Sharing Faith In Healing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi Everybody!! Thank you all for sharing! Southernbelle47, your prayer yesterday touched me so much, I cried with joy. What a wonderful blessing you have asked G-d to give us!!! I will carry that thought with me for days -- it gave me great strength!

Hi, Imagine, so sorry that it took me so long to get back to you!! Both Lucky and Southernbelle47 are right. We leave the o out of G-d out of respect and Honor to Him, "whose name is too great to speak or write", and yes, it is from the Jewish side of my religion (I am a Christian Jew). But I should mention that we do speak the word G-d, though it is written this way. Often we use the word Adonai instead, which means Lord. However, there are many names for G-d. His first was justice (this is the one not spoken or written). But, very quickly he was also known as HASHEM G-d (the G-d of mercy). It is not the word G-d that cannot be spoken, but His great and powerful Name of justice. I should also mention many Christians do speak the Christian translation (known as Y-A-W-E-E). Hope this helps.

MM
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Yes, and thank you all for the answers.

It brings me yet to another question though

I am a christian and believe in the trinity I believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost and that they are one.

By any name G-d, Jesu-s, The Wo-d, The great I Am, Father, Son you are refering to the same One. So why can you spell out one and not the other

For instance you can spell out Jesus but not G-d.

It's very hard to get out sentiment through a forum such as this.....please know that I am asking with the utmost respect. I am just trying to understand

Thank you for your shared prayers!

:l
      Rachele
      :h :h :h :h

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi everybody, [b]my shared faith in healing today is based on Penitence and attitude In the Jewish faith, the New Year is in October and is called Rosh Hashanah. In the months leading up to Rosh Hashanah, one is supposed to reflect on the horrible things the Israelites did against G-d that made Him turn from them, then we must look into our own soul to determine anything that we may have done that may be similar, determine how we are going to change, and then announce that in a New Covenant between ourselves and G-d on Rosh Hashanah (in private -- it is not shared, though one may seek counsel from the Rabbi or Elders to prepare). Then after the service, everyone goes to a flowing river where they through in a rock or a piece of bread for each commitment to symbolize that they are throwing away their sin as a symbol of their New Covenant with G-d. Then a few days later on Yom Kippur you fast and repent to show faith that you really intend to change.

Well, this year I threw away five stones (or past sins). One of them was a commitment to G-d to Honor My Mother And Father more in line with what is expected in my faith. Don't get me wrong, I have a really wonderful relationship with my parents, but until this year, I really would lose my temper alot. Between my Mother's manipulative, control everything personality coupled with concommitant sulking and self-pity if it didn't work, and my father's nastiness when he goes over the top in his drunkeness, they can be REALLY hard to take. But during one of the services this past year, the Rabbi said that if a parent is doing something wrong, it is not proper to tell them off, but instead, you're supposed to prostrate yourself before G-d and pray for him to change them and guard you. Quite frankly, at first I thought that they were nuts! But, I am always willing to try. So, I told my parents what I was doing; at times throughout the year as I was preparing myself for Rosh Hashanah. I would even tell them that I was never going to get to Heaven because I'll never be able to make it on this Honor Mother and Father thing. Honestly, that struck a cord in them and they have been trying a lot harder. And you know, it has changed my life mainly because it has changed my attitude.

I had the most wonderful Thanksgiving. My parents were supposed to come at three in the afternoon. My mother called the night before and said they were coming at nine am. This was because my mother didn't want to watch Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade alone and my father wanted to teach my son how to make his version of pumpkin pie. I can honestly say that in the past that would have sent me for a loop! I could just see my mother trying to run my kitchen. I can pumpkin for my pies, and my father didn't want to use it. Plus, he is sick, he has to smoke outside, and he drinks all day. But, I had such a positive attitude it didn't even bother me. I love my mom, I enjoy her company (when she is not controlling), so why shouldn't I watch the parade with her -- so what if she wants to take over my kitchen, that would be less work for me!! And we had a great time!! My father didn't use my pumpkin, but he and my son had a great time, an experience and opportunity that he may never have again (my dad is sick). And my Dad drank a lot less than normal. He said he has cut way back because he was inspired by me! Go figure. Even the unexpected couple from the Synagogue who needed a place to dine did not send me through a loop but was met with enthusiasm in my heart. Later, I reflected on how such a change in my heart could happen when the environmental circumstances were the same. You know, I am certain that it was an attitude change in me brought about by the will of G-d in answer to my prayer.

