religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

religion?

This is a great discssion. I would like to see it continue. It's good to hear others share their faith even if we disagree. I am a Christian, and I love my church, but more than that, I love Jesus. He changed my life. It was He who led me to this site after pleading with Him to help me with my adiction. I totally understand those of you who are disappointed in or disconnected from Christianity because of Christian behavior. I get disappointed in myself as well as other Christians. I know there are those among us as in any other types of gatherings who give us a bad wrap. We get catagorized. All Christians are not the same. The Christian life is a process of growing in the faith. This leads me to say that some Christians are retarded. They fail to grow after they receive Christ (born again). They remain babies in the faith. Jesus explained what causes this in Matthew 13:3-9 in the parable of the sower, and then He explains the parable in verses 18-23. He was teaching a large group, ie, early believers, but the same applies in the church or Christian Community today. We hear, but we don't practice what we hear.
    :heart: Eliziby :heart:

Comment

religion?

Hi Tinkerbelle,
      Well, from your very explicit one sentence question which requires either a yes or no, my answer is yes. Just recently I've posted a few Buddhist threads, and will post a few more to see if there's any interest.
      Rags

Comment

religion?

tinkerbelle.....unitarian here.

Comment

religion?

I don't believe in religion.
          I know.......you're all shocked, right? Let me explain...

I was born on the same city block with a big Baptist church. I was enrolled in the "cradle roll" as a baby.
          My brother and I went even when our parents didn't.
          I grew up hearing some wonderful stories about a God that loved me and came to earth and died on the cross so that I would never die spiritually.
          At eight years of age, I was baptized and became a member of this church. I went every Sunday and learned about Jesus and His church. I never found anything about Jesus that I didn't like....I wish I could say the same about His church...It's taken me years to understand that the reason there are problems in churches is.....people..
          Yep....human beings....US......and do you know why?
          Dust! Human nature! All by ourselves, we're a sorry lot!
          But God......He made us....He knows we are made out of dust and guess what....He loves us anyway.
          Several years ago, someone very close and dear to me said to me.."you're too religious"....Now, I don't WANT to just be religious...so I pondered what to do!
          I decided that I would stop doing anything that "looked" religious. I didn't go to church, study group or even dropped my "religious" friends. I stayed at home and prayed in private and searched my Bible for answers.
          Boy was I in for a BIG "moment". I now call it my "God stop". When He says "be still"....do it! It is because He is going to show up and teach you some things you will never get from a religion.
          This is the most important thing in my life...my relationship with God our Father through His Son Jesus Christ.
          So.... you see, I don't believe in religion or in being religious....That is not what a Christian is.
          Being a Christian is a relationship with the One True and Living God.
          Jesus died on the cross but He didn't stay dead. He is alive!
          Do you know Him?
          I love you all.
          Nancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

religion?

i dont care if you pray to the flying spaghetti monster just find something that brings you peace and hang on to it. my path is my own i take what i need and toss the rest out.

only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, the last fish has been caught will we realize we can not eat money. salve el mundo

Comment

religion?

well said mojo. pass the collection plate!

Comment

religion?

I just wanted to share a little story. Some of you are new, but I found out my Mom was diagnosed with a non-curable form of kidney cancer in August'. My Mom is 65, and was given a death sentence at 41 when diagnosed with Hodgkins disease, stage three. I was in 10th grade at the time. (I'm now 38) She has since then had colon cancer, kidney cancer, and now "bladder cancer" that spread from the kidney cancer. I will just say facts... not into being religious. My Mom PRAYS. She has been written up in medical journals as the only person who has ever survived what she has been through. The ONLY one. She was told in August she had four to six months to live. I posted a thread here called "Devasted". (under General Discussion... you can do a search if you care to read it.) My mom had just moved close to me to help with the kids... enjoy her golden years that she was told she would never see. Her Oncologist pulled me aside, and said she would be lucky to make it to April 1st. Well... we all know that April 1st is for fools, and my Mom is not one of them. She just got the news that she has been "bought at least another 15 months." But the doctors are all scratching their heads because she is doing so good and feeling so good.... OH. And she will again make another article. She is in a rare bracket that has not lost ALL of her hair through the most intensive chemotherapy you can go through. (and that takes into account the amount of sessions, etc) She is a fighter, but if you ask her, she will always tell you, it is God's strength flowing through her, not her.

