Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes

Here is a link to his blog: Blog | Gary Taubes

Here is a link to the book on Amazon: Amazon.com: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (Borzoi Books) (9780307272706): Gary Taubes: Books

Gary's last book was Good Calories Bad Calories. I believe it was also released outside the US under a different name? (not sure if I'm recalling that correctly) Anyway, Gary confronts the generally accepted "wisdom" of low fat / low cholesterol diets for health and/or weight loss, and well as many other generally accepted principles. In that first book, the information presented was good but extremely technical. There is not doubt he's got his facts together! It was a very tough read though and I confess I didn't make it all the way through.

Why We Get Fat is an updated and much simplified version of the original. He specifically wrote it with the "lay person" in mind. This is not a diet book, but a historical perspective on obesity and malnution that challenges common wisdom in a way that is certainly making me sit up and take notice. He recommends a low carb solution, but this is not a book that is just a regurgetation of very other low carb diet book out there.

A very interesting read for anyone who questions the efficacy of low fat / low calorie dieting and/or the accuracy of the calories in / calories out equation.

Once again, this is in line with the recommendations for diet made in the My Way Out book.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.
Working...
X