Hi I'm a Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm a Newbie

hi michelle! you sound like you're doing brilliantly! perhaps you could take lots of kudzu until you get your campral script? may help! i've been doing okay with just moderating,but at weekends i still seem to go over the top so i know i've got to sort it out! take care. jennyx

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Jenny,

'ello stranger!! How have you been? You haven't been posting much so I wasn't sure you were still around! Are you bald yet??

Are you still taking the Topa? That should have stopped you drinking so much?? (Or at least made your hangovers worse!!)

I went to my first 'sober' party on Saturday! Thought I'd stick out like a sore thumb but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! I didn't get any snide comments/looks (I think we make more of it in our heads), most people that asked about it just saw it as a lifestyle choice...like not smoking or being a veggie and I think everyone said "Good for you", so I was pleasantly surprised.

I've also noticed that I've stopped patting myself on the back everyday for not drinking which made me chuckle. It's just become normal for me to not drink!! I NEVER THOUGHT THIS WOULD HAPPEN!! Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way complacent (sp?) about it..to be honest, I don't think I ever will be..but I'm getting to the point where it's not dominating my whole thinking process and that's exactly what I've wanted all along! Yay!

Anyway, there goes my essay writing again!! Well done with your moderation hun. Anything less than what you were drinking is a step in the right direction! And thanks for the advice, although I think it'll be sheer bloodymindedness that'll get me through!! x

-Michelle x

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop" -- Confucius

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Elaine,

I found I was absolutely exhausted for about the first week and a half and even now I tend to go to bed for 9.30! I think your body is just taking a well earned rest from all that poison it's endured!!

I took Topa initially, it worked wonders but was soo expensive hence moved onto the Campral. I found that the Campral wasn't as effective with the cravings as the Topa (for me) and I had to fight that little bit harder. Another thing with the Campral is that you have to have been sober for a while before taking it. I can't remember how long...a week I think (perhaps someone else can jump in here??)

I see you have joined the 2 week ab's! Well done, I think that's a fab' idea. I know when I first started, literally the first few days, every time I heard that voice in my head screaming for a drink I imagined all the girls (and the few boys!!) on this site sitting in their lounges struggling too and I thought to myself "if they can do it, so can I", it may sound silly but it's got me to 9 weeks without getting drunk so I don't care if I'm silly!

Lastly, I know you are terrified....so am I. I guess it comes with the territory. But I say it's good to be scared because for me it's that fear, amongst other things, that's stops me going back to the place that was so dark and lonely and scary. I'm just starting out in this new place and I carry around that fear as a reminder of what I have achieved, off my own back, for me and my daughters. Have a good day, I'll be thinking of you.

-Michelle x

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop" -- Confucius

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Ok - i will carry on snoozing in the afternoon without feeling guilty. Our new three month old puppy loves it so it is good for both of us!!

Can't decide whether to try the Campral. I think I may ask my husband to go and get it so that I am not recognised as an alcoholic. He will just have the embarrassment of being recognised as the husband on one!! I certainly do need something to get me through the early evening. Maybe think I should give some of the other supplements a go - have you or anyone else tried anything and found them effective?

Hope you are doing ok without the Campral...

Elaine x

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I too, am just getting into the program. I have the book and the CD's. I have ordered the All One sup, and the Kudsu and should receive them next week. I am buying the other sups locally. I saw my Dr. yesterday and was very surprised at how supportive he was. I took him some of the research materials, as suggested. He was interested in reading more about the program. He had never heard about using Topamax to treat problem drinking. I was honest with him for the first time ever about how much I drink on a daily basis. I have been seeing him for about twelve years and for twelve years I have been lying. I told him if I had been truthful he would have insisted I quit long before now, and I wasn't ready. I also explained to him how nerveous I was, and how hard it was for me to open up to him, and he said he totally understood. I felt a big load lifted when I left his office. I have been dreading that day ever since I decided to start the program. Hope you other newbies will have the same experiance.

A qiuestion for anyone with an answere. Did you stop drinking at your onset in the program, or did you taper off as the cravings subside? I would like to hear about both approaches.
            Thanks for your support. Eliziby

I forgot to mention that I left my Dr.'s office with two perscriptions for Topamax, and he is going to see on a regular basis while I'm on the program.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

"Did you stop drinking at your onset in the program, or did you taper off as the cravings subside?"

