X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: International Army April 2020

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
    [MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION]....cross post
    .....weird question...........how did two people get in together?
    I don't like people touching me under 'normal' circumstances.

Yep the poor old pangolin another one blamed for the virus.
    Well Jacks - if you knew Mad Margaret you wouldn't stop her either - the poor husband streels around in her shadow!!! Her eldest boy was in school with Adam --- intellectually brilliant -- the teachers were so aware of it they used to mind him and virtually mom and dad'd him -- he used to arrive in to school dirty and hungry - having got up to get his younger sisters dressed for school and given breakfast.. he was the loveliest little lad.. but the irony is - one of the older teachers told me years ago that he taught Margaret herself and she was really clever -- but got pregnant at 16 and was thrown out of home and well -- the rest is history!
    Never hear about the boy these days but her daughters are in and out of the library all the time - real bookworms --- strange old world isn't it!! very sad
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
      Well Jacks - if you knew Mad Margaret you wouldn't stop her either - the poor husband streels around in her shadow!!! Her eldest boy was in school with Adam --- intellectually brilliant -- the teachers were so aware of it they used to mind him and virtually mom and dad'd him -- he used to arrive in to school dirty and hungry - having got up to get his younger sisters dressed for school and given breakfast.. he was the loveliest little lad.. but the irony is - one of the older teachers told me years ago that he taught Margaret herself and she was really clever -- but got pregnant at 16 and was thrown out of home and well -- the rest is history!
      Never hear about the boy these days but her daughters are in and out of the library all the time - real bookworms --- strange old world isn't it!! very sad
      It is a strange world......we're seeing it now.

Actually just talked to Jenny and she was telling me the new security (at some shops) is made up of bouncers...........(she's still in touch with a few from when she worked at Revolution and having a natter on FB

and they are scary especially the female one............:egad:
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Survived the shop, to be honest it was not as bad as I expected. Seemed busier other weeks. Even got a small turkey for Easter Sunday dinner. Keeping busy Molly and my walks are keeping me sane, that and the garden.

Stupid woman Molly but a Lot of them here don’t seem to get the social distancing part of this which is probably the most important. All seemed to have masks and gloves on today but then a few of them nearly leaned over me to get something on a shelf. Felt like a leprechaun jumping back, might not be so polite next time. Oh and got stopped by police on my road on way home. Check points all over the place.

Comment

Quick hello from me!

First and foremost want to say that I am very glad to hear about your Mum, [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]!!!

As for the gloves and masks business - I just feel that someone should wear a mask to come into our store. If they have the virus and don't know it, they could cough and contaminate the store. I wear the gloves AND wash my hands and also use an alcohol-base hand sanitizer. I just feel more protected when we wear them. Psychological thing, I"m sure but we all do what we have to do...

Weather better today - supposed to go up to 20C on the weekend. Perfect weather to get out and about for a drive in my drop-top car. Not going to happen with the restrictions that we are not allowed to drive except for back and forth to work. I feel the need for sunshine and wind on my face. Not enjoying this being inside all the time. However, might get a bit of work done on my planters over the weekend since the weather will be beter. There is a back yard where I live but unfortunately the people who own the building couldn't care less about the upkeep. It's in bloom right now simply because it's full of wildflowers - pretty but gone wild. The front lawn needs to be mowed and I'd be happy to do it but they're a little indifferent as to how the yards look and I don't want them to think they have a tenant and gardener in one cause then they wouldn't hire someone to do the work. Nice enough people but as they say here in Greece, their pockets have crabs in them (as with pincers to grab yer fingers)!!!
          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

So lovely to hear someone saying 'couldn't care less' Stirly --- cannot for the LIFE of me understand why the Americans say 'could care less' - it doesn't make sense -- does it? Getcha re. the garden and the landlord -- you may get yourself an outside space that's pretty but also an unpaid 'job' as a gardener I'd settle for a few pots of my own alright!

Another lovely day here today - but the weather is due to change thankfully so that MIGHT keep the muppets at home... there are so few - the hugely vast majority of us are more than happy to 'stay at home' - get this bloody virus under some sort of control... but..... there's always a few.

Read a lovely article today about how - after this - we as a society should really look at the people who are keeping the countries -- the world actually - running -- it's not the CEO's or the professionals or the multi-millionaires -- it's the people in the shops the carers the postman the delivery people etc... I would love to think we've learnt that lesson but unfortunately I feel it will be all forgotten in the almighty quest to make money again (it goes without saying that the frontline medical people have my unreserved TOTAL admiration after this too )
            Last edited by mollyka; April 9, 2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

cannot for the LIFE of me understand why the Americans say 'could care less'
              Just lazy speech with the n't easily dropped and even if spoken, hard to hear. At least I've never seen it written as: I could care less.

