Day 12. It's getting easier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe this but I'm on track to be 2 weeks alcohol free. I NEVER thought I would be able to do that. I still really want to drink but the cravings are not causing as much angst.. I am finally looking better, not so haggard. Best of all is the general sense of well being I feel throughout the day. This is a very good thing. My brain is still asking when I can drink again. I am curious what will happen to my tolerance if I was to have some drinks. Would there be a hangover from a few glasses of wine? Well, I will worry about that some other time. For today, I will not drink!

Well good for you noma'am, two weeks is brilliant.
    Tell your brain to wait, wait and wait some more, it will get the message.
    Congratulations for up to now.
    Pips
    Pipsqueak

Comment

Hi Nomam

Well done - it does get easier doesn't it? You're doing really well . . . . . . . . . I like not having to face the witchin hour - it comes and goes and I don't think of it . . . . Congratulations to you . . . . . .
      Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Nom'am, good for you!!! I'm so glad to hear it is getting easier. . . I'm at evening 7, can't believe I made it this far. Actually having a rough time tonight, my kids are being terrible (especially my 15 year old daughter - what a b**tch! - haha). Wait, no really, she is. I am snappy and pissed off. I want a drink badly but am passed my drinking start time, so may as well keep going. Feeling down, but I'm sure tomorrow morning I'll feel wonderful again. . .
        Pip, I like your comment about telling your brain to wait, wait, wait. If I can just get from 4 - 7pm, I can make it. The toughest three hours ever, but need to keep reminding myself it is just three hours.
        You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Congrats Noma'am! 12 days is an accomplishment.

River, on your thoughts, what is it about those three hours that take us down time and again???
          "The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don?t want it badly enough." - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Comment

Congrats, we are on the same day together,...I am day 12 today too. Feeling really good. Lets keep this up....
            Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

aplgrl,
              I think it is mostly habit? For 20 years or so (I'm 40, so half my life), my husband and I would get home from work and just sit down to a beer or cocktail to relax. It became an every day thing and I really started to look forward to it. At 5 my mind is just craving that "release".
              I guess it's just a habit that needs to be broken. I've started working out at 5. By the time I am done with the treadmill, I'm so starving that I pig out. And then what's the point of drinking on a full stomach when I'm too full to catch a buzz? I used to skip dinner at night because who wants to kill the buzz with food - that would just be silly
              Trying to retrain my habits, walks to park with the kids, things I never did before after 5 because I needed to be close to the liquor cabinet.
              Boy, am I crabby to my husband tonight! I suppose cuz he's drinking and just bugging the crap out of me, leaving his glass lying around, mixing in front of me. When I listen to the hypnotic CD he shakes me and jokes "do you want a beer?". Uhhhh!!!! It's a wonder I've made it this far. Wonder how many marriages suffer when one partner quits or drastically cuts down. . . any thoughts on that, anyone?

Comment

River,

You made me laugh with the comment about your hubby shaking you while you're listining to your CD. When I listen to my hypnosis on my iPOD, mine will come up and put his face up to mine and put his nose up to mine almost touching until i can feel him breathing on me. He thinks he's being hysterical....NOT!

In answer to your question about when one stops drinking and the other doesn't.....I can say that for me, (my husband doesn't drink), he definitley has taken notice that I am more on my "toes" if you will. I have a re-newed confidence in myself. He sees me taking care of myself and he can no longer be critical of me for my drinking. And honestly, I'm not perfect, but it was his biggest criticism of me. I'm one step closer to Princess-hood, if you know what I mean....LOL. He'll just probably have to start finding new flaws in me...

SD
                Take everything in moderation. Including moderation.

Comment

Oh, and Aplgrl,

How are you doing on your meds? Did you get the topa? I've been hoping you are well.

Sun

Comment

River, my husband hardly drinks so I can't be much help to you. You did make me lol!

SheDaisy, my doctor had never prescibed topa, so he put me on antabuse - day 5 AF - and that's saying alot for me! My husband and kids left the morning of day 2 for a week for a work/vacation trip they've had planned for a few months. It turns out timing couldn't have been better. Instead of curling up with a bottle (or two) for the week, I've been lying low. Other than my job and taking care of my dog, I have very little stress. There are no groceries to get, no meals to cook and no one to argue with - except my dog who stares me down to play with her. Ha! I still think about "going out for happy hour" but my dog needs to be let out since the family is gone and the antabuse will literally make me sick if I drink. On to day 6...
                    aplgrl
                    "The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don?t want it badly enough." - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Comment

Aplgrl,

Good for you on Day 5! And yes on the timing. Take care of yourself this week and I'll be thinking of you. At least you have your dog with you to keep you company!

Sun

Comment

Noma'am, so proud of you. Keep going.
                        River, there is nothing worse then a 15 daughter, bitch is almost an understatement. But take heart, mine is now 18 and back to her sweet old self
                        River, I still get awfully irritable but theb I'm menopausal as well.
                        Have a great AF day everyone.
                        Jessie
                        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Good morning, all! One more day AF under my belt - today is 8. I'm feeling hopeful about making it to at least 14. We are going out of town for the 4th to in-laws, and I won't drink there (don't want them to see me like that), so I feel "safe" for the weekend.
                          I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have turned into this big lush if it weren't for my husband constantly trying to get me to party with him. He practically is pouring it down my throat. I mean it, he's really a bad influence. He gets upset with me when I work out, he just wants to me drink and watch TV with him. He's actually a very fun, silly guy, I've always described his as "Arthur" (Dudley Moore drunk). Just a goofy boy, but bad for me.

I'm still "on-edge", grouchy etc. but it sounds like that is to be expected. I don't have shakes or anything like that, but I'm sure my body is screaming inside. My AllOne powder should arrive today. Has anyone found that to be a big help? I'm very excited to try it.
                          Well, best wishes to all for a happy, AF free day And if you don't make it, just keep "swimming, swimming, swimming" as Dori from Nemo would say!
                          Hugs to All! XXX
                          P.S. Love your signature line SunDaisy!

Comment

How you doing today? Thinking of you.

Px
                            Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

River I absolutely love the all-one powder, so much so that Im pretty sure I will be ordering it well after my 30 days is over.

Comment

Working...
                              X