I promised God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I promised God

Last year before I quit drinking I heard a story about someone in the public eye who was struggling with coccaine addiction. She had tried and failed many many times but had finally beaten it. When asked what was different this time she replied that before when she relapsed, she disapointed and let herself down, or her parents or her public or her friends....
    This time she made a promise to God and therefore whenever temptation came she asked herself "how can I let God down?".

This story resonated so strongly with me as I realized I could always justify letting myself down. I asked God to help me with my addiction and in return I promised I wouldnt let him down. Several weeks later I had my last drink which I had planned maticulously, as the time approached I felt really afraid of the unknown that lay ahead of me but when the moment came I felt an over whelming sense of peace as if I had been wrapped up in a huge safety banket. I do believe it was God's presence in the room with me that night and I dont ever want to let him down......
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

I promised God

That's awesome Chillgirl!!!!!!!

I had the same experience. Isn't it fantastic to feel God pulling with you?!

Very happy for you. There's nothing that can replace a relationship with the Father of all.

Be blessed.
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

I promised God

Johnny, is was one of the most amazing experiences of my life!! I feel So privileged to have felt what I would say were "the arms of God", its so important I remember this when times are difficult.... Im so glad you understand what im talking about.
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

I promised God

I do absolutely. He is my strenght.

He is the Way the Truth and the Life my friend.

By the strenght of the Spirit we can conquer this.
        AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

I promised God

Hi ChillGirl,

There are many of us on here who believe in God and very happily do so! Im so glad you have your faith in Him. He is always there like the patient Father. (very patient for some of us, LOL). I also like Jesus in the image of the Shepherd he refers himself to in the Bible.

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I AM the good shephard. The
          good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep" John 10:9-11 NIV

One thing that I like to do (Oh I need to do it more!!!) is say, "Jesus... what can I do for YOU today??"

Be Blessed Chillgirl. God does indeed love you

P.S. Chillgirl. The experience you talked about has been shared with me by others too. I have felt His presense as a wave of Peace washing over me where I just knew everything would end up fine. Others have shared with me wayyy more intense experiences, and these are my friend and my Sister. They would only share with me the TRUTH of what they felt! I believe them!
          I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

I promised God

That's awesome Chill! For me, the hard part is remembering God is there even when I don't feel like He is. I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that aid "God is faithful" and that really struck me - I usually think more about how good He is, how sovereign, how powerful, etc. The idea that He's faithful to keep His promises even when it doesn't feel like it was a great reminder to me.

God bless!
            SoFlo
            "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
            AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

I promised God

OverIt2007;871327 wrote: Hi ChillGirl,

P.S. Chillgirl. The experience you talked about has been shared with me by others too. I have felt His presense as a wave of Peace washing over me where I just knew everything would end up fine. Others have shared with me wayyy more intense experiences, and these are my friend and my Sister. They would only share with me the TRUTH of what they felt! I believe them!
              Overit - I just had to tell you that reading this sent a shiver down my spine, the overwelming sense of peace we are talking about cannot be put into words and just reading this brought back some of that feeling for me...

SoFlo - One of my favorite quotes is by Mother Teresa "God never gives us anything we cant handle.... I just wish he didnt trust me so much".
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

I promised God

Hi Chillgirl!!

This is where I get just a "little" ticked off at people who put down Christians. We know these experiences are real experiences and not just figments of our imagination. Who is anyone to say that we have not indeed experienced the presense of the One true Living God.
                When we put our faith in Him does it not say the Holy Spirit comes to live inside us? The Holy Spirit is as real as the nose on my face, of course it only makes sense we would feel His presence. He promised that He would always be with us.

Comment

I promised God

Chillgirl, this post is beautiful. God has worked miracles in my life. And i've only opened my heart to Him two weeks ago. God found me, and grabbed me, and now i know he is holdin me in his arms. We are his children. His babies. He loves us. I cry when i go to church, cause i feel so overwhelmed by His presence. Praise be to God.
                  Failure is only failure the moment you give up.
                  AF since 04th May 2010
                  Fell overboard on the 8th July!
                  My worst mistake was thinking that what i did wasn't that bad.
                  :crazymonkey:

Comment

I promised God

WOW chill that IS beautiful. I'm trying to bring some of this into my life. I'll keep at it!
                    “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

I promised God

Techie, God will find you if you let Him, I truly believe that with all my heart. Its a learning experience for sure, but an amazing journey to be on.

Be Blessed..

Comment

I promised God

OverIt2007;880022 wrote: Techie, God will find you if you let Him, I truly believe that with all my heart. Its a learning experience for sure, but an amazing journey to be on.

Be Blessed..
                        Thank you Overit!
                        “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Working...
                        X