Six and a half years later ~ A long time coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Six and a half years later ~ A long time coming

Lovely and truly stated - tbh unlike Jackie I prepared myself for the first sober Christmas in that I accepted it could be really crap but it IS only a short period of time and I'd get through it 'no matter what' - so in that way I'd prepared myself for all those potential minefields you describe and then - yeah there WERE times I felt a bit bah humbug but it wasn't that bad so in that way I felt proud of myself and then I found myself enjoying large chunks of it - but it ain't a great time for anyone struggling so we really need to shore up our heads in advance imo - lovely to see you so happy and confident tabs xx
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

A wonderful timely post Tabs, thank you.

Comment

Hi, KTABs,

JC - GREAT sentiment.

I'm am odd in that I really, really don't like Christmas. There are many reasons for this, and there are some things about it that I like, but overall, I count the days until Jan. 1 and the "holiday season" is over. I had NO idea how I would get through sober - drink was the only thing that made it tolerable for me I thought.

Well, as usual, it turns out that being sober improved the situation. My tips for a sober (and great) holiday season:

1. Always bring your own drink to parties. You can't rely on hosts to have good, non-alcoholic drinks, I am sorry to say. I am amazed at how many people don't think about this.
        2. Always have your escape route and your own way home. I got stuck a couple of places because my ride didn't want to leave. Now I never go to a holiday event without my own car. When I get tired, bored, or just done with talking with slurring people, I hop in my car and head home. I have given up FOMO (fear of missing out), and no longer need to be the last at a party. Get in, have fun, get out. That's my motto.
        3. Say no. This was VERY hard for me at first, but now I feel very comfortable in saying "no" to parties, events and get-togethers. There is no possible way to do it all and stay sane. If I need and want, I stay home, or I only attend the events I really want to go to. I think in the sober vernacular, this is called setting boundaries. I call it staying sane.

My prediction is that you will have a great holiday season, sober and happy.

xo
        Pav
        Last edited by Pavati; November 12, 2017, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post folks, I will certainly bear your thoughts in mind.
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Your time has come Tabbers, congratulations!
            Last edited by abcowboy; January 1, 2018, 08:57 AM.
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Huge accomplishment Tabbers.....you should be proud!

Comment

Top stuff mate!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

This to me is one of the most powerful, beautifully written threads on MWO so I'm bumping it for anyone who needs some encouragement that this can be done. And, if necessary, done again. There is always hope. Thank you for this, @Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB).
                  Last edited by NoSugar; October 29, 2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X