No announcement yet.

Online Media Toolbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the welcome NoSugar, glad to be here!
    “There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that. . . . But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.”

Comment

This Infographic Shows How Alcohol Contributes to Weight Gain

Saw this on this blog today (the infographic is more towards the bottom of the link..tried to add as attachment too, but its hard to see)..pretty interesting though

This Infographic Shows How Alcohol Contributes to Weight Gain

calories.jpg
      “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Hi,

I enjoyed these blogs:

Unpickled
        Mrs. D is Going Without
        The Six Year Hangover

Also, in addition to the books mentioned above:

Drinking, a Love Story (I think we've all heard of that one) - Knapp
        Drunkard: A Hard Drinking Live - Steinberg

Comment

Repost from the Newbies Nest:

Turnagain, I listened to a couple more of the McCauley talks you directed me to. I think anyone who is trying to understand addiction and how both our limbic and rational brains ultimately get involved in the whole mess might like the "Going to the Edge" audio or video talks available here (# 5 is the same speaker and also is an interesting, similar talk):

1 ExplicitDr. Boone's Lecture to the Family Dr. Boone's Lecture to the Family 11/5/12 Free View In iTunes
          2 ExplicitVideoGoing to the Edge of Current Neuroscience of Addiction(Video) Going to the Edge of Current Neuroscience of Addiction - Dr. Kevin McCauley(Video) 4/28/09 Free View In iTunes
          3 ExplicitGoing to the Edge of Current Neuroscience of Addiction(Audio Only) Going to the Edge of Current Neuroscience of Addiction - Dr. Kevin McCauley(Audio Only) 4/27/09 Free View In iTunes
          4 ExplicitChris R. from Ingram, TX - La Hacienda Family Lecture Chris R. from Ingram, TX - "La Hacienda Family Lecture" - From Hunt, TX 3/6/09 Free View In iTunes
          5 ExplicitDr. McCauley, MD - Addiction: Is it really a Disease? Dr. McCauley, MD - "Addiction: Is it really a Disease?" - From Corona del Mar, CA 9/18/2004 10/16/08 Free View In iTunes
          Unfortunately the sound quality isn't great on either the audio or video but worth the effort, I think.

Comment

A rational argument for why no one should drink alcohol:
            Aurelijus Veryga has a PhD in biomedicine sciences, is associate professor at Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, research worker at biomedicine resear...

Does Safe Alcohol Use Exist? Aurelijus Veryga at TEDxVilnius

Comment

Here's a link that Fin just posted in the newbies nest. A discussion panel talking a little about the neuroscience of addiction. Includes 2 'recovering' addicts. Circa 2012. Runs 53mins. Very much worth a look.

What can current brain science tell us about addiction? As part of The Agenda's Mental Health Matters series, we visit the roots of addiction.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Writer Ann Dowsett-Johnston. TED talk. 18 mins.

In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TED...

And another TED talk. Margo Talbot. Climbing out of addiction and depression. Love this one. 10mins.

Talk OverviewCurrent research suggests that addiction and depression are symptoms of emotional distress, not causes of it, forging the link between childhood...

Reclaim your brain from addictive living. Dr Pam Peeke. 13.54 mins. More on general addictions than AL focused.

See more at: http://tedxwallstreet.com/Dr. Pamela Peeke is an internationally renowned physician, scientist and expert in the fields of nutrition, metabolism...
                Last edited by Guitarista; December 7, 2014, 09:48 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

This guy makes a lot of sense to me. Addiction and self trust. TED talk 10 mins.

A former drug addict himself, Lewis now researches addiction. In order to get over ones addiction, he explains, self-trust is necessary. Unfortunately, self-...

Comment

I agree with you about Marc Lewis, Mr. G. I ordered his book from the library after I had listened to the panel discussion earlier today. The video you posted makes me even more eager to read his book!

Comment

Here's an interesting short animation that shows how sugar impacts are brains. It delves a bit into how drugs, like alcohol, also impact the same systems. No surprise there, tho, since alcohol is the jet fuel of sugars!

When you eat something loaded with sugar, your taste buds, your gut and your brain all take notice. This activation of your reward system is not unlike how bodies process addictive substances such as alcohol or nicotine -- an overload of sugar spikes dopamine levels and leaves you craving more. Nicole Avena explains why sweets and treats should be enjoyed in moderation.
                      Sober for the Revolution!
                      AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

It is so hard to give up a short term reward even when we know that if we do, the longer term life rewards are of such greater value and in many instances, essential. It's a challenge even when the source of immediate gratification isn't something to which we're addicted so the situation when addiction is involved is all the worse! This video is so cute - it shows kids trying to delay gratification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_oy9614HQ
                        In this popular test, several kids wrestle with waiting to eat a marshmallow in hopes of a bigger prize. This video is a good illustration of temptation and the hope in future rewards. This experiment is based on many previous and similar scientific tests.
                        I so related to the boy near the end when, after resisting and resisting, he finally got his reward.

Comment

Dr. Marc D. Lewis discusses the story and the science behind his book Memoirs of an Addicted Brain. Lewis is a professor at the Behavioral Science Institute, part of Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands. Lewis's book documents the years he spent addicted to drugs including morphine and heroin, and links his first-hand drug experiences to his current behavioral science research into the interaction between drugs and brain chemistry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBPBcJlZlsA

Comment

NS, the above talk by Marc Lewis is brilliant, and essential viewing i reckon. Thanks for finding it.

Here's an interview with Gabor Mate talking about his work with addicts in Vancouver, and a bit about brain function and compulsion. Gabor is also a hardcore badass compulsive classical music C.D. shopper, and talks about the negative impacts of this. But seriously, he explains this connection with compulsion in drug use. Circa 2010 i think. 27mins. Worth a look.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                            Last edited by Guitarista; December 9, 2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

A 2014 U.S. study shows a glass of red wine may not be good for the heart after all.

Uh, guys? I think the entire health community might soon take back everything good it’s ever said about red wine and heart health: A huge […]

Comment

Thanks for the link, Mr. G. I deliberately believed those studies that alcohol was "good for you" and that, in fact, moderate drinkers were better off than tee-totallers. And even when I read the studies and saw the flaws, I just didn't let myself think about them very deeply and ran with the very convenient overall conclusions. But like your article says, the study that would provide good data can't be done: randomly assign a very large group of people to 2 subgroups and have one group exposed to a set amount of alcohol regularly and one not at all. Wait for many, many years and see what illnesses and how many deaths crop up in the 2 groups.

Alll those studies are done by doing complex statistical analyses on self-reported data from individuals about what and how much they drank over the years and what they ate and how much, and other lifestyle data. Then, the investigators look for statistical associations between all of those data and deaths, illnesses, etc. As we all know, correlation does not mean causation. Something else entirely could be causing both things or it could be just a coincidence. These studies are often done using data from thousands of people so sometimes the associations are really weak but because of the large number of observations, can be reported as statistically significant.

I'm a pretty big skeptic about the meaning of those types of studies. The study in the report you linked to is much more direct. There is a pretty good thought experiment we can all do, too:
                                Are cells that are bathed daily in a toxic, carcinogenic fluid, even a moderate amount of it, more or less healthy than cells that aren't :wink:???

Comment

Working...
                                X