Sharing Faith In Healing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Faith In Healing

My Shared Faith In Healing Involves Finding Hope In Times Of Trouble . As I have been catching up on the threads, I see so much beauty shining through so much sorrow and sadness. Many here on the forum have had devastating tragedies that have brought us to our knees, some of us are dealing with personal tragedies in our life right now. It is no wonder that we find ourselves on a forum to deal with a drinking problem.

While I am grateful to G-d for the strength to improve, with serious challenges facing me right now, I wonder if I will be able to hang on, especially after learning that my husband may have a serious medical problem. When I prayed for direction, I found this passage and it gave me comfort, so I would like to share it with you.

"G-d will bless you if you don't give up when your faith is being tested. He will reward you with a glorious life juast as he rewards everyone who loves him" (James 1: 12, Contemporary Bible Version).

My Shared Prayer
    Dear G-d, please look into our hearts and see our love, our hope that you will come and help us. Please take care of us and grant us your blessings. Amen
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

For today.....
      :h Nancy
      He will uphold you

When I first committed my life to God, I wanted him to deliver me from all my fears and anxieties--all the bondages in my life that were crippling my life. I knew he could, and I knew he wanted to. I was ready for God to zap away all my fears.
      "Lord!" I would plea, "take away this fear!"
      I sat. I waited. Nothing. The fear was still there. I continued to question, "God, why won't you help me?"
      I pressed on, seeking that one-time, spiritual lightening bolt from heaven that would forever free me, but there was none. Only painful silence.
      I prayed for peace, bound some demons, and was anointed with oil. I did it all. But that supernatural fire from heaven that was supposed to burn away all my problems never came.
      Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe in prayer (1 John 5:14-15), authority over the enemy (Mark 16:17), and elders anointing and praying for the sick (James 5:14). But, my goal was a quick, instant, microwave deliverance. I wanted an escape. But, I never got it.
      A book by Catherine Marshall called "Meeting God at Every Turn" has this one section where Catherine talks about how God does not "whittle away" our problems until they are gone. Rather, he gives us the strength and resources we need to overcome them.
      God's plan is not to take away our fears and anxiety. God's plan is to give us the ability to conquer them, the strength to rise above those things that bind us and hold us back. That is the difference. Here's God's promise to help you be an overcomer:
      "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Isaiah 41:10).
      Prayer: I know you want to help me, to free me, and to give me peace. Give me the strength I need to rest in your love and trust your timing. Uphold me with your righteous right hand, and carry me through the valley for fear and anxiety to the Promised Land of Peace.
      Blessings!
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Nancy, that was beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing!!! That passage in Isaiah is one of my favorates!! I do love those moments when I have peace during troubling times, as I really feel that I have then accomplished something.

I do have some good news. My husband's "lump" appears to be a false alarm.

I love you for sharing. Take care and have a blessed day.

Monica

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Thats great news!

Thank you Father!
          Nancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

hi Mighty mouse

i am a committed christian and i wont go into the struggle personally that I have experienced with alcohol right now. However what i have found helps is my belief that I dont walk this journey alone.
            I am not going to lecture on religion either but personally i have found that by having a drink problem it has in a profound way istrengthened my faith...sounds nuts i know!!

The very thing I am ashamed of ie alcohol bingeing/abuse has helped shape who i am(which i truly believe is a good enough person for God with whom I have a personal relationship...boy that sounds nutty to some people i,m sure.

i read recently and i quote (James hillman)Depth of character never comes out of our successes but only out of our inferiorities and failures.this he suggests gives us character.

i personally have accepted my inability to master this addiction and have to on a daily basis ask God to help me along my spiritual journey with all the setbacks and sufferings which I believe has given me a new depth to my character.

I decided not to take to the therapists coach but to turn to God and close friends and get more involved in church life. Whilst i cant profess a healing as such I feel more at peace as i journey on with my life with its joys and humiliations.

My own priests have been Benedictine monks and i have read about the rule they follow and observed the effect on people who have tried to engage in the discipline.

