Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking-a love story

LOVE Caroline Knapp

I have read this book over and over...and I don't even own it. I would read it at the library (but wouldn't check it out), I would read it at Borders when on my break from work at the mall, and almost bought it today but could not bring myself to do so. I have memorized many lines from the book, and can just totally relate to so many of her experiences with drinking (and other emotions). I was crushed to learn, in my early days of researching MWO, that Knapp had died at the age of 42 due to lung cancer. I recommend this book to any woman who feels that they drink too much.

p.s. will look for "Dry" -- who is the author?

CS

Comment

Drinking-a love story

I read Drinking, A Love Story last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am unfamiliar with the other books listed and appreciate the recommendations. Have put them on my list to look for. Thanks.

Comment

Drinking-a love story

Hi sweetie where did you get the book from? was going to get in touch tonight but failed again love seashell x
        Seashell X

Comment

Drinking-a love story

While I couldn't relate to the author's upbringing one iota, I most certainly could relate to this book. Some of the passages describing drinking put pen to words that which I could never describe.

The need is more than merely physical: it's psychic and visceral and multilayered...there's a sense of deep need, and the response is a grabbiness, a compulsion to latch on to something outside yourself in order to assuage some deep discomfort.

I began drinking at the age of 16 and it helped me greatly in social settings. I continued to use alcohol in social settings to make myself comfortable. I was never comfortable in my own skin. She describes this to a "t".

That may be liquor's most profound and universal appeals to the alcoholic: the way it generates a sense of connection to others, the way it numbs social anxiety and dilutes feelings of isolation, gives you a sense of access to the world. You're trapped in your own skin and thoughts; you drink; you are released, just like that. One drink, and the bridge - so elusive in the cold, nerve jangled sensitivity of sobriety - appears, waiting only to be crossed.

I certainly could relate to some of the author's boyfriends and alcohol. Alcohol was central in my main relationships in my 20's. I always looked outside of myself for help, reassurance, acceptance. It took a lot of strengh, reading and courage for me to step outside of that cycle. Yuck. What a waste. My thoughts were much along the lines as hers:

'"You'd drink, too, if you had my problems."' That's the thinking.
          '"I'm not unhappy because I drink; I drink because I am unhappy."'
          That is the logic and every alcoholic on the planet uses it. And so the pattern becomes more deeply entrenched, and so the drinking continues, increases, spirals onward. Time passes, nothing changes. You wait. And while you're waiting, you drink. And while you drink, you get more stuck.

She goes on...

In reality, though, the drinking merely complicated the sense of fragmentation, contributed to the gradual loss of control. And that's precisely how drinking works. Your life gets ugly and you drink more. You drink more and your life gets uglier still.

The lightbulb does go on, though. She realizes she uses drinking instead of making painful choices. That's me. I developed that cycle, too. Whenever I feel helpless, I choose/chose to drink.

Instead of making the painful choice, instead of walking away or standing up for myself, or figuring out what I really needed, I'd drink, and the drink would make me succumb to the dynamic, succumb to the relationship and the anger, keep my fingernails dug in.

That's me, too. Or was me. Or is the me I'm working on. Reading helps me so much. Living with an alcoholic husband is difficult but he want to change too, now, so that's wonderful.

I love this book. It helped me to understand my drinking patterns, why I chose some of the choices I did when I was younger and maybe what I can do to help prevent that from happening to my beautiful daughter.

Take care,
          Be
          "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Drinking-a love story

I have read "Drinking, a Love Story" loads of times and absolutely love it. There is so much in there that I can relate to. I too was very upset to find out that Caroline Knapp died at age 42 of lung cancer. I have also read "Head Full of Blue", which is brilliant and "Dry", also very good indeed. You can get all of these books from Amazon.

Comment

Drinking-a love story

Another Few Good Reads

A Million Little Pieces,by James Frey and /"What did i do last night? by Tom Sykes.
              Loved Dry also.Must get my hands on "Drinking A love Story"Sounds like my kind of book.
              "Just when i was getting used to yesterday,along came today"
              Bring it on!

Comment

Drinking-a love story

As I have already posted, it is one of the best, IMO. Especially if you are female and a wine drinker, altho she drank other stuff besides wine. I do think most of us have/had a certain "favorite" beverage. I related to the whole book so much. You can easily get it from the library.

Comment

Drinking-a love story

I read "Drinking A Love Story" and I thought it was really good. There are definitely things you can relate to in the book. I like her honesty, it really hits home.

Narilly
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Drinking-a love story

I loved Drinking A Love Story - it had a major positive effect on me. I also read her book "A Pack of Two". If you're female and have a dog, you will love this book as well. I was so sad to learn Caroline Knapp died in her mid-40s a few years ago. I so related to her and looked forward to more books.

Comment

Drinking-a love story

She also wrote a book about her struggles with an eating disorder -- I think it was called Appetites or something like that. Anyone who is dealing with cross-addiction might find that helpful.

Comment

Drinking-a love story

I loved "Drinking a Love Story" also. I just read it over Memorial Day weekend. I could relate to her story in many many aspects.
                        Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Drinking-a love story

I LOVED LOVED LOVED A Pack of Two.

Comment

Drinking-a love story

Bump for Liath. One of my favorite books! I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you.

Comment

Drinking-a love story

Hi CSO4. What is a bump exactly? Some thread feature I haven't figured out yet?

Wow. The book "Drinking: a love story" is really inspiring. There is something comforting in exploring the underlying issues behind the drinking and realizing you are not the only one with this problem. Caroline Knapp's story seems painfully familiar and frightening to me, and the last few chapters read like a glimpse into one of my possible futures. I read it during my first week AL free and it really gave me strength. I am so sorry to hear that she has died.

I feel as though I am becoming the person I am meant to be now that I am not drinking. I am not "stuck" anymore. I have more time, more money, fewer regrets, and I feel great! Knapp captures the essence of the pain and suffering I have endured to get to this point, the point when I realized that drinking isn't worth it.
                              Liath

Comment

Drinking-a love story

Well, Caroline Knapp died a few years ago... 2004? I was very sad about it, for her story was such an inspiration for me. I hope her last sober years were good and worth living. Lung cancer brought her down
                                "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
                                Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                                X