Dry: A Memoir - Augusten Burroughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone PLEASE tell me that this book is not horribly depressing. I am starting Part II. But I am feeling very fragile today, and can't handle a downer. I wanted to get tons of work done today, and all I want to do is put my head under the pillow.

Comment

CS, I know how you feel. I had to put it down because I was afraid of the end. Don't be. You'll be glad you finished it.

Take care,
      Be
      "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

I am blowing off all responsibilities today (like going to the grocery store, or getting work done) and reading reading reading! Like I just want to get it done with.

Comment

Did you decide to go ahead and keep reading "Dry"? What do you think.... depressing, or not? I really enjoyed it, but it sure is "dark." Very well-written, very gritty!

Comment

Yeah, WIP, I'm still reading it. Probably not the best choice for my mood. I get a little obsessive over stuff like this, sometimes, though. (imagine that! A problem drinker -- obsessive?)

Comment

Finished it -- finally! 24 hour reading blitz. Now I can get on with the rest of my life. I thought I was going to cry a couple of times.

Comment

CS04;549998 wrote: (imagine that! A problem drinker -- obsessive?)
                CS, you made me laugh with that one. Absolutely I know we can be obsessive! I read and enjoyed Dry, and Running with Scissors. Dry is in my nightstand and I need to read it again.
                :h
                The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

I tried to find it at Barnes & Noble yesterday. No Luck. I bought, "The alcoholism and addiction cure." Of course, I am extremely skeptical, but very curious. I'm sure that I will fine Dry, eventually. So Many Books, so little time.lol.
                  "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Amazon.com has it. i have it on Audio CD and have listened to it over 6 times now. AMAZING
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

It sounds like a "must read".

Comment

I got Dry from the library. In fact I think it is overdue and I need to return it. I rarely buy books--too cheap/too broke.

Suzanna, as far as obsessive -- I think I have gotten more so over the past few years! I am pretty sure the birth of my son has a lot to do with that (he is now 2 1/2).

Here is another book, for the moms out there: Confessions of a Naughty Mommy: How I Found My Lost Libido
                        , by Heidi Raykeil. It is not related to AL problems, but sure rang true with some other issues!

Comment

CS, definitely having a toddler around who's probably looking to get into everything would make anybody obsessive!

I want to look up the audio version on itunes, see who is reading the story. If it is Augusten himself, then I'm getting it!
                          The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

I am going to the library tomorrow for it, it sounds wonderful....dark, depressing, like alcohol used to make me....all of a sudden, I feel like having some fun again.....but when five o'clock gets here, I am still afraid to go into the kitchen.....I am afraid if I don't have something to do, I might you know what! I am only five days AF, but five glorious days....the headaches are finally gone, sick for three days, weak....but I am better now.

Comment

i love this book more than life itself. being gay and an alcoholic is such a strange thing...i found it harder to tell people im an alcoholic than it was to say i'm a lesbian.

Comment

Hi Alicia, welcome aboard. I did treat myself to the audio because Augusten is reading it. He is so matter of fact about his alcoholism and the depths that he went to, it's amazing he made it back from where he was.

Comment

Working...
                                X