Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression/Anxiety/Alcohol/Questions 30/6/07

Hello everyone :-)

I don't think I have cut down but am keeping a drinking diary, including what I drink ,how much and where,(at home by myself is a constant) what mood I am in, with who and how much it's costing.. I am 2 weeks on here..

Week one was 48 standard drinks (post making an idiot of myself) and this week is 70 plus.. That's 9 bottles of wine a week! (I think a reasonable goal would be to cut it in half)

I had no idea what a piss head I am!

Yet, I go to work every day (run my own business) .. I run 4kms or am at the gym for an hour, doing weights almost every night and eat nothing but lean meat, veggies and wholegrain bread (I must be mad)

I need to sort it out but have other issues..Have suffered depression for the last 7 years..(not usually terrible...just once! But enough to stop me being me.... as well as making me a little unsure of myself, which I hate the most)

I haven't been on a date for over 3 years (and I am hot! LOL)

Have stopped Prozac (under my own advice) So things have been a little up and down with withdrawal (I get teary if I see a cute puppy or a couple in love on the TV at the moment...and get angry for no reason....Yes, I know what what it's like for all you women who suffer PMT (I have years of feeling that way)

Anyway, I'm getting side tracked...

Just wondering how many of you have mental health issues (depression, anxiety, Bipolar, schitsophenia (sorry, I am a bad speller) as well as alcohol problems?

David xxx
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
    Oscar Wilde

I also wonder how many of you have posted on here while drunk? ...lol
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

David, I think a lot of members have suffered with depression or other issues. I believe they go hand in hand with alcohol use.

Are you reading the book or following the program? Keeping a diary is a good start but if you want to change your drinking you probably need to use some of the tools.

Good luck.

Comment

Cheers Ducky :-)

I am not using any of the tools...

Am taking vitamin B, L-Glutamine, omega 3, multivitamins..all contain the essential drug placebo...lol
        Oscar Wilde

Comment

Man...2 weeks of drinking diary and I am shocked...I knew I was drinking too much but...WOW!
          I am an alcoholic.. I cant stop even though I have realised how much wine I HAVE TO HAVE..

I am very unhappy
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

Hey David,
            Like you, I have suffered depression off and on for years. And, just like you I take myself off the antidepressents when I think I don't need them only to come to the realisation a while later (after putting my family through hell with my moods and irrational behavior) that maybe I do need them And another thing like you - I'm now drinking 9-10 bottles of wine a week and am disgusted with myself and know I need to do something NOW but I'm kinda scared to take that first step. Then I started a post asking for advice and you amongst others replied. The support you guys gave me has helped me get resolved to starting the program properly as soon as my topa and all the supps/cd's arrive. Shall I remind you what you said to me - maybe you should take your own very good advice. You said "The moment you stop doing this, is the moment you become lost..." Don't give up and become lost. You know what you're dealing with now and although it is depressing, it can be beaten. So come on, lets do this together - we're both in the same boat and we can suceed. What do you say?
            "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson :rays:

Comment

Hi David,

I've suffered from depression for as long as I can remember, but it started at puberty I guess. I have often wondered which came first the drinking or the depression, a bit like the "chicken and the egg question" but for me it doesn't really matter in the end.

What I absolutley do know is they both feed each other if I let them and I can end up wth a very chaotic mind. I even think I may be a little Bi-Polar (I think there are grades) but I have never had this looked into.

I take antidepressants now, which only really work if you cut out the drink, and actually I have found that ssri's in particular make my depression very bad if I drink on top of them.

I am currently on my longest stint ever of being af at 12 days and my mood has improved greatly. For the first time I am able to think clearly and rationally, in fact I am able to think before I react which is astonishing for me.

I'm sorry you are so unhappy. Why don't you try the CD's etc. I guarantee that if you try a few you will find something beneficial. There are lots of things to try and loads of info here, and RJ's book is wonderful, you can download it from the site.

Your drink diary sounds good, and I agree you should try reduce your intake then go for some af days, they really do give you some clarity.

Good luck David, keep reading and posting and you'll soon be making progress.

Kitty
              Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
              Confucius

Comment

yes, the moment you stop doing what YOU want to do IS the moment you are lost..

I AM lost but sure I can find my way back (I'm not talking about alcohol)

I sweat when I have to talk to someone while buying jeans...

I cry for a few minutes every night...

I would rather stay home by myself lonely, than call a friend...

Drinking makes it all worse...

I am going to try a clinical psychologist before I return to meds...

I am 37, all my friends are married and have kids and I am the lonely bloke...
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

David you sound like a really nice person. I think you can get a handle on this, you have already made several good steps. I think going to a psychologist is a great idea. I hope you find a good one. Keep posting. I have posted drunk but no one has ever held it against me. As long as you don't get nasty with anyone people are understanding of it.
                  Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Yes you can find your way back and a psychologist is a great place to start. Make an appointment ASAP and keep us posted. We're all pulling for you and hate to hear you feeling so down.
                    "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson :rays:

Comment

I'll just shut up now :-)
                      Oscar Wilde

Comment

You don't need to shut up lol!!

Comment

It's hard to be in your late 30s and feel left behind.

But drinking isn't a solution for that. I hope you find a good therapist. Make sure to interview them over the phone first and get one with a direct approach, someone who will share opinions with you and guide you not just sit there passively.

Comment

Hi David,

I suffer from anxiety and depression. Have reduced my drinking enormously these past 3 wks., and whilst not being anxiety- free or completely uplifted, I do feel a whole lot calmer, so think drink does fuel these things.

Good luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Starlight, I have no doubt that alcohol impacts enormously on my state of mind..

I cant see a way out of it right now...

I am just starting to try...

Depression/anxiety=drinking, drinking = anxiety depression, I know...

Bollocks...
                              Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X