Freedom from Addiction - Chopra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you thought. A friend of mine is sending it to me this weekend. She bought it to stop smoking and didn't rave about the book when I asked her.

I am also going to bear my brother in mind when reading the book as he has hit rock bottom with his drug addiction.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

nancy;449978 wrote:
      Most chemicals that influence mood act by minicking natural messenger molecules in the brain. Abiding by the law of conservation of energy, when the brain receives an external chemical, which mimics what it normally manufactures, it reduces production. The brain is left without an inner or outer source, creating symptoms that are the opposite effect of the drug.... The debt is often equal or greater than the desired effect.

The second related problem with using drugs to modulate feelings is that your inner state becomes dependent upon something external. Even if the drug or behavior has minimal side effects, the dependency upon an outer source for inner comfort leaves one feeling vulnerable. More of a person's emotional and psychological resources are consumed to ensure a steady supply of the distress-relieving substance and anxiety arises if the outer source is not available.
      Well, your summary/synthesis really says it all, Nancy, doesn't it? That, plus the recommendation to use methods such as yoga, meditation, etc. It does sound like a good book for those who are just learning about addiction/dependence, and trying to figure out how it might apply to them, and what to do about it.

DB, I would agree, it might be something helpful for your brother. I hope so.

Thanks for the book review, Nancy!

Comment

Well I finally got my grubby paws on the book - my front cover doesn't look anything like the latest copy tho as it's a very old dog eared copy.

Wip, I hope you are lurking as I think you will appreciate this book. I am on the fourth chapter and so far I think it's briliant.

Deepak believes that addicts are "seekers", albeit misguided ones. He says in his book " addicts are seekers of pleasure, perhaps even a kind of transcendent experience - and I want to emphasis that this kind of seeking is extreemly positive. But the addict is looking in the wrong places, he is going after something very important and we cannot afford to ignore the meaning of his search. At least initially the addict hopes to experience something wonderful, something that transcends an unsatisfactory or even tolerable everyday reality. There is nothing to be ashamed of in this impulse. On the contrary, it provides a foundation for true hope and real transformation"

This really resonated with me as I am forever seeking joy at the bottom of a bottle of wine.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi Deebs! Not just lurking... here I am, posting!

So, Deepak Chopra (along with Gerald May) is expanding on what Carl Jung wrote about addiction and spirituality. It's a compelling viewpoint, I agree. Not sure it is true for everyone... but for many of us, certainly so.

The way that I understand it... and that makes the most sense to me... is one snippet of what Jung said: "Spiritus contra spiritum," which I translate and interpret to mean BOTH that using "spirits," or alcohol, is inconsistent with a genuine spirituality; AND that practicing a genuine, healthy spirituality helps us to heal from the damage we have done by using "spirits."

So... did you decide to send it to your brother? Do you think it would be helpful to him? How's he doing, anyhow?

Comment

Great to hear from you Wip!

I think the book is definetly something I want to explore further... as for my brother... I haven't heard from him in 4 months now -- he hasn't replied to that e-mail I sent him, so I've backed off for now. He is communicating with my parents tho, so that's a good thing and it sounds like he might be trying to get his life in order, so I can only send good vibes his way, right? I can't take on his load too, I need to focus on myself for a while.

BTW, I was thinking of you today. I went into this gift shop and they had this little wooden plaque that you hang on your door knob -- you know like the "Do Not Disturb" signs in hotels? Well this one had a painting of a woman sitting with her feet up, reading a book, curlers in the hair and looking very relaxed with life and the sign said "A Work In Progress -- Do Not Disturb" LOL... how brilliant!!

Comment

Hi, i'm new to this site, I just signed up today and its going to be my first day that im not gonna drink in a long time, I am still at work but i worry when I get home how im gonna cope not drinking tonight, would appreciate some guidance from somebody and some encouraging words to get me through this difficult time, Thank You, Sincerely Tiffygirl

Comment

Hi Tiffy, :welcome: Sounds like you have a plan, I suggest taking a walk or going to the gym followed by a long relaxing bubble bath if you can, read or come to this site and read as much as you can about others who are going through the same.
                You will need a solid plan, for the week. Are you taking the supplements, have you read the MWO book, this is a multi faceted approach not just one thing. Feel free to post and ask for help on the newbie board.again welcome
                tiffygirl;495699 wrote:
                Hi, i'm new to this site, I just signed up today and its going to be my first day that im not gonna drink in a long time, I am still at work but i worry when I get home how im gonna cope not drinking tonight, would appreciate some guidance from somebody and some encouraging words to get me through this difficult time, Thank You, Sincerely Tiffygirl
                "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

Jump into the Newbie nest...You will find your place here in this family.it takes awhile to get to know people but give this site a chance and you will find it to be wonderful SUPPORT.
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

i havent read the book,is it not just an opinion of ones thots,if one is not like us,cause we are unique,how can they help us,am i wrong or is it really hard for people to just stop,do we ever really stop,if we stop we talk about it all the time,if we dont we drowned ourselves unless we lern to limit,ourselves,rt,some of you folks seem to read a lot,i never read before i had treatment,but i have a book here,from william james,he wrote many but he to was a sick person.physically.but all tht he writes is his opinion,does not make it rt,i have to be honest like i always am,i had a frikkin hangover today,it was not nc,but i did not come home and drowned my self in AL,didnt take drugs to help,didnt feel remorse,why should i.i think we have to come to a reality if we do to much,good luck tomorrow,i beleive some one here said it ,WHATEVER works,use,it,a book will not keep you sober any more then here or A,A,i no what ive lerned over the last seveal months,i have to work for what i want,the world will not change for me,i have to want to change,good luck to you gyco and by the way wip and nancy never go away you make me proud to be a part of this along with many others

Comment

site hahah forgot a word

Comment

wow havent had one of these for a while but all survive

Comment

I'm going to the library today to get this book and The Mood Cure - can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                          X