American Slicing Cheese Appetizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nutritional yeast flakes have a wonderful cheesey taste and @ Whole Foods are in the vitamin/supplement section. It is not the yeast for baking. The flakes are yellow. The flakes look like the dry potatoes that you can get in a box. The GREAT thing about the nutritional yeast is that there is only 1 g of fat, 9g protein,820% B1,720% B2, 370% B3 (niacin),310% folic acid,150% biotin.560% B6, 150% B12.

You can add it to lots of dishes. The container says it has a nutty flavor. It is made by Nutraceutical for makers of KA oout of Utah.

neutraceutical.com: The Leading Vitamins Site on the Net or 800.365.5966

My contained will not expire until 2012

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the info. This sounds like something I can add to food to boost the B vitamins.

Now I have to try this for sure!!

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I have also heard that sprinkling nutritional yeast on popcorn (instead of salt/butter) is really good. I have never tried it- but think I might. A thought...
        -S

Comment

It is my favorite way to make popcorn. Sprinkle Bragg's aminos and nutritional yeast on it. So delish.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

ok, at the risk of committing culinary blasphemy....is brewers yeast not the dried equivalent of vegemite?
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

There is NO equivalent of Vegemite! None. It is ewenique!

Comment

I've had brewer's yeast on popcorn. Not bad. Mmm, now I want popcorn, but with BUTTER, thank you very much! I remember in college when someone would make popcorn, and it smelled so good down the hall, that someone else made popcorn, and then you had to make popcorn..... (These were the days before microwave popcorn!)

Comment

Jiffypop CS! fond memories indeed.

yes Tawns, Vegemite is in it's own class. However it's difficult to spread onto popcorn. you could make vegemite/popcorn balls though? hmmmm. that just doesn't sound right though.
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Wow, thanks for the feed back - I'm gonna look out for it in the health store - I do have my doubts whether I'll find it here tho.
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I have finally got all the ingredients together -- yip even the yeast flakes.
                      Now my dilemma is I only have gelatin sheets -- so how many would I use?
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

lushy;609732 wrote: Thanks Duck. I am a cheese lover but I will give this a try since your other recipes have turned out well (although must admit this sounds very different).

Yes CS this is a vegan alternative to cheese.
                        Am I missing something here guys. Vegan cheese substitue using gelatine?
                        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

KTAB there are many plant based gelatines, mostly made from seaweed.
                          Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                          If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                          November 2, 2012

Comment

Ha ha, it is so funny reading this. I have been a vegetarian for thirty years or so and thought I knew it all. I have no idea what gelativ is. Lucky please enlighten me.

But this is like playing telephone because somehow it has morphed into gelatin. Then something about JiffyPop and then a question about the relationship between gelatin and seaweed.

There is absolutely no relationship between gelatin and seaweed. Gelatin is an animal product made from you don't want to know what from the slaughterhouse floor. Seaweed is a sea vegetable which I am a bit of an expert on since I eat all kinds all the time. Some such as agar are used to make desserts in a way similar to gelatin as a hardener with fruit juices to make desserts such as kanten. I love kanten and make it at home.

I am being boring again.
                            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Boring?? Hush up mags. After I see Food Inc. today I'm probably going to come do a cooking internship with you OK? Only for about a year or so.
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Good Morning Mags
                                You are not being boring
                                I use agar-agar all the time
                                I make a "gelatin" dessert (not vegan) with milk and almonds and serve with canned fruit.
                                I like agar-agar because I can make a stiffer dessert than with gelatin. I just substitute it for gelatin in recipes because I like the texture more. I don't know what katen is. Is it a sweet?
                                I learned to use agar-agar from my Cantonese in laws.
                                Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                                If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                                November 2, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X