Hi Eliziby,

Firstly, good for you on making this big decision! To answer your question from my experience...I didn't really think about it too deeply initially and drank "moderately" for the first week (having 1 drink per night as opposed to having 6!) But I soon realised I wasn't comfortable with doing this as it still felt that alcohol had a hold over me. So I decided to abstain. My thinking *was* for a period of abstaination and then see how I felt once the hold was broken but coming up to week 10 now (Mon) and I'm going to stick with abstaining, for now anyway. It's been said by a few others on here, and I have to agree, that a period of abstaination is a good idea, just to give your body (and mind) a rest. Then you can re-evaluate moderate drinking with your eyes wide open. That's my 2p's worth anyway!! Good Luck and Wishing You Strength.

-Michelle x

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I'm new too... fed up with my abuse of alcohol since my husband died - a bottle of wine most nights - and the feeling of having no control, worrying about the effect on my 13yr old, my health etc etc (although he tells me in no uncertain terms). I went surfing this morning in desperation and stumbled across this website... (after ordering numerous amount of books at Amazon!).

I've now ordered the book, cds and supplements - and feeling positive that this is something that can work. Not sure what to do about the medication though. Really don't want to go to my GP with this... but feeling a bit wobbly about ordering them overseas (I'm in the UK). Had a look online but can't quite bring myself to press that order button - taking antidepressesents so concerned about any clash with them. Still, I've also downloaded the book so will start reading it and think about it.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Welcome,
                  I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband!How difficult this must be for you. I'm inpressed that you have the courage to seek out help. I too can easily consume a bottle of wine a night and am very new to the program. Have started the May abstinence program and there is a great deal of support there so you can hop right on . I received the book and the cd's last week and have been going through them . Found the cd's strange at first but am now hooked on them. They are very relaxing. I am not taking the topomax either as wanted to try the program without it and did worry about requesting it from my Dr.. Perhaps one of the others can tell you more about how it has helped them. If I cannot work the program without the topomax then Iwill try to get it but for now will try without it. As I said someone who is taking it can advise you better.
                  Welcome,we are all here for you

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Newbie

Hi wrightkp,

I'm in the UK too. If you get yourself registered I can send you an ezMail if you'd like and I'll let you know about my experiences with Topa, etc. (I'm also on antidepressants). You wont be able to get it on prescription here, not for alcohol dependence anyway!

To register, click on the 'register account' link, somewhere at the top of the page (I can't remember where exactly!!), it's quite small so you might have to squint!!

Take care, I hope to hear from you...oh and welcome!

-Michelle x

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Me again!

Just had a look, "register free account' link, top left of the page!!

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi vinophile and Michelle,

I've now registered (was wrightkp). Thanks for your welcomes.

Just told the bereavement counscellor this morning that what I drank was a problem for me as I wanted to drink less etc etc. I'm one of these once the bottle is opened I basically finish it. Didn't have any last night but was thinking about it alot. Reading some of 'My way out' and I'm thinking, I know exactly what they mean!! I'm looking forward to starting the programme

Karen....

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I read a number of comments about tapering off versus quitting and my approach is to plan on moderating when faced with the "opportunity" to drink and then otherwise not drink because I just don't want to think about it. Yesterday, Like Eliziby, I found my kaiser physician, her staff, and the pharmacist very supportive of my decision to do something about my alcohol consumption. None had heard of Topomax for cravings but were very interested in how it might work. Kaiser has a very strict( they don't let you take alergy meds etc.) AA based addiction program and I was pleasantly surprised to find my doctor more cooperative. Oops! tangent. I related to a lot of people on the posts and would like to moderate, yet I also realize that it might not be an option for me. I live in Northern Cal and would be intersted in learning more about the buddy system and how to get the best support from this website.47, Married with children. Stay at home (past two years). DAy 2 - Keke

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

A 'My Way Out' virgin

So... got the book ordered

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: A 'My Way Out' virgin

Welcome Karen,
                              This program is a great help to stop drinking or to learn how to drink in moderation. If you are considering moderation a period of abstinence is recommened you can read more about it in the book when you get it.

You will find a lot of support of many women and even a few guys too, who all share many of the same issues.

Great job getting a start with some exercise, that is an important part of the program!

Good luck!
                              Marcie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: A 'My Way Out' virgin

Thank you Marcie...

Comment

Working...
                                X