Dry: A Memoir - Augusten Burroughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished this book today. Augusten Burroughs is witty and self-deprecating. I didn't find the book depressing although there was a lot of sadness in it particularly around the lost time with his friend Pighead. Really identified with his feelings of 'addiction' in unsuitable relationships (Foster). I know he's written a couple of memoirs about his earlier life and a novel. Is there a sequel to this? I wanna know how he gets on! I felt it was encouraging that he ended up back in AA with his old drinking buddy; bittersweet.
    AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

Running with Scissors is laugh out loud funny although in many ways quite a shocking read as there can't be a lot of people who have had a childhood like his.

There was a film made as well. Hope you enjoy it......
      AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

DRY is my fav book on the subject. His wolf book was awful though. It may have been cathartic for him to write but it hurt me to read it.

He has two books of short stories which are great also.
        Andy R:

Comment

I just finished Dry this past weekend. Actually I devoured it in one day I really liked it and am now reading Running with Scissors. I am enjoying his style of writing, also his wit.

Comment

Peace - I absolutely loved DRY too, I read it in two days! Then I read "Running with scissors" which I also read really quickly as he has such a readable style. I found it a much darker story though bordering on disturbing, I will be interested to see what you make of it.....
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

Totally agree with you Chilli. Dry was definitely my favourite of his tho
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I loved "Dry," too. I downloaded another book I haven't heard mentioned yet (maybe I just missed it) called "Lit" by Mary Carr, and I'm enjoying it even more. She's a poet and fiction writer, and this shows in her writing. Her family is pretty much a Southern version of mine, so there's the added plus of relating to a lot of her experiences.

Amazon.com: Lit: A Memoir (P.S.) (9780060596996): Mary Karr: Gateway
                AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Due to your thread you have 'forced' me to spend ?7.99 at the book shop! I am looking forward to reading this (when I've finished my current book). Will post back to let you know what I think.
                  K x
                  Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Chill, I totally agree with his writing style, so easy to read in one sitting. And yes I am finding Running with Scissors somewhat disturbing at some parts. I will be finished soon and will probably rent the movie again, I haven't seen it in years.

Comment

Hmmm, well I finished the book and am a little disappointed. I thought it was good, but not great. He writes well and evenly, no real melodrama or anything, but it just didn't really 'do it' for me. The bits at the end about withdrawal were recognisable to me, but there was no real sense of how it felt to BE him most of the time. I didn't identify that much.

He'll tell you about surface feelings more than the deep-runnung stuff and he comes across as quite emotionless throughout lots of it. Like he'll say he hates someone but you don't get a vivid sense of how bad that feels or what it feels like. It's just emptyish words.

I know I have read a really good book when I catch myself frowning or biting my nails or something without even realising I am doing it. I guess this just didn't touch me that much. I was left somewhat cold by it.

An alky book which I found to be much more successful was Under The Volcano by Malcolm Lowry. Man I knew what was going on for him! - I felt it and understood it all. So much so, I had to stop reading it and give it a break from time to time because it was so familiar and painful yet enticing -as my paradoxical alky existance often was - that it made me want to both drink and cry at the same time. I will try to re-read this at some point as it is a truly BRILLIANT book and deserves to be re-read.

Sorry to be downer when all of you seemed to love this book! Any other recommendations? Should I try Running With Scissors anyway - or is there anything else that I might like? I'm on a bit of a jag for bio/recovery books at the moment after reading one which both touched and taught me and made me want to get better. Another book like that would be great.

Thanks,
                      K x

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Ah Reggie. always good to encounter a gentleman of exquisite taste

I am never sure about seeing films based on great books I have enjoyed, but I think I may give this one a look thanks to your reommendation. Ta

Recovery Videos

Comment

I was reading Running with Scissors and put it down half way and haven't picked it back up again...not sure why, just needed a change I guess.

I just finished Cleaning Up by Tania Glyde, it was good but took a bit longer to read and I skipped through parts...Going to start Rachel's Holiday in a couple of minutes, many on this site have really enjoyed it.

I am so very happy to be reading a lot again, I didn't realize what a state I was in with my addiction. I actually remember what I read..

Comment

Thanks for reminding me about this fantastic book, my son also read it and enjoyed it, it also gave him a bit of insight into being an alcoholic as hes always been an alcoholics son.

Comment

Working...
                            X