The Diet Cure by Julia Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julia has also written a book titled The Mood Cure. The contents are very similar.

Link to the web site: The Diet Cure: End Eating Disorders, Mood Swings, Addictions-- Now

Link to the book on Amazon: Amazon.com: The Diet Cure (9780140286526): Julia Ross: Books

This book is a significant expansion of the very basic information provided in the My Way Out book about nutritional deficiencies and brain chemistry issues, and their relationship to alcohol and sugar addiction and cravings, as well as other issues such as depression and anxiety.

When I first got sober, I followed the My Way Out protocol with the exception of Topomax (or any other prescription anti-craving med). I read the book and followed the diet and exercise advice in addition to taking the supps in the starter kit and listening to the hypnosis CD's. That got me on my way to my first 60 days sober. I had never managed even a few days in a row of sobriety before that.

Over the last year I did not drink, but strayed away from the diet and supplementation recommendations. I let sugar back into my life and MAN have I struggled with it for months. The cravings have just been overwhelming keeping me in the addiction cycle with sugar.

About 2 weeks ago I started the complete protocol of supplements that seem appropriate for me from The Diet Cure (there are questionairres to determine areas of probable deficiency). For one week now I have been back to low carb eating with NO sugar or refined grains, and without major craving issues. It's pretty amazing. My moods through this have been stable. I have been sleeping well and have also been alert and energetic through the days.

I should have been a "believer" when I first took the MWO supplements. I guess I needed more proof. Anyway, this book and/or The Mood Cure are interesting reads.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Julia Ross is BRILLIANT!!!

Doggygirl,

I have shared so many copies of The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure or given them as gifts over the years, I can't count them! Julia Ross is simply brilliant, the books are amazingly written and just PACKED with information to help you address what ails you, and she covers so many issues (illnesses) with diet and supplement recommendations, no one is left out. If you can't afford to buy dozens of books about how to fix yourself moodwise, foodwise, healthwise, these two books will more than fill anyone's needs for detailed, researched information and guidance.

Glad you found her books! I think they should be taught in school!

Comment

Seven Weeks is awesome, and has alot of the same concepts, but is focused solely on AL, like the author's other book Depression Free Naturally takes basically the same info, and focuses it towards depression, not AL, so non AL people can benefit from the concepts.

Hypoglycemia is one of my triggers - I use the term loosely, hypoglycemia, because I'm no doctor, but I do know that in trying to keep my weight in check in my 30's, I substituted AL for dinner (2-3 beers after the gym) and I'd have some milk before bed to keep my growling stomach from keeping me up.

I think that's when my AL use kicked into daily high gear, my boyfriend at the time was a scotch drinker, and I lived in SF where wine flows down the streets, it's uncivilized there NOT to have wine in the evening ... And so, moving from low-octane beer to jet fuel rapidly, I got drunk quickly on wine and scotch, and was still hungry so I ate since I lost control at that point. I gained a ton of weight and a heavier drinking problem.

I used to come home from work and have an immediate beer, because the bubbles made my stomach happy and the AL made my brain happy. And I'd get a quick buzz on an empty stomach, which I craved. Now, I'm trying to control my cravings, and I find if I eat at the witching hour instead of drinking right away, I drink less that night, I have reduced "urgency".

I believe, at least for me, that keeping my blood sugar level is a key to control, but maybe not the only key I need to be sober. Certain foods make me crave AL more, like gluten and dairy. These also make me crave carbs more in general, the more sugary and/or starchy, the better!

Comment

Thanks, DG. It is available used through Amazon for under $1 plus shipping, so I will order it. I generally believe those health writers who state that supplements are unnecessary if you eat well, with the exception of calcium for post-menopausal women. But I certainly do have those sugar/carb cravings, and I believe it is important to keep my mind open.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

L-Glutamine will help with the cravings.

Comment

Thanks, Fletch, maybe I should try it again. I bought the cheap kind at WalMart, didn't seem to make any difference.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sounds good Doggygirl Ta

Comment

Hi Sunbeam,

You might want to increase your dose of L-glut, google body building recommendations or depression recommendations. BioRecovery has a recommendation, and good supplements too.

It helps me to avoid dairy and gluten, both which make me want to have more of the same, as well as anything with high glycemic values (sugar, starch).

Comment

Hi Sheri,

I looooove Julia Ross. The Mood Cure is great too. Even if the recommendations don't all ring true for you, you'll learn alot and be reminded of alot of things you already know.

I think you're right, 3000 calories is alot but if you're active, and you've already gotten to your ideal weight (a normal weight), then perhaps you could sustain the 3000kcal. I guess it depends on whether or not you could eat all that - you probably wouldn't because there'd be no goodies ... but without sugar and poisons in the mix, we probably could ingest a ton more food. And all that fat = tons of energy, so I'm guessing she's assuming a naturally more active person after the changes than prior. Let me know what you think of the book. It had alot of the same rationales that Depression Free Naturally/Seven Weeks to Sobriety author has in her books.

Very fun review via your link, thanks.

Comment

I am reading the Diet Cure. I love it! Even though I am mostly happy with my weight, it is still a great book. I wonder what would be a good pasta substitute and where to get it?

Comment

Miracle Noodles, online.

Comment

Working...
                      X