Allen Carr's books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Carr's books

Here's what Paddy has to say on Allen Carr's book - just to counter balance all the positive points said just before:

- His writing style is absolute cr*p (sorry, but I needed stress counseling after reading his book!)

- Carr says, while Alcohol is a chemical that has power over our bodies, yet the solution the problem of our addiction is to be found entirely in our heads - now, how can he say something like that?? It's true that some are still more predisposed that others to drink (I'm from a family loaded with people with drinking problems ... For me, it's not a surprise that I'm fighting this demon. So, it can't be entirely in my head.

- His doctrine of All or Nothing is unsustainable ... (I know, deep inside, for me it is going to be all or nothing, but for some people moderation is sustainable, so why not?).

- Every person drinking alcohol is an alcoholic. I have problem with that assumption. I used to think I was an alcoholic, but frankly, I never fitted the bill. First of all, I never drunk until I passed out. I never binge drunk. My liver never wasted to the point of no return. I prefer to term myself 'problem drinker'.

I do give Carr credit for a number of points in his book, and the manual is a good resource to have (apart from his know-it-all style which drives me up the wall). He makes a good point by saying that willpower alone is not enough to fight alcohol dependence.

Anyway, my 2 cents' worth.
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Gem, I ordered it 2 weeks ago from Collins (I'm in Sydney) via the internet. I should be receiving it any day now. I ordered the Control version.

Very sad to hear about Allen Carr and how he died.

Scooby
      :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Allen Carr's books

What did death kill him?

Sorry, Doo, had to pull a real Aussie on ya!
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Hi Scooby,

I think I read somewhere that the only difference between the "Stop Drinking" and the "Control Drinking" versions is the title... is that true?

Gem x

PS I never noticed you were in Sydney, too! Yay!
          Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Gem, I'm not sure... I only have the one version and it just arrived yesterday.

I'm in the northern hills district... where abouts are you?

Scoob
            :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Inner West Sydney!

Gem x
              Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Regarding Paddy's points.

As I recall he says he doesn't like the term alcoholic. He does use it in the book, but
                he says he doesn't like the term.

I think his point is that alcohol is a drug that creates dependency and that those with bad problems should not see themselves as part of a special doomed species, diseased or whatever,unable to enjoy the wonderful booze. he says, correctly i believe, that this feeling of deprivation is what makes it hard to give alcohol up.

people with drinking problems are just on a different part of a slope towards dependency. I think this is true. A lot of people are very socially dependent on alcohol or drink huge amounts. but if they don't black out or destroy things, we don't consider them alcoholic. i think under allan's definition they would be dependent on alcohol, but just with a less severe problem than others.

Having said that, your points about physical aspects are on target. he doesn't address that very well. the book is overly simplistic in a number of ways. but it does help you view the
                addiction in relation to society's expectations in a much different light.

i would like to moderate but still found it useful.

sign me,
                A FAN!

Comment

Working...
                X