X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Soda Bread

Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly grease and flour a
    cake pan. In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry
    ingredients. Rub in the butter until the flour is crumbly.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured
    surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)

Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a
    cross in the top of the dough.

Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this
    simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an
    additional 15 minutes.

The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when
    tapped to show it is done.

Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on
    the cloth to keep the bread moist.

Let cool and you are ready to have a buttered slice with a nice
    cup of tea or coffee.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Irish Soda Bread

thank you so much KTAB! I will try it in the morning!!
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

I havn't had in in ages...think I will make it this evening! Hubby loves it..
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

Geeesh ... WTF is a bastible pot? ..OK, off to google.

Looks good Mrs. Ktab. Thanks.

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

Got to love some peoples enthusiasm, this is from Society for the Preservation of Irish Soda Bread where I "borrowed" the recipe. These pots were used on the big open fires in the traditional cottages, the ones that were big enough to walk under. Just use a floured baking tray it will come out fine.

Irish Soda Bread Dutch Ovens

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

sheesh, its a camp oven! Why dinna ya say so?? :H:H

thanks KTAB and Mrs KTAB!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

thanks KTAB!! I made it this morning (put too much soda in, but it was yummy anyway!) Had it with sausages, bacon, mushrooms, creamed spinach, roasted tomatoes and poached eggs. We probably wont eat for another 24 hours!!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

Awwhh fantastic! Sounds wonderful..glad to see the old irish recipes alive and kicking!!

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

[QUOTE=one2many;850829]Awwhh fantastic! Sounds wonderful..glad to see the old irish recipes alive and kicking!![/QUOTE

my dad and grand'da would have been heading off for a post -brekkie nap about now!!! :H

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

LOL..it is quite feeeling but I havenever had it with the aditions you have had...how do you make creamed spinich???

AF 10th May 2010
                    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

one2many;850833 wrote: LOL..it is quite feeeling but I havenever had it with the aditions you have had...how do you make creamed spinich???
                      having big difficulties with this! We go to a New Orleans restaurant here that is fabulous and they have creamed spinach to die for. Have been trying to re-create it at home, but not having much success. This morning's attempt was the best so far ..... basically a roux sauce, but I made it with buttermilk (very hard to find here) and added some left over gruyere cheese. Also used frozen spinach - I usually use fresh, but we are heading into winter, so my last spinach is at bit tough.

Long and short story is that I am a long way from getting it right, and if anyone has a fail-proof recipe I would love to get it!! Thinking about trying it with sour cream or yoghurt ...

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

Delighted you tried it Miss B and it turned out well. It is irresistible warm from the over with a big knob of real butter and a bucket of tea. Love spinach btw.

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

Miss Behaving;850290 wrote: sheesh, its a camp oven! Why dinna ya say so?? :H:H

thanks KTAB and Mrs KTAB!
                          I just read this thread. I have 3 different size camp ovens. but buggered if I've ever heard them called abastible pot.

Gonna make some this week. How did yours turn out Miss????

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

well, our camp ovens are all in storage, so I just did it in a non-stick cake tin and covered it with a heavy fry pan while it was in the oven.

Recipe was completely spot on!!!! I was slightly over-generous on the baking soda which was a mistake and I could taste it. Will make it again this week and err on the side of caution for the amount of baking soda. Think this recipe might be a keeper!!

I wasn't quite sure what "wheat flour" was, but I just used my normal wholemeal.

And buttermilk is virtually unknown here, but I tracked some down. It was great and I also used it in our leek and potato soup tonight .... much better than either normal skim milk or yogurt which is what I normally use. It was not that expensive and the fat content was pretty good too.

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Irish Soda Bread

KTAB,

Mr B's birthday tomorrow. As it is a Saturday morning I offered a big breakfast. His #1 request was the soda bread I made two weeks ago!! This recipe is a keeper!

We also have black pudding, thick cut bacon, cumberland sausages, tomatoes on vine and parkvale flat mushrooms. His birthday present includes Dixie Chicks (Chicks Rule) , Jefferson Airplane (Fly), Tom Waits (cant remember title!!), damson plum jam and chocolate hearts.

I am looking forward to the morning!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Working...
                              X