The Secret Scsripture by Sebastian Barry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roseanne McNulty is approaching 100 years old and has lived most of her adult life in an insane asylum. Dr. Grene is Roseanne's psychiatist and tasked with assessing whether Roseanne is able to be returned to 'normal' society since the asylum is being demolished and there is not enough room for all of the patients that have to be relocated. Set in Ireland, the story is based on 2 journals, or 'Secret Scriptures'. One is written by Roseanne in an attempt to chronicle her life, and the other is written by Dr. Grene who has taken a keen interest in Roseanne as he completes his assessment of her. As Roseanne documents the memories of her life as a child and young adult in the early 1900's, the reader experiences the turmoil and unrest in Ireland and the impact of the Catholic church during these times. Roseanne, a Protestant, marries Tom McNulty, a Catholic and is never accepted by his mother. Meanwhile, as Dr. Grene develops his journal, he uncovers documents that tell a different story about Roseanne's life than what her memories reveal.

As I read this intriguing novel, I was at times perplexed by the ramblings of Roseanne as she tried to capture her fleeting memories but I had to remind myself that she was nearly 100 years old and should be entitled to her ramblings as they were her way of trying to set the story straight so to speak.

As the storyline developed, my interest continued to increase as I was curious to know which version of the story had more truth, Roseanne's or Dr. Grene's. Or, perhaps, a combination of the two stories?

There is a twist at the end that I absolutely did not see coming so I was left totally satisfied with this novel.

Certainly, not a 'light read' based on the subject matter but 'The Secret Scripture' is a book that I would recommend for those who are interested in learning more about Ireland during it's rebellious years and for those who enjoy mysteries with surprise endings.
    John
    AF since 7/13/2010

I have this on my shelf waiting to be read...I am defo going to give it a go now..Thanks Paguy!
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Absolutely loved this book - one of my favourites of the year!!
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

What others have you found good Molly, I picked up loads from the second hand shop!

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Loved 'Room' and 'The Help', Brooklyn was a nice read, reading one now called 'the senators wife' its upstairs so can't remember who wrote it but its a good easy read. Only getting back into reading lately Oney - could NOT concentrate on reading when I was drinking. An awful shame really, when I was a child I read like a mad thing - I work in a library so I'm like a child in a sweet shop now!!

Comment

Another brilliant read - 'I know this much is true' by Wally Lamb(e?), very long but a fantastic book

Comment

I was the same Molly, I adored books but when I was drinking, they took a back seat...I never rememebered fully the chapters I read the night before....urrrghhhh.

I am EATING books now, nothing like curling up in bed with a good book...SOBER!

I have not read any of the ones you mentioned, made a note of them tho!

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

mollyka;1008467 wrote: Another brilliant read - 'I know this much is true' by Wally Lamb(e?), very long but a fantastic book
                Another really good book by Wally Lamb is "She's Come Undone"....
                John
                AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Will add that to the list too paguy! Thank you.

AF 10th May 2010
                  NF 12th May 2010

Comment

one2many;1008471 wrote: I was the same Molly, I adored books but when I was drinking, they took a back seat...I never rememebered fully the chapters I read the night before....urrrghhhh.

I am EATING books now, nothing like curling up in bed with a good book...SOBER!

I have not read any of the ones you mentioned, made a note of them tho!
                    Re-discovering reading has been yet another blessing sobriety has brought me. Similar to you, one2many, reading took a back seat all those years I was drinking... what a shame! I am reading a book a week now and I'm loving it.
                    John
                    AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Me too!!! I get all the best titles very cheaply at a thrift shop nearby so have a HUGE pile waiting to be read.

You are never alone if you have a book!!

AF 10th May 2010
                      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I too read a lot, but slowly. I usually have two or three on the go at once though I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I've go some Sci-Fi for the bath and something scary for bedtime.
                        I'm going to try some of the recommendations here as most of the stuff I reads just popular, pulp fiction but I'd like to get into something more challenging.
                        One of the best books I ever read was To Kill a Mocking Bird (Harper Lee) which I read in two days and picked up for 10p in a charity shop.
                        I'm not much of a critic but I know a good story when I read one.

Comment

Working...
                        X