My shared Prayer
        Dear Father in Heaven, may you bring about great joy to all here in this forum who seek your help. May you answer our prayers by inciting positive changes in us that please you , are easy for us, and give us peace. Amen

Have a great day!!
        MM

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi MM,

I am so blessed to read your post about the change in your parents because of the change in your attitude.
          I have heard that "the only time you can "change" someone else is if they are in diapers"!

I too had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my son and his family and I think it was because my attitude was more possitive and I was determended that NOTHING was going to upset me. Don't get me wrong...there were some things that I could have let bother me, like ordering out food instead of cooking, but I thought..."why not try it?" It was great (Cracker Barrel)
          and everyone was happy and no big mess to clean up! It gave me more time to be with my grand-daughters and make happy memories. I'm sure I got on my son's and daughter-in-love's nerves some but they never let it show.
          What a gift to me and to them.
          That is what it is all about , isn't it?
          Love and sharing and time well spent.

I think that one of the most important things we can do as we grow older is to "keep our clay moist"! Be flexiable and summit to the Potter as He molds us.

Blessing to you and all who come here.

Nancy:h
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Dear Imagine, I am never insulted by questions. Since I believe everyone has to find their own way to G-d, I believe it is good to question and learn from each other, as it gives us all strength.

Relative to the name of G-d, I am not a scholar in this matter, but I will do my best to answer it. There are several reasons. First, it is important to keep in mind that there are many names of G-d, and many of them are spoken and written. It is only the four (Hebrew) letters of His name that are never pronounced as it is spelled. The four letter name means that G-d is infinite and timeless. In prayer, this name is pronounced as either Adonai to symbolize that G-d is the Master of All, or, an alternative name used in prayer is Hashem, "the Name" signifies his Mercy. There is also the name Elohim (G-d most High). The four letter name of G-d, which means infinite and timeless are also those for the words "He was, is, and will be". Thus, the Fourth priniciple of Faith (Judaism) is that "God is the very first and the very last". The concept is that everything else in the Universe is created. So it is only this name that cannot be spelled or spoken. There are many other names of G-d that may be used freely (Even G-d is spoken, just not written).

Relative to Yeshua (Jesus) and the Ruach Hakodesh (Holy Spirit), we too, as Christian Jews believe in the Trinity. But I believe both religions concur that each has a separate function. Jesus was sent by G-d to teach us, guide us, and show us what G-d wanted us to do (Jesus is the light). Because he stepped into man's body, experienced what we have experienced, and pleased the Father in doing so, G-d assigned him to be King and Judge over our world, in part, because he would better understand our motives and actions having experienced them first hand. The Holy Spirit was breathed into us so that G-d could live within every man, protect our borrowed souls, and provide us strength and peace to endure and flourish. That part of Jesus and the Holy Spirit that are part of the four letter word of G-d would also not be spoken or written either. But like the other names of G-d, Jesus and the Holy Spirit do have names that can be spoken.

I should mention, again, that I am not a scholar, a rabbi, or a priest. I am only sharing with you what I have learned. I also think that it is important to say that I am never offended by someone who does not leave out the o in G-d. One thing that is very clear is that G-d, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost all look to the intent of the heart. The love and goodness we have inside of us. That can never be judged by the way we spell or speak a name; at least that is my opinion.

Hope this helps to clarify our beliefs. But again, I respect anyone and everyone who seeks G-d, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I don't think that there is only one way to get to Him, it is the process of trying with a pure intent that matters -- just my thoughts

MM

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Dear Southernbelle47, I am so glad you had a great Thanksgiving. Thank you again for your shared thoughts, support, and prayers.

