Spiritual question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual question

Iposted this in the reading section, but this is a better place for my inquiery:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello fellow readers,

Did you read the "The Alcohol and Addiction Cure" By Chris Perentiss?
    If you did, I have a question. His spiritual belief is such that something good is supposed to come out from even the most dire situation, in his case his son's heroine addiction. And in his world it did - they opened a treatment program, helped many people and wrote a book.

From your own story - do you see anything positive coming out from your alcohol addiction? Any grand scale results, any "aha moments, I was supposed to go through this"
    Did your addiction lead to anything positive?
    I am still waiting for my enlightenment, but thought I would ask the forum.
    "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiritual question

Well, I am not sure where this will lead me yet, but I was made redundant from my job in IT and now I am waiting to start volunteering at an addiction agency. I am planning to study to enable me to start a new career in this field. Had I not gone through what I have (drugs and alcohol) I doubt very much if I would have considered this line of work.

I read the Chris Prentiss book and I happen to agree with his belief that things happen for a reason.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Spiritual question

New Me, I have a book to recommend to you that we sell in our Metaphysical shop....
      LOVE the book, don't get along personally with the author Robert Schwartz...It's called Courageous souls and there is a chapter on alcoholism and explains how brave a soul is to make the CHOICE to come in with that as a soul's challenge.
      It is only thru challenge that we grow.
      I am grateful today to be an alcoholic...I REALLY AM !!!
      I am a 5th generation spiritualist and have never know anything other than spirit communication....(EVER since childhood).... Even so, I found this book to answer questions, that I still had.
      Robert called me and "blind tested" my readings to see if I was GOOD enough for his next book.......He excitedly called and said ...YOU PASSED...my reply to him was (sorry .......but you didn't) !!!
      I knew psychics who had worked on his first book with him and they said he was "impossible" to work with..so, I passed on that... BUT I LOVE THAT BOOK.... AND HERE IS HIS WEB SITE
      Your Soul's Plan - Discovering the Real Meaning of the Life You Planned Before You Were Born
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Spiritual question

Evie, I will check if my library has it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, the path may lead to helping others, or who knows what.

I have a lot about alcoholism and addiction - there is one conclusion that shines almost through every book (except strictly medical books) - spirituality, or belief, or whatever you name it is a necessary element of recovery. Perhaps we who are still struggling may be missing that element? I do not want to open a Pandora box on this forum, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I am just sharing the results of my research.

I, myself am still searching for my own way out ....
        Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Spiritual question

sorry for the Typos in my first post ....I was in a hurry... but I am glad to answer or point you toward authors and teachers who may be able to help you !!
          Bless up on your path of recovery !!!
          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Spiritual question

Well it's too early to tell if I will be OK but I did find everyone here so I consider that blessing (for me).

Comment

Spiritual question

since i became alcohol free i have an inner peace that certainally wasent there before & i am more contented then ever,cant really explain it,still working on it,but it feels good

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Spiritual question

Good question, NewMe. Wow, I didn't realize all this until I started to answer it, but I now have a deeper humility before God and the universe; a keener knowledge of how fragile we all are; a greater tolerance and understanding of my fellow humans; and -- most importantly, I think -- a moment-by-moment sense of gratitude for Life in all its rich fullness. If you've ever lost a child for a few seconds or for an interminable minute, this feels rather the same as when you find them again, that is, the horror of what might have been lost forever is replaced by a flood of relief, joy, and well-being. Would I have had this sense if I had never taken the first drink? Probably not. What God and I will do with it going forward remains to be seen, but I'm open...

(Props to you, Starts! That's AMAZING!!)
                "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Spiritual question

I believe that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I also believe we choose our path in life. I know lot's of alcoholics ( recovering) who are truly spiritual people, they tell me when the time is right that the peace we all long for comes to us, and that peace like love is only returned when you give it away.

Comment

Spiritual question

I thought about my own question for a day, and realized that having the dependency made me more humble... Similar to what LilBit said. I always felt like I am strong and hate to admit, I was probably very arrogant. I had little compassion for human weakness, being so perfect myself!

I also felt for my Dad, who stuggled on his own with a bottle, no access to AA, MWO, supplements, just grim reality and a nagging wife. He must have suffered from the same shame, humiliation, mental anguish and had no one to turn to. He is dead, but I wish I could tell him that, now I understand...
                    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Spiritual question

Well I haven't read the book (made a note to look for it the next time I'm at the libuary) but I too am a believer that "everything happens for a reason"
                      In this last year, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and at the time couldn't understand WHY now would this be happening to me... because I was then ready to deal with it. I am happy to report that with some vile medication and what not that is all now behind me.
                      I like what Evie says about being "grateful" for being an alcoholic -- I would never have thought I'd have been grateful for the crap stuff in life, but honestly today I am. It has made me a better person.
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Spiritual question

I have always heard that "what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger"....

I have much more compassion for people now than I used to....Humble is a good word.
                        Jesus said..."Blessed are the poor (humble) in spirit " Matthew v, 3
                        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Spiritual question

Things definitely happen for a reason, and I am not a religious person. I'll add more thoughts to this later.

Comment

Spiritual question

I feel much like NewMe... not sure if I would call my previous disposition arrogant.. possibly so, but definitely ignorant. And yes, the most important thing this whole affair has taught me and continues to teach me is humility and compassion for others.

I also believe that things happen for a reason and much like 'the teacher will appear when the student is ready'... events, opportunities, a change of direction will appear when we are ready for it.

Starty, if I didn't have Mr. Wonderful (my very personal IT manager) I'd hire you! LOL
                            Props for starting something new and unrelated!
                            Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Spiritual question

My first post..God was always in my life, but kinda like the wallpaper or the gravel on the driveway. Now (S)He's like a forehead mounted headlamp, or a spatula-just the tool I need for this awesome,terrifying journey of staying sober. Ruralmidwife.

Comment

Working...
                              X