The 12 Steps and Spirituality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pondered for a while as to which would be the best section to start a thread about this and decided on this one.

I would like to recommend a quite amazing book called 'One breath at a time, Buddhism and the twelve steps by Kevin Griffin'

In my experience many people have issues with the whole higher power and religious aspects of AA and it stops them from participating in what could be a life saving program.
    I am not a Buddhist or nor am I endorsing any particular religious doctrine but honestly believe this book could change lives and by getting people to look at the 12 steps in a way maybe they havent done previously. I know for me that was very much the case. I was amazed by his explanations of the steps, the story of his getting sober and his spiritual growth.
    Here is a link to amazon and it is available to 'look inside' which means you can read the start of the book and make your own mind up.

Amazon.com: One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps (9781579549053): Kevin Griffin: Books

If it helps even one person I shall be delighted. Thank you for reading this post.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Just had a squizz. Look's a great read KT.
    Thank's, and best wishes to you.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

intersting K t,budda,christianity,agnostic, any faith has rules,life in general have rules,some men or women at sometime overstep there boundries,i beleive im a christian person,i dont judge anyone elses faith,i beleive people have to find out what is rt for them,there is nothing new to drinking,other then its the second biggest killer in the world,in more ways then one,if a personhas a alergy to peanuts,they dont eat peanuts,if a person is alergic to milk products the dont use them,there are many reasons researched, why were the way we are,remember alcchoholism has to do with affecting the Brain,if the brain doesnt think logically,it wont make the rt decision,as far as AA,ive been thro there doors for 11 years off and on,if it works dont let it go,it did not for me,the book says its not for all,i dont beleive bob and bill,if they seen how it was today,they mt be disappointed,not in there growth of numbers,that they would be sad to see how addition in society has evolved,we are the most intelligent species on this earth,so the intellects tell us,im beginning to dibeleive that comment,over indulging in anything can be hazardous to your health,addiction has been researched rt out the ying yang,people have proven they can just stop,stop gyco or reteach ones self to moderate there lifestyles,good post gyco

Comment

KTAB, I can't wait to read this book. It has come highly recommended by someone else here as well (Chill perhaps??? can't recall now!) It's waiting for me in my pile!

Mean time, I will just ditto that for me, sorting through the whole higher power issue was a struggle and until I found a way to work through that I was not able to fully benefit from the AA program. I think this is true for many people. Anything that helps us work through those issues is a blessing in our lives - inside or outside of AA I think.

Thanks for sharing this,

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi guys thanks for your feedback. Doggygirl it may well have been Chilli as I recommended it to a few people here when I first started the book but wanted to finish it before I 'went public', as it were

Comment

Hi KTAB - As you know Im reading this too and am currently on step 10. I just wanted to share some of my fav paragraphs from each step and add some reflections....

taken from step 1:-

"We are powerless over alcoholism and the effects of alcohol, but we are not powerless over whether we pick up a drink or not. The Buddha was emphatic that we are responsible moment to moment for our words and actions, not just victims of destiny or hidden forces; we have free will. We dont have power over what desires we have but we do have power over what action we take."

Sometimes our thoughts try to convince us the craving of addiction is outwith our control its in believing this thought that causes the problem not the thought itself which we can choose to not believe. Once we get a clear understanding of this we are in a much stronger position to deal with our addiction.

Chill
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

For a long time I battled with the whole control issue. I couldnt accept that I was powerless over AL when I have free will and the choice whether to pick that first drink up or not.
              "We dont have power over what desires we have but we do have power over what action we take."
              Exactly and once that realisation is made then acceptance follows and the real work can begin. Seems simple when we look at it in this way.

Comment

Hi KTAB: Yes, great book. Great guy, too. I had a long-time meditation practice going before I got de-railed by a divorce and dove into a wine bottle. When I found Kevin's book I actually contacted him and got some great suggestions. Here's a link to some talks that he has given as a meditation teacher: Dharma Seed - Kevin Griffin's Dharma Talks

Also, another young teacher who combines 12-step work with the dharma is Noah Levine, "Dharma of Recovery." Dharma Seed - Noah Levine's Dharma Talks

And for fun and inspiration, you might also enjoy Wes Nisker's talks. Funny, cosmic, scientific, inspiring and practical, all at the same time. Dharma Seed - Wes Nisker's Dharma Talks

Okay, I'm done for now. But the whole web-site is an awesome resource if one is Buddhistically inclined, which I am. Nothing about "religion," just straight talk from an array of teachers and practitioners committed to finding a way out of suffering.

Thanks for letting me share :thanks::H
                "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Thanks KTAB this has certainly piqued my interest!
                  “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

This sounds great Ktab, like Sheri, I think it may be good for life in general too...I am gona order it.

GREAT links Reddy!! Thanks a million!
                    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

This is a extract from step two:-

The fight with the Higher Power idea is just one of many battles addicts and alcoholics wage. This war stems from a core negative state, called in Buddhism "aversion". The very attempt to intoxicate ourselves is an act of aversion to life. When we dull or blot out our consciousness with drugs and alcohol, we are cutting ourselves off from life itself.

This spoke volumes to me and describes perfectly how it felt to me. Personally, my Higher Power is within me but by drinking I blocked my connection to this authentic part of me. Surrendering meant ceasing the battle my addiction was waging to keep me separate from my Higher Power.

Chill
                      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                      AF - JAN 1st 2010
                      NF - May 1996

Comment

Thanks for your feedback everyone and for the links Red.
                        Chilli I like the extracts/quotes and you are so good at picking them out. I suddenly remember a bit then have to trawl back and of course cant find it. Should have marked the pages, I suppose :hitme:

Comment

Thanks KTAB, my reading style has developed into having a pencil and a highliter close to hand!

Step 3 - make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him

There was much in this chapter that resonated with me, "Buddha means one who is awake, so taking refuge in the Buddha means taking refuge in the part of you who is awake"; I can see that this was the part of me that even when I was drinking knew it wasn't serving me.

"I commit myself to being mindful, to being conscious in every aspect of my life. I won't shut out parts of myself, when I'm cheering my fav baseball team, I'll try to feel the energy in my body, when I'm fighting my way through traffic, I'll try to open my heart to other drivers, when I'm craving an escape, a drink, a drug, another life, I'll try to be gentle but firm with myself, to show compassion for my own desire and resolve to stay with my sobriety.
                          "

I had been living a semi spiritual life for several years and I openly admitted to my friends that I had a foot in both camps. Spiritual life v mainstream life which included my drinking. I was completely aware that if I wanted to go to deeper AL had to go but I couldn't ever see myself taking that final step. I'm therefore forever grateful that eventually things got so bad that I had to make that choice.

"Life is a mystery, the mind is an enigma, the possibilities for spiritual growth endless, if only we are willing to explore.
                          "
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

Step 3 - make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him.

This step in accordance with AA is simply about making a decision. It's not actually an action step. There is a story that goes around AA about this step. There are 3 frogs sitting on a lily pad. 2 of the frogs decide to jump in the water. How many frogs are left on the lily pad? Most people assume 1 frog is left. But the answer is still 3. 2 of the frogs have only decided to jump in the water. It doesn't say they've jumped in the water. All's we are doing with this step is making a decision. Are we ready and willing to hand our life over to the care of God?

Many Blessings
                            Phil
                            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Thank you for this , i read the first few pages and have placed my order, looking forward to reading the rest.
                              :thanks:

Comment

Working...
                              X