blackout/passout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blackout/passout?

I've been reading the funny stories thread, and it got me thinking about different kind of drinkers. I for one have often wished I was the kind of drinker who just went to sleep when they'd had a few too many, because although it may be embarrassing, it beats the hell out of blacking out and having NO recollection of the hours and hours that you've spent functioning (on some level) the night before. Sometimes I have been told(afterwards,by friends) i that was quite ok- talking laughing etc. Other times I have been a 'robot' ie - lights on, but no one home - not interacting on any level, but awake. Then other times I would stagger around and unable to support my weight..
    I guess it has a lot to do with how much I've had and perhaps brain chemistry (someone mentioned tryptophan in another thread). Has anyone read anything about blackout and why it happens? I almost feel like i have trained myself to drink to the point of blackout- as it never used to happen, and gradually it became more and more common. I'd like to read some information on this if anyone knows more or can suggest some link.
    Thanks!

blackout/passout?

I'm not too sure on this on this but I do remember something about the concentration of alcohol in your blood.

I used to blackout if I drank very quickly and esp if I have not had something to eat before hand.

Comment

blackout/passout?

Dear Sad - I was just reading about this on-line the other night. I'll try to remember what link it was on but it lead to info regarding alcohol poisoning. The acticle claimed that death do to an abundance of alcohol comsumed is possible, but rare. They are refering to drinking so much in one sitting, you die that same day; i.e. college hazings, etc. What happens when we drink way too much is that our bodies put up their own defense mechanisms to actually avoid dying by vomitting or passing/blacking out. As you know, it's a definate signal that you need to stop because you can die from long term alcohol abuse. It was very interesting and scary reading. If I find the link, I'll post back.

Please pay attention to the warning your body is giving you. You deserve to be healthy and happy, but only you can provide that for yourself. Remember that we are always here for you. Take care.

Love, Me
      :l
      Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

blackout/passout?

Hi thankful that sounds like an interesting article you were reading, hopefully you can find it!

Comment

blackout/passout?

Found it! Scary enough to keep me sober!

Alcohol-related neurological disease: Information and Much More from Answers.com

Love, Me
          Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

blackout/passout?

I too was thinking about blackouts as I read the funny stories thread. I wish I did funny things when I drank, but its usually just me running my big mouth to friends and coworkers then having a panic attack the next morning cause I can't remember what I said.

Its usually the end of the night. I can remember that I talked to someone, if I ate, even going to bed, just not the conversation.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Comment

blackout/passout?

hi all,
              thanks for opening this thread, sad in beijing.
              thankful thanks for that i'm going to read that right now.
              Love
              Teardrop.x
              family is everything to me

Comment

blackout/passout?

Damn! After reading that article....scared me sober too!!! (print...print)

Beijing, thank you for this thread! And thankful, thank you for this article!!
                This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

blackout/passout?

Oh yikers. I gotta shore it up. Or I might die.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

blackout/passout?

hi sad. it's very strange how some people blackout and others don't. i think it's definitely chemistry related.
                    i have a friend who blacksout after 4 beers. I never do regardless of the amount I drink, but that's still not something to be proud of.
                    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

blackout/passout?

Hello Sad in Be,

Blackouts.....hate them. How did we ever get to that stage in our drinking.....

Thankful, thanks for the real reminder as to why we are here. The more AF days we have and the longer we can abstain, the much better off we will be. Let's never ever get to the final stages of alcoholism.
                      Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

blackout/passout?

Thankful;260436 wrote: Found it! Scary enough to keep me sober!

Alcohol-related neurological disease: Information and Much More from Answers.com

Love, Me
                        Holy CRAP that IS scary!

Comment

blackout/passout?

That is terrifying! Enough to keep me AF this weekend at the very least!

Comment

blackout/passout?

I think that blackouts occur for those of us who build such a huge tolerance for alcohol over a long period of time that our body/brain does not know what else to do??? My blackouts have only occurred over the past couple of months or so. I can remember just about everything. But something will happen, I will call a friend to say, "Holy crap, guess what just happened." I will remember everything!!!! But when I call the same friend to tell the story, she will say, "Don't you remember calling me last night?" And I don't.
                            Goal 1: Today
                            Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

blackout/passout?

I was blacking out almost every night up until I stopped 9 days ago, I just can't stop drinking once I start. I just don't seem to ever get to the point where I've had enough. I function quite normally and can appear quite sober but then wham and I don't remember a thing. I can be quite entertaining my friends tell me ... most recently I tried to pee in some friends of ours linen cupboard while at their house!

Comment

Working...
                              X