MM

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi everybody. My shared faith in healing today is based on my duty to Honor my parents under G-d's law vs. my duty to love them, as Jeshua (Jesus) indicated that the requirement to love is the greatest commandment of all As you may already know from the daily thread, I really had a difficult time with my parents yesterday. I love them so very much, but sometimes their behavior is so irrational that they family becomes clinically disfunctional. When this happens, my family and I are in a quandry; I, often in anguish, become what I consider to be disrespectful of my parents -- because of my proximity and my relationship with them, their actions drag my family and I right into their disfunction.

First, I should state that there is no question that I love my parents deeply, with all my heart. There is no question in my parents, and they make it clear that they never doubt it. In fact, they keep telling me that they understand that I actually get upset with them because I love them so much and they are either asking me irrationally to do something that I cannot do, or they doing something that could hurt them or others. There is no question in my mind, or theirs, that I am meeting Jesus' instructions regarding love of my parents. The issue is whether the emotions I feel and express as a result of my love for them is in conflict with the Commandment to Honor, and if there is a conflict, which one supercedes. I have been working very hard through G-d to address this issue; to learn some way to adhere to G-d's law to Honor them, and yet, to deal effectively with their outrageous conduct. So, the JD in me (Doctor of Jurisprudence) sent me to the laws and the language of G-d to try to find some answers.

According to Webster's International Dictionary (my copy is very old), the Honor as defined in G-d's Commandments is:

"Honor" - To show regard or appreication for: pay tribute to: EXALT, PRAISE (your father and your mother)" Id. citing Exodus 20:12

To break it down even further - tribute is defined as: "something given or contributed voluntarily as dur or deserved . . . manifesting respect, allegiance, gratitude, or affection" Id. Respect means "giving attion to: consideration".Id. Exalt means "Raise up; put in an eminent position: Elevate" Id.. And Praise means "to value or prize. Id.

But, perhaps the best analogy of how I should conduct myself comes from Black's law dictionary. According to Black's Law Dictionary (again, mine is really old). The word Honor as used in this regard is considered "Office of honor. As used in consitutional or statutory provisions, this term denotes a public office of considerable dignity and importance, to which important public trusts or interests are confided, but which is not compensated by any salary or fees, being thus contrasted with an "office of profit"" (Black's Law Dictionary). In reality, since G-d is the preface of modern law, it is in this manner that we are to Honor our parents. In terms of the Webster Dictionary definition, I do all of these things. I hold them up very high, I exalt them in public, I tell them I love them all the time and how important they are to me. But from now on, when my emotions run high, I will remember that they also hold an offical position in G-d's Court under his commandments. And I will attempt to address the issues with them as I would a court official not performing the duties of his office (which as you may know must be done firmly but with great respect and deference). I will try this and see how it goes.

My shared prayer of the day
                Dear G-d, will you please grant me and others like me who are trying to find solutions, the strength, the will, and effability to deal with my parent's irrationality in accordance with G-d's laws, His Will, and accomplish peace with them through His Direction and Mercy. Amen

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

I agree MM. We are called to respect the "Office" even as we come to understand that as humans, "we are all but dust".

I still remember the time in my life when I got the first peep at the fact that my parents didn't know all, do all, be all....

They (my parents) have both been gone for years.
                  I've finally come to the place where I forgive them for being "but dust"... After all who am I to question The One who made all of us! He DID choose dust!

I hope and pray that there will be Peace in your family and in all of ours.

:l Nancy

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Nancy:

Thank you so much for your prayers.

Fondly,
                    Monica

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi everybody. My Shared Faith In Healing Today is about our valor in our struggles and it involves a chassidic tale that inspired me about our efforts. This morning I was studying the Haftaras Nasso (Judges 13:2-25) that talks about how Monoah's wife was instructed to prepare for the birth of Samson. In explanation of the significance of this passage, it is pointed out how this humble, barren wife "brought triumph to her downtrodden people" because they were a righteous, but simple couple (The Haftorah, Stone Edition, Art Scroll, page 1181-1182, sub-script). In making its point of why the angel wanted her to begin preparing for the child while baron, the sages used a chassidic tale to explain:

"Young parents asked a tzaddik for guidance on how to raise their newborn infant. He told them that they were a year too late, the process of child-rearing involves parent-rearing, as well, for only by seeking self-perfection can parents and teachers do justice for their children" Id. @ 1182.

