Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Post

:new:

I lost everything to alcohol, and still I crawl back to it. I drank most of last decade, but I've been actively trying to stop for about a year and a half. I did have eight sober months last year. But I've been going back to it again, and believe me, it gets worse every time I go back.

I need some support, some encouragement. I did find a very cool AA group. I need to continue in that group and find a sponsor there.

I may use this thread to track my own progress. Sobreity starts today, no need to wait for the New Year for resolutions. I need to do this right now, today. It is a commitment I need to make to myself. Not to try to win the wife back. I really want to be clean. God, help me.

I know I won't be able to sleep tonight, and I'm scared to death of the future. But I am not going to kill myself. I am going to live in sobriety. It's got to be better than living like this.

First Post

It is.

Welcome, Sona!

Pride
    AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
    "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

First Post

Thank you for the quick response, I really did need it today.

How do people do this? I wish there was a magical pill.

Comment

First Post

Hiya, Sona, and :welcome: to MWO!

Have a look at the Toolbox thread: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Read as much as you can, and also participate!

Good luck on your journey!
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

First Post

Thank you, I will read the Toolbox thread right now.

Comment

First Post

Welcome Sona!

Read, read. Ton's of great advice and everyone here has the common goal. We are in this together! You made the perfect first step in reaching out! Read Tip's Tool Box thread as well as many of the other threads. Lot's of friends here.

Welcome

Sharky

Comment

First Post

:welcome: Sona,

Just adding my hellos. Glad to have you here. Keep reading, keep posting and let us get to know you.

J x
              :l
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

First Post

Welcome, Sona!

Have you ever tried Baclofen? It has been a lifesaver for me. Knocks out my anxiety and I have been 95% AF on it. You can get it without a prescription through several online pharmacies. Look in the Meds Forum and click on Baclofen and you will see the success stories.

Lots of support here! Read and Post in the Just Starting Out Forum....it would be a good start. The Tool Box is awesome, too!

Best of luck to you in your journey!

Rusty

Comment

First Post

Welcome Sona.

I am starting today too. Had the same thought about not waiting for New Year's resolutions. Spent the last couple of days drinking excessively (as I'm sure many others do when they are about to quit) and feeling in very poor shape today.

I think I managed to make myself feel so bad though that right now it feels a huge relief to know that I've quit. I finished all the alcohol in the house so don't have to worry about being tempted. I also have 'fessed up to a couple of close friends who've offered to let me stay with them for a few days. Do you have good support around you? I've gradually been reaching out and telling more friends about my problem over the last year. Feel so glad to have done that so that asking for help now I've quit is not the Big Reveal at the same time.

Well done on your 8 months sober. That shows you you can do it! I personally can't wait to be shot of the secrecy, the deceit, the lying, the hangovers, the letting people down, letting myself down, failing to show up for things, the hypocrisy that I am training to be a health professional, spending so much money on poison, the guilt, vomiting, shaking, ruining my brain, worrying my family and friends....the list just goes on and on.

Best of luck to you. I will look forward to hearing about your progress.
                  Bean

Comment

First Post

Bean;1030736 wrote: Welcome Sona.

I am starting today too. Had the same thought about not waiting for New Year's resolutions. Spent the last couple of days drinking excessively (as I'm sure many others do when they are about to quit) and feeling in very poor shape today.

I think I managed to make myself feel so bad though that right now it feels a huge relief to know that I've quit. I finished all the alcohol in the house so don't have to worry about being tempted. I also have 'fessed up to a couple of close friends who've offered to let me stay with them for a few days. Do you have good support around you? I've gradually been reaching out and telling more friends about my problem over the last year. Feel so glad to have done that so that asking for help now I've quit is not the Big Reveal at the same time.

Well done on your 8 months sober. That shows you you can do it! I personally can't wait to be shot of the secrecy, the deceit, the lying, the hangovers, the letting people down, letting myself down, failing to show up for things, the hypocrisy that I am training to be a health professional, spending so much money on poison, the guilt, vomiting, shaking, ruining my brain, worrying my family and friends....the list just goes on and on.

Best of luck to you. I will look forward to hearing about your progress.
                    Bean
                    Thank you, Bean. Let's do this together, starting today!

I do not currently have good support around me. I have chased away everyone. I've lost all my friends and even my parents won't let me stay with them anymore. I am 40 years old, male, with a job I just lost because of alcohol. I'm in a serious state of depression having lost my wife to this addiction, too.

I am hoping that 2011 will bring some great things with it. It starts here. It starts today. I want to be able to look back on this thread in a few months and report that things are improving. I know that good things happen, but they come slowly -- and if I can stay off the sauce, some of the good might actually stick around.

Comment

First Post

Hi Sona,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!
                      If you haven't already, download & read the MWO Book from the Health Store here. It's full of good info about the program & it's components.

Drop in the Newbies Nest thread & introduce yourself - lots of people there just getting started as well.
                      Have you seen a doctor about your depression? In my case getting the anxiety & depression under control made quitting much easier.

Wishing you the best on your journey!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

First Post

Sona - I just saw this post - welcome. You are doing the right thing. Unfortunately for some of us it takes some pretty terrible things to occur to get our heads straight. It takes a while. When some of the toxins leave your body in a few days, you will be amazed at the clarity you will feel. It only gets better. Not that there aren't sucky, hard days, there are, but wth the support of this place, it is a million times easier. You have come to the right place. Best of luck to you friend.

Kat
                        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

First Post

Welcome! This is a great place to start! Pick up some lemon, water, vitamins, and L-Glutamine an you will have your arsenal ready! Put your seat belt on, some times the ride is bumpy but if you can hold on we will make it through!
                          You always succeed if you never stop trying.
                          Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

First Post

Thanks so much for the shout outs.

I haven't downloaded the book yet because my laptop doesn't have Adobe. Might have to order the soft cover edition.

I have two beautiful children and regardless of the divorce, my wife knows that I love them and she'll want me to see them as often as possible. I imagine I will be in their home several days a week, and they deserve a dad that is sober. They are two more great reasons for me to get back in the fight.

Comment

First Post

Welcome Sona,

There are several of us who are new on this journey along with you. Please read and post as much as you can -- there is also an AA thread on this site you may want to join since you are attending AA as well. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X