Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimistic October

Good morning everyone...

Fall has come here in the form of cooler weather, some rain and wind. I love it. I get to walk to a meeting this morning and will be sure to bundle up.

Cyn, take care of yourself, you deserve some down time.

Dill, enjoy that book.

Lav, have fun with your crafts.

Pauly, hope you are feeling better.

To all, have a great first day of October.

Good morning friends & welcome to a brand new month

Thanks for starting us up Star!
    I hope your meeting goes well & you enjoy your walk.

We are prepping for hurricane Joaquin here, yuck. Sounds like the weekend will be quite nasty. Rain & 57 degrees at the moment. I'm just going about my usual activities today & am not going to worry about something I cannot control (Mother Nature).

Dill, yes I am doing a craft show next month at my Curves club. It's the only one I do anymore because they take up so much time & energy, ha ha! It's amazing to see what the members come up with & a good opportunity to pick up a few gifts for the holidays

Cyn, my little lunch group is fabulous!
    We all appreciate each other so much more now than when we actually worked together, LOL. We never had the time to talk to each other in a meaningful way, now we do. We just pick up the conversation where we left off the previous month, amazing. I feel these women are the sisters I never had!

Pauly, I hope you stop back in to say hello, you are missed here!

Have a great AF Thursday everyone!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello friends, yes I love this cool weather!

Star, thanks for kicking off the month for us.

Lav, I bet it is a lot of work getting ready for the craft show!

Cyn, I hadn't got as far as the Historical notes at the back of the book. I'm just making my way thru the middle at present. I heard the series which has been out of print for a long time is going to be reprinted by Harper Collins with introduction by George R.R. Martin.

Have had a wonderful lunch with an old work buddy so am feeling up at the moment! Have a good af Thursday evening everyone.
      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Hello all -

Thanks so much for starting us out, Star! I hope your walk to work was good. I have really enjoyed these more autumnal walks with the dogs.

Dill - look for the little tiny numbers on some sentences in the pages of the book - that relates to the notes in the back and has something to do with whatever you're reading about. They're like footnotes, but just put in the back. And they are so fascinating - take a look and see if you can find some. I'm glad to hear that they're reprinting the books - I'd like to read the rest of the sequence. When you get to the end you'll know why. And it's so remarkable - it all truly happened!

Lav - I just looked at the forecast, and it seems like now they are 90% sure that this is going way east out to sea. Sounds like we'll get rain and a blow here, but nothing worse than that. But I'll be off to NYC again tomorrow, down and back...I hope it isn't a deluge! Good luck getting everything ready for your craft show. Holiday shopping, uugh, don't even mention it...

Hey Pauly, it would be great to hear from you!

Chipping away here at some projects I've been contracted for, and trying to cook good food for myself and the dogs - right now those are the priorities. Hope all is well on this Thursday night for you all -

Just heard about Oregon. Sending prayers...

Comment

Good morning...

It was lovely outside yesterday in the Midwest. I had a busy and productive day at work. Today I am off for Grandparent's Day. I am so excited, it will be filled with lots of cuteness. Then, home to rest and take it easy for the rest of the day. I went to a really interesting seminar yesterday for women about planning for retirement and it was filled with lots of common sense suggestions, that I plan to work on this weekend. They think everyone should plan to live to 90 years old, but the reality is we just don't know. It seems to me someone gets sick unexpectedly and then quality of life can just be gone. So, my opinion is that we should enjoy today, travel now if we can and that is what we want to do. I am more content working and being with family, with an occasional trip here and there. Sounds boring, right? I don't care. Too much traveling is disruptive to me. I love routine.

Lav, so great you have your lady friends to have lunch to share and laugh. Have fun with your crafts!

Dill, you had lunch out too, how fun.

Cyn, enjoy your time in the city, it is fun to live by a big city, lots to do, then home to peace and quiet.

Have a good one.

Comment

Hello friends,

Star, how fun to be able to go to Grandparent's Day! I am assuming you are going to your gson's day care? I hope you tell us a little bit about it tomorrow. Yesterday's weather was definitely Autumnal but for some reason I could not get warm. The wind in our area was pretty strong so when I met with my gf for lunch we decided not to walk. We had a nice lunch and got caught up with heach other. I am grateful that working all those years provided me with an income doing something I loved doing; working with children. But at the moment I am most grateful for the friendships that I made with some of my colleagues, especially the ones that have carried on into retirement. Interesting about the retirement seminar. Mr. D and I are comfortable in our retirement so far, but we haven't got enough money to do a lot of travel in a significant way. But I'm ok with that. Like you, I like my routine. So small trips with family as destination will have to do.

