Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A million little Pieces by James Frey

Hi, Hippie!!,

Actually, No. Do not burn down HWood and all they stand for because that is so much fun.

No, burn down the hype, the image, the meglo mania.

Hollywood and their stars ( be it Hollywood, Bollywood, OrlandoWood, wherever ), it does not matter.

Celebs are just a small univerise of us. They are no more responsible for what gets them than we are.
    Let us use them to our advanrage to take the message across.

It does not matter where you are born, what religion you are, what socio-economic group you are from, you might be a "drunk." Through no fault of your own. However, you if you keep up your drunkeness, IT IS THROUGH YOUR OWN FAULT.

OMG, how difficult is that?? We may not be responsible for our heritage but we must " BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR ACTIONS."

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I listened to it as well in audio CD. When I went into listening to this I understood that a lot of it was not a true account of this man's life. Based on that I also listened to it understandng that this is also a place I could end up and don't want to end up.

True or not it was a real eye opener for me.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Another good read...

...whether it's true or not. The author is from my city (well, the suburb next to mine, and actually the suburb where Obama is speaking on Thursday).

Comment

In "A million little pieces" the mentions of the tao completely inspired me.... I also read the second book of his "My Friend Leonard" but was very dissapointed.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I thought the book was ok. Not a knockout, but ok.
            I am always suspicious of celeb books - wondering if they are doing it for money or not. Much prefer real biography, i.e. real stories of people who have made meaningful contributions to society other than being on a screen. Not that celebs can't have stories we can relate to, but I just prefer a broader influence.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
            AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

I read A Million Little Pieces when it first came out before I had heard all the criticism about it and I enjoyed all of this book. I have also been to a 12 step treatment centre and compleatly ' got' where he was coming from with the lack of acceptance that there could possibly be another way to be sober. A great read, I dont care about exagerations or otherwise.

Comment

Oprah had pushed that book on her book club.......She then recanted, that the story was'nt true. Had another show with the guy that wrote it on, and he confessed that it was'nt true. But hay.....it's a hell of a story ! Ha! Tony
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Finally got round to reading this and I couldnt put it down, Loved loved loved this book!
                  I couldn't care less if it was fact or fiction. I could relate to so many of the thoughts and feelings of the main character and found myself caring so much that he stayed sober, here is one of his powerful insights.......

?Addiction is a decision. An individual wants something, whatever that something is, and makes a desicion to get it. Once they have it, they make a decision to take it. If they take it too often, that process of decision making gets out of control, and if it gets far out of control, it becomes an addiction. At that point the decision is a difficult one to make, but it is still a decision. Do I or don't I. Am I going to take or am I not going to waste my life or am I going to say no and try and stay sober and be a decent person. It is a decision. Each and every time. A decision. String enough of those decisions together and you set a course and you set a standard of living. Addict or human. Genetics do not make that call. They are just an excuse. They allow people to say it wasn't my fault I am genetically predisposed. It wasn't my fault I was programmed from day one. It wasn't my fault I didn't have any say in the matter. Bullshit. Fuck that bullshit. There is always a decision. Take responsibility for it. Addict or human. It's a fucking decision. Each and every time.?
                  "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                  AF - JAN 1st 2010
                  NF - May 1996

Comment

I am always a bit about the notion that a genetic pre-disposition for something automatically means someone is not taking responsibility. I just don't get that. I'm sure there are people who do NOT take responsibility for whatever hand they are dealt. But others do. Taking responsibility or not doesn't change the genetic facts of the situation.

I haven't read the book and am not commenting on the book - only on the idea that genetic realities must be ignored (or something!!) in order for people to take responsibility for their lives.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG - I understand what you mean. I think regardless of the genetics, once you are in the depth of addiction it doesn't reallt matter how you got there, it's about getting out. Whether we become addicts because of our genetic make up or through events in our lives we still all have to make that same decision whether to carry on or stop. At that point it's a choice about taking responsibility and deciding whether do I or don't I.

Thank God we said "I do"!
                      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                      AF - JAN 1st 2010
                      NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
                      X