for enough money to get on board myself. Because I'm so broke I already have a head start on March Madness.

I have to say, I am going to need your support guys. It seems to be a tight knit group and I don't want to invade but I don't really have many places to turn for the love and kidness you are giving each other here.

I look forward to being a part of something as nurturing, fun and honest as My Way Out.

Talk to you soon.

--Temple

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I need this

I've tried and failed so any times. Have tried to start moderating. I don't think that will work, but the thought of never drinking again is so hard to imagine. I love my wine, but I do believe it is killing me and starting to interfere with my work and relationships. I did well all weekend, then last night I stopped by a bar on my way home from a weekend workshop as I walked to the subway station. I was just going to have one Irish coffee. I met a lovely couple who were sitting next to me and we had a really nice chat (along with another Irish coffee!)
                They left and I just getting ready to go when a very handsome gentleman sat next to me and offered to buy me a drink. Of course I said yes! that led to 2 more glasses of wine and intoxication. I'm lucky I made it home. I feel like @#%$ today and disgusted with myself. I have ordered the book and gotten some of the supplements. Can this really work? I'm desperate.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: I need this

To everyone on this thread that I just finally read. Welcome and please don't feel like you are invading. This is a great community where everyone who struggles with alcohol is welcome. If you read t hrough old posts you know what a life saver it has been for us and the more people who find it and use it the better.

You would be hard pressed not to find a story or an experience that you can't relate to and you will always get the support that you need.

Keep posting and welcome to the program

Yvonne

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

thanks

Hi,
                    What a difference a day makes. I feel much better today (no drinking last night, but that's a pattern for me). When I feel crappy, I don't want to drink, so today has been more difficult...thinking about drinking, but now wanting to stay feeling good. It's nice to know that we're all helping each other to face our demons.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi, I'm starting out right now. I want to be alcohol free, and I want to start now. It has been since I was 14 that I have been binge drinking hard, and I am not in my thirties. I want to stop. Can you help?

No beer

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Sure, just hang in there and keep reading. Download the book and read that if at all possible.

Hugs,

Darlene

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi No beer - I agree if you order the book that's a good start . If you really want this you have to do whatever it takes. Order the supplements (they really do help) I'm unsure why but they do and most people on the board will agree. If you are in dire straights I would go to my doc and ask for the topa. People have been having a lot of success with that. It's not for everyone but at least after reading the book you can figure out if it's for you. It sounds like you really want this so go for it.

This board is amazing and you will be surprised with yourself if you keep posting. You will get a positive charge from people on here and you will also realize you are not alone.

I wish you success on your journey and hope to hear how you are doing. Remember Rome was not built in a day......

TTFN,
                          Nomorewining

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi all, what a great site .My names Graham, im 25 and from the UK. I've been drinking pretty heavily for the past 10 years and have decided enough is enough : .
                            I go through fazes of different drinks, sometimes 8 beers, sometimes a bottle of vodka most nights.
                            I'm not a unhappy person, quite the opposite, but am fairly shy. I think thats the reason I started to drink, that and my dads a alcoholic(8+ cans of beer, everynight for the last 30 years).
                            I have lived in a few places with work, which I enjoy. I lived in Austria for 3 years and made some good freinds through work who would ask me out in a evening, but mostly I would just stay in with a bottle :rolleyes , proberly because it was easier than facing my social phobia. My work has'nt been effected by drinking, although I do act rather strange sometimes in a morning after a vodka sesh. Once I sort my head out by lunch, I feel rubbish cos i've acted a prat during the morning, which makes my sad and angry which then makes me want a drink when I get home at night.
                            On the few occasions i hav'nt drank the night before I feel good and act fine, and i feel pleased with myself and more confidant and that little voice in my head says ' ooo, well done you, have a drink tonight to celebrate, a few drinks wont hurt' !, then I do and the morning after I feel rubbish and paranoid again and the cycle starts again.
                            I've been sober for three days now, which feels good but I would love to get some Vodka and have a good sesh, im my room, on my own with my p.c. How sad is that? I can do much better than this, i just need to keep reminding myself that drinking is no future.
                            Sorry is this makes no sense, i just needed to say it Thanks.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hey Cheeseburger - Welcome. You picked a good place to start. Read some of the posts and maybe download the book which would be a good start. It's amazing how you will start thinking more positively and start making the changes. However, not to get ahead of myself. I think once you read the book you can understand what I mean. You may decide to do the whole program or just part of it.

In any case I wish you luck. Just to let you know I think you should post on a new thread. This one has been around for a while and you might get missed. Just, right at the beginning Select add a new topic and just say your new... or Hi whatever. This way people can see someone new is in the group and you will get more feedback.

Good Luck,
                              TTFN,
                              Nomorewining

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi,
                                I've been on the site several weeks now and just joined. Thought I could do this by myself but no luck. I did not have a drink for 4 days but today was a little hard sooooooooo had some wine.
                                I bought the vitamins at a health store. They do make a little difference but not as much as I thought they would. I do like the idea of privacy. Just can't go to AA. I am a professional with an ego. Afraid to face some demons so just deny they are there.

Comment

Working...
                                X