Cyn, it's funny you told me about the tiny little numbers. I had noticed them but didn't see footnotes at the bottom of the pages so I just ignored them. Yesterday, after you had mentioned the notes at the back of the book, I followed the number to the back of the book and yes, it made the book all the more rich for the reading! I was reading the part about the last of the Templars being burned at the stake on the Island of the Jews and when I followed the number I found an explantation about the island being a place where so many Jews had been executed that they called it the Island of the Jews. I would have missed the detail. I am going to go back and read the other footnotes and hope that they offer more clarity and detail to what I have read so far. What a barbaric time in history. I suppose hundreds of years from now historians will be writing about the senseless barbarity of our age.

Lav, post us a picture if you can of your booth (and you) at the craft fair. That would be fun to see. I hope it is successful for you and all the other vendors.

Pauly, get back here! Come on!

I don't know what this day holds, I have no plans. That's one of the best things about retirement! Have a good af Friday everyone.
            Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Morning friends,I can't believe its October already, don't want to deal with the holidays again, even though I do love that part of the year when its here,a certain part of me just dreads it too,back on day 3 as I let recent bad anxiety get to me Ihhaven't had it that bad in 8 years,usually I can think my way out of it,nap it off,run it off or just let it pass,this was physical and waking me up,I know it sounds like an excuse, sheesh,I've had so many excuses over these quitting years it makes my head spin,but honestly I didn't know what else to do and I knew that a drink(or ten) would knock it out for a bit,I wish I didn't know that...but I'm here,not drinking,formulating yet another plan,I'm starting to really believe it's hormonal,when I was in my 20's I went on birth control pills,they made me crazy!! Tried several and the effect was always the same,now I'm thinking I'm 42,started my period at 10, its been a long time, my cycle either lasts 10 days or goes 2,stops then starts again, so weird,anyways TMI for this Friday morning but I've been considering this for awhile but its only gotten worse this past year and a half,I hope everyone has a nice Friday
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning friends,

Taking my sweet old time getting started this morning but who cares? That's what these older years are all about, right? Raining & dark, 50 degrees so it's not exactly motivating weather but better than a hurricane.
                I am feeling sad about yesterday's school shooting, when does this craziness stop?

Star, planning to live to 90? If that happens it would be a first in my family. They all started disappearing in their 60's & 70's, no one ever made it to 80. I am doing my best though, I really am.
                I hope you enjoy Grandparents day festivities

Dill, I participate in this craft show every year though crafts are really not 'my thing'. It's kind of a stretch for me but I do like to challenge myself a bit
                Enjoy your day, whatever pops up!

Pauly, you are at the exact age I was when I experienced the same exact symptoms!!!!!!
                I've had a feeling all along that that's what is causing your problems. Trying to function with unbalanced hormones is like trying to live without oxygen - no kidding!!! I sat in my Gyn office & absolutely insisted she test my FSH & estradiol levels. Sure enough, the next day she called me at work & said 'You are in menopause'! NO SH*T!!! It doesn't matter if you're 42 or 52, when you experience symptoms, you experience symptoms. These changes are not always gradual, sometimes they happen rather suddenly. Please go see someone & don't let them blow you off because you are 'too young'.
                Getting on HRT made a huge difference, there was no choice for me. I can honestly say I know exactly how you feel :hug:

OK, I need to push myself out the door & get to Curves. It keeps me happy & healthy in the long run!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav,last time I went to the doctor she said I was still of childbearing age, bull!! That factory is closed haha,also I asked her about the hormone panel they ran on me which were normal but she said the test isn't very accurate, its really hard to find a good doc when your insurance sucks!
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

You know what Pauly? Women can be 60 & still have babies in this day & age with a little in-vitro help
                    Menopause can start at ANY age, they should know that! And there's always the possibility of primary ovarian failure which I have witnessed in at least two 30 something women. Damn these doctors. See if you can find a female doc, especially one who specializes in handling menopause symptoms - they are out there!!! Sometimes you just have to make demands to get the right treatment. Good luck!
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good Friday eve to all -

I'm at home - didn't have to go into the city, and I'm so grateful. Off to bed in a bit; I'm fighting off some bug. I've used all the things in my arsenal - oh wait, I haven't made an apple cider vinegar tea. OK, I'll do that before going to bed. Anyway, I've been beating this bug back for 2 weeks now, and I thought I had it licked. We'll see...

Pauly - good luck with the hormones - keep at it. You might try to stay away from food additives - that has helped me some. But mostly, HRT has been the ticket.

Hope everybody stays well and warm tonight. I have a room heater that is keeping the bedroom warm...I just can't turn on the heat yet! I feel fine, but I think the dogs would prefer a little more warmth...

Off to make my hot toddy for nite nite. Wishing all a great AF Friday night and happy Saturday -

Comment

Good morning...

