AA Big Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA Big Book

I have always rebelled against anything or anyone telling me "the way" to do anything. I've been to a couple AA meetings years ago, before I had developed a serious drinking problem (I went with a friend, as a visitor). As far as I could tell, it was a cult and all the members were mostly brainwashed. My rebellious side made me go get drunk after each meeting. That was years ago.

Years later, after my little drinking problem devoped into a full-fledged one, I looked into AA more closely. I did extensive research, and my conclusion is the same. AA is a cult and its adherents are mostly brainwashed.

There are no statistics whatsoever that show good long-term results from AA and the 12-step programme (only anectodal "evidence"). In fact, statistics available about recovery rates from rehab programmes using the 12-step programme show miserable long-term recovery rates. AA itself admits that only about 5% of its members make it one year. Many other rehab programmes (not using the 12-steps) have FAR better results.

The only way that AA has managed to virtually take over all alcohol recovery and rehab programmes in the world is the same way cults convert.

For more interesting and detailed reading on this, I suggest everyone see:

Orange Papers

OK, that said, I have also found the stories in the big book interesting. And, like Hippie and others say, everyone should do whatever they feel is best for them to help stay sober, and if AA does it for them, more (greater) power to them.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

AA Big Book

I have real problems with AA too. I've gone to meetings, and during the time I was in rehab, I went to AA meetings then too. I'll never forget one speaker looking at the audience of addicts in rehab and telling us not even a fourth of us would ever become sober. I think it was meant as a scare tactic, but all it did for me was reaffirm that something had to be terribly wrong with a program that had such bad results.

Something else: I felt worse after meetings, because I had to tell a room full of strangers I was an alcoholic, and that was my entire identity. Night after night after night. Plus, those were some pretty depressed people. No one ever talked about the health aspects of alcohol dependence, or how taking vitamins and supplements could help you feel better. Some of those people hadn't had a drink in a while, and they really seemed pretty miserable.

There was never any talk of alternative medicine, and if you admitted talking medication there was a real disapproval. I think the organization is well intentioned, but I agree it is a cult. I still go to one particular meeting now and then, but I feel increasing pressure from the group to become one of them. And that's just not something I can do.

P.S. Plus I hate being part of groups for the most part.

Comment

Working...
      X