I was really inspired by this passage and it gave me a wonderful feeling about all of us. Everyone on this forum appears to be loving, caring, hardworking people. But it goes further, the people here are really special because we face the fact that we have a problem, and we continually try to solve that problem. We may all go about it differently, but as we are, in part, seeking self-perfection through resolution of this problem, as pointed out by the tzaddik in the chassidic tale, it is valliant in G-d's eyes that we look into ourselves and keep trying to overcome our imperfection; and He would be pleased by our efforts.

I think that each of us can be very hard on ourselves as we progress on an up-and-downward slope (hopefully more up than down). But, often I think we overlook how special it is that we keep trying!

My shared prayer of the day
                      My G-d help those of us who are trying to battle our addictions, whatever they may be; may you please give us strength, success, peace, a good feeling for our efforts. Amen.

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Thank you MM.

I agree........

We are on this "journey" of life together.
                        It IS a journey.....we have not arrived yet.
                        When we fall down, it's good to have friends to help us up and to continue on our journey.

We will arrive one day.........just not in THIS life!

My prayer for today is;
                        Father , bless the friends on this journey. Let us love and accept each other and be ready with a kind word when needed.
                        In the Jesus' name....amen

:h Nancy

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Southernbelle47, thanks for such a wonderful prayer and beautiful sentiments. I agree with you whole-heartedly! MM

Today my Shared Faith In Healing is about concentrating on staying in control and comes from the Lessons of King Lemuel's Mother (Proverbs 31). As I was searching today for some inspiration, I stumbled on Proverbs 31 and it really got me thinking! One area that kept calling me back was vs.4-6:

"Kings and leaders should not get drunk or even want to drink. Dinking makes you forget your responsibilities, and you mistreat the poor. Beer and wine are only for the dying or for those who have lost all hope". Proverbs 31: 4-6.

While I do not personally believe that the Bible dictates abstinence as is evidenced by many of the Biblical Role models (though I respect those who do), I do find that now that I am paying attention, that G-d sends a resounding message throughout the Scriptures that if you want to drink it is important to stay in control. I keep coming back to these passages when I find them because gravitating to them is changing my life in a wonderful way, but I find that I need to keep reminding myself of the importance of this principle; the Scriptures help me to do so.

We are all leaders of some type in this world. Whether we are Officials, or like myself, influencing Officials for the benefit of those whom they represent, or a parent raising a child -- or a volunteer for something dear to our hearts -- we are all in a position to influence others in this World. And with few exceptions, I doubt that anyone would believe that they make better decisions when they are drunk. On occasion, most of us have probably sought solace in our drinks so that we wouldn't even have to think about our overburdening responsibilities. This particular passage means a lot to me because I have been in a situation in my life on more than one occasion when things were so bad that I just did not feel that there was any hope -- and once I had started drinking, it was all too easy to console my hopelessness in the lost memories of a drunken stooper.

But now, thanks to so many of you on this forum, I have found alternative ways to react to stress and problems. I have learned how to evaluate my habits and move forward in a more positive way, with an overriding goal to always stay in control! Not only will I be a more effective leader but a better person as well.

My shared prayer
                          May G-d show all of us the way to stay in control, may we lose the desire to be out of control, and may he make that path an easy one. Amen

MM

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

AMEN.