Dill, you asked about Grandparent's Day. It was at his daycare and we did a craft, played with him and the other toddlers, went outside, had a picture taken, and went to a book fair. It was a wonderful day. He was so happy we were there. It is really alot cooler here too,and today is rainy and cold. I have to dig out my winter stuff and clean out my closet. It is fall for sure.

Lav, Pauly, Cyn, I was lucky I had hot flashes but that was about it. If you need help it is hard to get it, my thoughts on doctors are best left unsaid. I think what Pauly wants and needs is to be heard and treated accordingly.

Busy today, lots of cleaning, cooking, shopping, and then reading. A great Saturday. Have a good one.

Comment

Good Saturday morning friends!

It's a damp & chilly 48 degrees here - yep, feels like Fall!
                          I turned off the AC a few days ago, ha ha. I have stored away the chicken house fans & closed one of their windows too

Cyn, I hope your hot toddy helped. I keep a piece of ginger, peeled & wrapped in my freezer & like to add a few slices to a cup of decaf green tea - makes me feel better. I actually woke up a few times last night feeling chilly not overheated for a change, ha ha!

You probably all know my take on doctors by now. If you don't like the one you have, fire him & find another just like you would with a plumber or electrician!!! No one on the planet knows better than the patient herself & if she says something is wrong then something is wrong!!! I really think a female doc or nurse practitioner is more likely to sit with you, listen & respond accordingly. I hope you find the right person Pauly!

Star, sounds like you had a nice day yesterday, that's great! I love those special moments with the kids

Hello to Dill!

Have a great day everyone. I'll be in the kitchen making meatballs today, ha ha!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning all...

Lav, meatballs sound really good! I joined weight watchers yesterday, my weight is out of control. I am optimistic that I can get to where I want to be within several months. I know it is not a quick fix. I have alot of work to do, and it is OK. I AM optimistic about it. I think I will borrow your ginger idea, I have been taking vitamins, but should do some smoothies for dinner. Ginger is such a good spice(?) to have around. I am going to be on my own this week and next more often. This will give me an opportunity to do things for myself. I love this cooler weather. I never got around to my closet yesterday, but have plans today. There is some thing about fall that makes me want change, positive change. What do you have planned for your Sunday?

Cyn, Dill, Pauly, hope your weekend is going well. Have a good one.

Comment

Hello friends, sorry for my absence yesterday. I had both gkids overnight Friday and most of Saturday. We took gson home Saturday afternoon so he could be in his football game (in the rain!) but decided to keep gdaughter with us so she wouldn't have to sit at a football game in the rain. She has the sniffles already, so it wouldn't have done her a bit of good! It worked out well tho bc she wanted to spend another night. So, I was pretty distracted and never had any time to myself for posting.

Star, well done on taking the bull by the horns and joining ww! You have been thru so many changes in such a short time it's no wonder you've let the weight tick up. You are settled and at a point where you can focus on it now. Holiday season is nearly upon us so I think it is a good time to join ww. I have let my weight sneak upwards too. I can't claim a good reason tho! I have started about a week ago cutting back on carbs: sugar, bread, potatoes. I have lost a half pound just doing that! But as you say, it will take time so I must be patient.

Lav, I love my doc. She is so caring, thorough, efficient. Even though I only see her every 6 months and she has a very busy practice (the good ones always do) she always remembers to ask me about my family and she remembers my personal struggles and stresses. I'm always amazed. Anyway, the one thing I wish I had NOT done was ask her for help with my al dependency years ago. Now it is part of my permanent medical record and everytime I go see her she asks me about it. I hate that. I especially hate the fact that medical records are electronic so they can easily be seen by other medical people. So I've essentially labelled myself and I don't care how far we have come as a society in treating addictions, there is still a stigma. The kicker is one time she told me that she would NEVER had known I had an al issue if I had not told her. And my recovery from al was all on me. The medication and counselling she ordered neither one helped. My counsellor was young and had no background in al dependency. I taught her more than she helped me!

Cyn, I hope you are feeling OK. I am still making my way very gradually thru The Iron King. I simply haven't had time for reading lately. But this afternoon, after the house settles down, I will have time to curl up with my book!

Pauly, sorry you are having so much trouble with anxiety. I know the feeling very well and it is terrible. I was wondering if it might not be PAWS? It sure sounded like it to me. I'm sure the hormones made is worse. Hang in there! Do you have any support groups in your real world besided MWO? I think you need people to call when you are feeling that overwhelming need to drink. There's a lot of research that says support groups are extremely helpful in recovery.

It's going to get up to 70 degrees here today and no rain! Hurray! I'll squeeze in a nice walk later on. Have a good AF Sunday everyone.
                              Last edited by dill; October 4, 2015, 06:16 AM.
                              Dill

Comment

Working...
                              X