In a simple form on waking I read a little spiritual stuff to start the day...I subscribe to A English bible alive booklet t giving a daily thought for the day related to the gospel for that day...sometimes its powerful ,other days its dry but what i have learnt is when i dont stick to the discipline of prayer to start the day i soon get off track.

i need to repeat this in the evening before my temptation to drink time...any time from 8pm onwards!!

Dont know if any of you have read the column from the Canadian Ronald Rolheiser..he writes in english catholic paper The Catholic Herald.

i like his wisdom..last month he captured my imagination by stating
            "we become emotionally better, steadier, less self obsessed, less a slave to our own restlessness when we engage in church life"

i was relieved to relate to his article which went on to talk about how our private lives are so often " a chaotic whirl , racked with disorientation, depression , restlessness and infinite obsessions"...sounds like me on a bad day .

He suggests that a fuller public life including church life , life with family and community draws us beyond ourselves into the lives of others , giving us a certain rhythm and connecting us with resources beyond our limitations.

i certainly feel less self obsessed when i am engaging in church life,

I continue to live in hope that my alcohol addiction will subside however I have a sneaky feeling this is my lifelong struggle and forms the strong need i have to continue my journey in faith.

I am so glad i have the gift of faith as i am sure the road i travel would be unbearable to me without the knowledge that God loves me even when i have my setbacks .

I personally believe i wouldnt be much use to many of my family and friends who I have been priveleged to share their inner selves with If I hadnt had a few knocks along the way and realised i hadnt "arrived" in this life.

I have been lucky enough to have friends who have invited me to share some of their struggles...sometimes it has been said that solving one,s inner problems is dependent upon outside relationships.

In a way isnt that some of the success of this site...sharing our problems ,sharing strategies that have helped, getting outside self obsession and reaching out to others.

sorry to ramble on..just wanted to share that faith has helped me and discipline of spiritual reading twice daily...of course I havent cracked the drink problem but i feel peaceful because i am trying and I dont walk alone.

Take care......Cassy

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

hi Mighty mouse

i am a committed christian and i wont go into the struggle personally that I have experienced with alcohol right now. However what i have found helps is my belief that I dont walk this journey alone.
              I am not going to lecture on religion either but personally i have found that by having a drink problem it has in a profound way istrengthened my faith...sounds nuts i know!!

The very thing I am ashamed of ie alcohol bingeing/abuse has helped shape who i am(which i truly believe is a good enough person for God with whom I have a personal relationship...boy that sounds nutty to some people i,m sure.

i read recently and i quote (James hillman)Depth of character never comes out of our successes but only out of our inferiorities and failures.this he suggests gives us character.

i personally have accepted my inability to master this addiction and have to on a daily basis ask God to help me along my spiritual journey with all the setbacks and sufferings which I believe has given me a new depth to my character.

I decided not to take to the therapists coach but to turn to God and close friends and get more involved in church life. Whilst i cant profess a healing as such I feel more at peace as i journey on with my life with its joys and humiliations.

My own priests have been Benedictine monks and i have read about the rule they follow and observed the effect on people who have tried to engage in the discipline.

In a simple form on waking I read a little spiritual stuff to start the day...I subscribe to A English bible alive booklet t giving a daily thought for the day related to the gospel for that day...sometimes its powerful ,other days its dry but what i have learnt is when i dont stick to the discipline of prayer to start the day i soon get off track.

i need to repeat this in the evening before my temptation to drink time...any time from 8pm onwards!!

Dont know if any of you have read the column from the Canadian Ronald Rolheiser..he writes in english catholic paper The Catholic Herald.

i like his wisdom..last month he captured my imagination by stating
              "we become emotionally better, steadier, less self obsessed, less a slave to our own restlessness when we engage in church life"

i was relieved to relate to his article which went on to talk about how our private lives are so often " a chaotic whirl , racked with disorientation, depression , restlessness and infinite obsessions"...sounds like me on a bad day .

