Addiction and Grace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addiction and Grace

I'm re-reading this book by Dr Gerald May. Its really quite good - written back in 88 and talks about the key factors of identifying and dealing with it from a spiritual viewpoint. He not only talks about drugs and al but goes into all of the other things (addictions) we do which separate us from God even if just for moments.

We need something which will help cause a paradigm shift in the heart and mind when under an addiction. Dr May points out that we have multiple addictions and some we'll be able to deal with and others not - take the most disruptive first obviously.

If you want to address addiction and understand it better from the spiritual side this might be the book for you.

Some quotes for today:

"If we do not fill our minds with guilt and self-recriminations, we will recognize our incompleteness as a kind of spaciousness into which we can welcome the flow of grace. We can think of our inadequacies as terrible defects, if we want, and hate ourselves. But we can also think of them affirmatively, as doorways through which the power of grace can enter our lives. Then we may begin to appreciate our inherent, God-given lovableness."

I am not being flippant when I say that all of us suffer from addiction. Nor am I reducing the meaning of addiction. I mean in all truth that the psychological, neurological, and spiritual dynamics of full-fledged addiction are actively at work within every human being...

"We are all addicts in every sense of the word. Moreover, our addictions are our own worst enemies. They enslave us with chains that are of our own making, yet paradoxically are virtually beyond our control.

"Addiction also makes idolaters of us all, because it forces us to worship these objects of attachment, thereby preventing us from truly, freely loving God and one another...

"Yet still, in another paradox, our addictions can lead us to a deep appreciation of grace. They can bring us to our knees."

Addiction and Grace

Hey, Quitin Time! This book sounds really great and I'm so glad you are reading it and getting so much out of it. What is the name of the book? I would like to read it, too. Thanks for sharing and I wish you well. Love, Vicki
    I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
    but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Addiction and Grace

Thanks Quittin, I will definitely get this book.
      Day 1 again 11/5/19
      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Addiction and Grace

Yes I know what my addictions are....will I ever be shut of them.
        The really big ones Alcohol and Tranqualisers got the Boot Many years ago.
        But others took there place or got stronger....Gigs, and Lustful Looking,are two that I enjoy
        but feel the guilt...so hard to let them go.
        I heard a good slogan One time...it helps if I use it.
        God ,If I cant have what I want,please help me to want what I have.

Comment

Addiction and Grace

I read this book several years ago and it really stuck with me. My take away was that grace slips in exactly where the addiction resided and heals us IF WE LET IT! I love the concept.

Comment

Working...
          X