When God shows up for you and miracles happen, it just rocks your world. My Mom (who is supposed to be dead) just signed up to volunteer at Mayo Clinic's new thing for cancer patient support groups titled, "Where Medicine and Miracles Meet." She went last night, and you think her story is cool? OMG. They are happening all the time now. To the point of emerging science and miracles.

I hope I am okay to share that story here. I love reading all of yours!
                Allie
                What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

religion?

Wow, what a great thread Tinkerbell!

FayeC – yes I read the three books in the first instalment of “Conversations with God”, probably about five years ago now, and I to this day I credit these books as my first step to the opening of true spirituality.

The Bible I think should not be discredited, although I think that that the message has been interpreted to the point of detriment sometimes. In all my reading, in many, many varied books, I have come across phrases in the Bible that make sense in these days and our times, again and again, in the right interpretation.

And as for the power of prayer - yes, it happens all the time, and I agree that we are seeing this more and more in these times.

What religion am I? I’m born Catholic, and that in itself has caused its limitations for me, with the huge guilt that my bloodline has been taught to feel. I do not regret this heritage though, since although my family weren’t religious, the influence still pervaded through us, and that has given me compassion for those who are led by their learned religion.

I do not consider myself religious now. Or atheist, or agnostic. Or even “humanist.” Even “spiritual” can have negative connotations. I really don’t feel that I can give myself any kind of comfortable label in these difficult times!

But I do consider myself a seeker of truth. I do consider myself able to change my beliefs as I grow to learn more. I also do know that there is a source of Light and Love that we work with every day, whatever we choose to call it – and that this source does not care we call it, because it is a part of all of us.

There is room for everyone, and every thing here. This is our future. This is where we are headed. Everyone can achieve greatness and harmony. There is nothing to be afraid of except our own beliefs; and all difficulties we are currently being faced with are only there to show us what we need to heal.

And PS… in no way does this mean that I have achieved this… man, I am RIGHT in the middle of my “stuff”!

Gem x
                  Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

religion?

Lots of great food for thought here!

Mo....you're "preaching to the choir here"....we grow our food and work to protect the land and put back more than we take. :l

Allie...thank you for a look at a miracle! Now go look in your mirror and see another one! Hug her!

And Gem....hummm "Stuff" oh yeah, I do understand that! We are not in it alone though, are we?

Thanks for sharing, everyone.

:h Nancy
                    "Be still"

Comment

religion?

More2life, Thanks for your post. My experiance was soooo.... similar to your's. Not only did He (Jesus the Christ) save my soul, but He saved my life, by leading me to this site. Most of the post shared here are a real encouragement for me to keep on keeping on. Blessings, Liz
                      :heart: Eliziby :heart:

Comment

religion?

The power of prayer... I was given phrase 'God Stop' by a lady here, 'God Stop' I was 'Gob Smacked'.... no I didn't get the easy way (which would have been a nice unexpected cheque or backhander from someone) I was given and I do mean given, out of the blue, totally unexpected, the chance of some part time evening work.... Oh wowee.. BUT, I really really needed it. I work full time, Mon to Fri as a secretary, was in real need, well not starving no, but all the same had no money and needed some to see me to the end of the month and to see me through the next month too, circumstances had changed at home... I happened to bump into a neighbour on my way out to work, not a close neighbour, no-one who knew my circumstances at that time, and would'nt possibly have guessed that I needed money, nice clothes, nice job, nice car etc.. Asked me if I knew of anyone who would like a couple of evening a week waitressing at her friends local restaurant ... just until their regular lady came back from sick leave.. approximately four weeks work, I jamp at it... honestly it was all I needed and really sorted me out for six weeks which was all I needed to sort out my finances... No God didn't GIVE me what I wanted.....He gave me what I needed to help myself....

Lx
                        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

religion?

"All God's promises are YES and AMEN!"
                          :h Nancy

Comment

religion?

Mojo.... luv you! Tell it like it is....and accept all! Rock on, GF!

Allie, your story is amazing! You are lucky to have the time with your mom that you do now. Enjoy each and every moment....

As I do believe in a "God", I also thank the Lord for the many, many tireless hours spent by our saviours on Earth. The scientists- who spend umpteen hours in their labs, away from their families and children.... making 'cures' for all of us to live long and lovely lives.

A very good friend of mine is a cancer researcher, who spends probably more hours away from his family than he should, for the sake of others. I think we should, at this time, give thanks and reflect on ALL those who devote their lives to others...

Life is truly amazing from both the present and the past.... Give thanks to all that give to you!

Skoots
                            "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                            X