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi Everybody! My Shared Faith In Healing today is focused on drinking during celebrations with G-d's blessings It was perhaps because all of us here have been sharing our concerns about the amount of alcohol we will consume during the holidays, that last night as I was preparing for Shabbot (Sabboth), the words of celebration and drinking in the Erev Shabbot service (a private service within the home the evening before the Sabboth) sent me a resounding message. In some Jewish sects (and certainly in Messianic Judaism), the Sabboth is considered a festive celebration and is compared to "welcoming forth the bride" (L'Cha Doedee). There are blessings of the bread and the wine. And in many households the wine flows. Indeed, one of the wisest Kings, King Solomon, when asked "What is the best thing to do in the short life that G-d has given us?" He responded, "I think we should enjoy eating, drinking, and working hard. This is what G-d intends for us to do." (Ecclesiastes 5:18, Contemporary Version*). And certainly studying King Solomon's life, it is clear that he drank his share of wine. Eating and drinking wine on many festive occasions is traditional in Jewish life (in some sects), as well as Christian life (some sects). So, I found myself searching for answers -- and yes, though I sound like a broken record, it comes back to the control issue. Within the same Biblical Book of Ecclesiastes, King Solomon explains when it is that G-d becomes displeased in our worship (and celebrations are part of that), wherein he states: "G-d doesn't like fools" (Ecclesiastes 5:4). It's that simple. And in Chapter 5, King Solomon explains a few examples that make people look foolish to G-d; talking too much, talking irrationally or senselessly, making commitments we don't keep -- all examples in keeping with what happens when we get out of control with our drinking.

So, how do we control ourselves? I have really pondered on this alot. One of the things that I have found that really helps me -- and I believe is a real gift from G-d -- is listening to my body. It isn't easy and takes training, but I think it is an important part of moderation drinking. I ask myself, if the studies show that wine is good for us, why do we feel sick sometimes from it; dizzy, lightheaded, some people even get really sick the next day? And I believe that the answer is that we get sick because our body has had enough and it's more than it can healthfully absorb. It's like when we eat too much candy as a child. It is a gift from G-d that gives us the choice to protect ourselves. So, I have begun listening to my body and stopping when I start feeling lightheaded or giddy. I tell myself that I will come back and drink later when I don't feel that way. And on those days that I do that it is really wonderful. It is my long-term commitment to try to always do it that way. I think that it is a true gift that G-d gave us in wine, but I also think that G-d gave us a gift that our bodies can tell us when it is no longer a good thing, as he is giving us a choice to enjoy and at the same time, protect ourselves.

My Shared Prayer
                              May everyone who wishes to share from the fruit of the vine learn the wisdom of listening to the messages you send to us when it is no longer safe for us to continue to drink. Amen

*I have eight different types of Bibles -- I usually compare them and use the best reference that depicts accuracy in all of them. Please keep in mind that I am not a theological scholar and may not always choose the best quote. But I pray that G-d sends the best message to all of us!

Have a great day!!
                              MM

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

MM.........thank you for sharing this.
                                I agree that in the beginning (Gen.) He did plan on everything He made to be good for us. That was before sin came into the world by man's free will to choose. When man(woman) chose, then it became a whole different story....as you know!
                                I too believe that a small amount of wine is ok...if not why would Jesus have turned water to wine at the wedding?
                                In a "perfect" world, I don't think we would have to even think about limiting anything.....food, drink,etc. It would be how we are! Perfect!
                                So why did He make us so that we would be able to choose, knowing that we would not choose well?
                                I think He gave us a "free will" to choose because He wants us to choose to have a relationship with Him. He already knew how Adam and Eve would choose. As He walked throught the garden that He gave them, He asked "why are you hiding"? A & E said "because we're naked"!! He said "who told you that you are naked?" HE already knew the answer to that and all questions but... HE provided the FIRST blood sacrifice of a small animal , shed it's blood(1st picture of His son Jesus) and made "a covering for their sin"...
                                I believe it is through this "Gift" of Jesus that He provided THE WAY for us to come to Him and have a relationship with Him that is like no other.
                                When we accept the Gift of Jesus into our lives it opens all doors to our Father.

My prayer for today is that everyone who reads this will accept The Gift our Father offers to us all.
                                Jesus said "I stand at the door (of your heart) and knock.....ANYONE who opens the door, I will come in"..
                                Welcome Jesus.......come in today.....

:h Nancy

Comment

Working...
                                X