He suggests that a fuller public life including church life , life with family and community draws us beyond ourselves into the lives of others , giving us a certain rhythm and connecting us with resources beyond our limitations.

i certainly feel less self obsessed when i am engaging in church life,

I continue to live in hope that my alcohol addiction will subside however I have a sneaky feeling this is my lifelong struggle and forms the strong need i have to continue my journey in faith.

I am so glad i have the gift of faith as i am sure the road i travel would be unbearable to me without the knowledge that God loves me even when i have my setbacks .

I personally believe i wouldnt be much use to many of my family and friends who I have been priveleged to share their inner selves with If I hadnt had a few knocks along the way and realised i hadnt "arrived" in this life.

I have been lucky enough to have friends who have invited me to share some of their struggles...sometimes it has been said that solving one,s inner problems is dependent upon outside relationships.

In a way isnt that some of the success of this site...sharing our problems ,sharing strategies that have helped, getting outside self obsession and reaching out to others.

sorry to ramble on..just wanted to share that faith has helped me and discipline of spiritual reading twice daily...of course I havent cracked the drink problem but i feel peaceful because i am trying and I dont walk alone.

Take care......Cassy

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Nancy, thank you for your continued support.

Cassy, I don't think that you are nuts or crazy. What you say makes a lot of sense. I believe that anyone who spends their time searching for a relationship with G-d is a very special person. You and I share some of the same beliefs. I too wake up to G-d in the morning and close with Him in my heart every night. I started out in this World a Lutheran, studied different religions in college and later attended an Episopol Church. I finally became a Christian Jew after reading the contemporary Bible cover-to-cover (it is a wonderful source because it reads like a novel). Now I study nine Bibles, which is helpful because where they all agree you figure that portion must be right! But who knows. I, too, believe in fellowship with other believers. We actually spend all day at the Synagogue on Saturdays, and on other days attend home groups, visit the sick, donate time to helping the poor and imprisoned. Like you, all of these things help me to realize how lucky I am to have a relationship with G-d.

The English Alive Bible Booklet with daily inspirationals sounds terrific. It would be wonderful if you shared them on this forum when you find ones that help you.

Cassy, thank you so much for sharing. It is truly an inspiration for me. I think you are a wonderful, brave person, and I pray that G-d helps you find the peace that you are looking for!

Monica

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

My Shared Faith In Healing Today is Focused on Finding A Relationship With G-d Through Hardship One of my favorate Books of the Bilble is James. James, the brother of Jesus, not only was dedicated to his beliefs, but knew him as family. The Book of James is also one of the most gentle Books of the New Covenant (New Testament). When one of my businesses collapsed a few years ago, I searched for answers and found peace in the book of James:

"You know you learn to endure by having your faith tested . . . any who are rich should be glad when G-d makes them humble . . . G-d opposes everyone who is proud, but he is kind to everyone who is humble" (James 1:3, 10 and 4:6 Contemporary version). So, I found that even though I had felt very close to G-d all my life, I truly saw him in a way I had never seen him before when trouble came to my door. How much greater my relationship!

During my troubles I became a heavy drinker, as it helped me to deal with the pain, and kept my senses dull so that I could deal with the daily barage of disasters. Finally, after several years of clawing my way back, I was left with a habit that was difficult to break. Finally, recognizing I needed help I came to this forum. Throughout my recovery process, I continued to reach to G-d for answers, for strength to not want to drink excessively. Many of the passages discussed the importance of staying in control when drinking. But, perhaps the greatest advice that made me determined to get control came through I Corinthians:

"Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from G-d? You are not your own, you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor G-d with your body." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Bible New International Version).

I reflected on this for some time. And when I had drank too much, I would think to myself how embarrassed I would be if the Holy Spirit wanted to use my body for G-d's purpose at that moment. It gave me the impetus to truly want to get control.

My Shared Prayer
                  Dear G-d, please look down to all of us who are looking to you to provide us the strength to deal with our alcohol abuse. Please help us to find the strength to please you in this regard and please make the path an easy one. Amen

************************************************** *************
                  Please note, this forum may be moving to "What I Believe".

Comment

Working...
                  X