It sounds like the Irish gov't is taking good care of you guys. I wish it were the same for the US and England. This forum already made the world seem smaller. The virus is showing us just how connected we all are.

Hope you all are doing well. It sure is a good thing humans are adaptable as they are --- and we've had practice with difficult change!

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                Just lazy speech with the n't easily dropped and even if spoken, hard to hear. At least I've never seen it written as: I could care less.

It sounds like the Irish gov't is taking good care of you guys. I wish it were the same for the US and England. This forum already made the world seem smaller. The virus is showing us just how connected we all are.

Hope you all are doing well. It sure is a good thing humans are adaptable as they are --- and we've had practice with difficult change!
                haven't we just - each and everyone of us changed our lives about completely - all here within the last 12 years at most .. so yeah - have to say the 'change' of the moment isn't bothering me at all - obviously the virus is bothering me enormously - but the lockdown - fine -- I could live like that for a year!!! Yes - our government (imo) are doing a pretty good job - our health service wasn't strong to start with - but huge steps have been taken already (private hospitals have been forcibly nationalised for the period of the crisis for instance) and I'm impressed at how they seem to be willing to take complete advice from experts - the fact that our Taoiseach (prime minister) is a medical doctor probably helps in that way.
                Didn't realise 'could care less' was just d'other one abbreviated -- and I've no problem with that -- we abbreviate all sorts here with our own mongrel English - we use a lot of expressions that translate directly from gaeilge that makes no sense to an outsider - just sounds ill grammatical -- for instance 'do be' -- as in 'they do be going down to get the bus' -- directly taken from irish. I notice English people say 'sat' instead of 'sitting' - as in 'he was sat in the pub' -- dunno what that originates from!! oh don't mind me - I've too much time on my hands:welldone:
                Good to see you NS ---- Trump seems to read from a script - sounds vaguely intelligent - then looks up and the rubbish spouts again!! The international media seem impressed with Cuomo (spl) is he the governor of New York -- seems to be doing the right things in a difficult situation -- no idea bout other states - we don't hear about them much -- 'cept Wisconsin and the voting -----jeeeeez!

Comment

Just back from our 6 minute country wide applaud for the keyworkers during the virus.

Just back from our 6 minute country wide applaud for the keyworkers during the virus.

Coronavirus UK: Third 'Clap for Carers' to be held tonight for NHS | Metro News

[MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]..........just to let you know.......the UK (England/ScotlandWales, Northern Ireland)/is on very similar footing to the rest of Europe.
                  The police have new powers of arrest.
                  And if some of the few oinks that keep flouting them they'll get tougher. Its like a massive ghost town out there.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - NHS
                  - NHS

Mr JC has to have an official letter to say he can travel to work...............just 10 miles away to pick up documents.............most of its done by video calls.
                  My in-laws are in a 12 week lockdown as well as an Aunt who is 78.
                  Yesterday I went out for the first time in four weeks..............I think I saw about 10 people all social distancing and doing our best.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

And Boris is out of ICU He might not belong to my party but he's kept to listening to his experts.........he doesn't make it up as he goes along and I rather like him.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Coronavirus UK: Third 'Clap for Carers' to be held tonight for NHS | Metro News

[MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]..........just to let you know.......the UK (England/ScotlandWales, Northern Ireland)/is on very similar footing to the rest of Europe.
                      The police have new powers of arrest.
                      And if some of the few oinks that keep flouting them they'll get tougher. Its like a massive ghost town out there.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - NHS
                      - NHS

Mr JC has to have an official letter to say he can travel to work...............just 10 miles away to pick up documents.............most of its done by video calls.
                      My in-laws are in a 12 week lockdown as well as an Aunt who is 78.
                      Yesterday I went out for the first time in four weeks..............I think I saw about 10 people all social distancing and doing our best.
                      Same as here really..well course it is cos we have a border with N.Ireland and there's no problems with differences...glad he's ok..!!

Comment

NI's abroad to us.............
                        They're closing the Lake District this weekend. Well not to the one's that actually live there but those who have second homes & visitors. Should be interesting.

Mr JC's got a lads night in planned for tomorrow night..............another whatsapp group.....
                        they sit having a beer and insulting each other on the phone rather than face to face in a pub.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I can't ABIDE the phone...I really really can't..so just don't 'get' the zoom and Skype and all...so glad none of my family not that keen either..Jill and I used to Skype when she was in Canada..all that delay and the talking over each other...nah ..I'm good for that!!!

Comment

My thought was as it just theneighbours they could sit in the garden and shout at each other. I could get the play pen out of the loft to make sure they stayed two metres apart.
                            I can't bear skype, zoom, face time. Tried it with Jenny......it was sooooooooooo bad........ended up ringing from the house phone.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi all.
                              I need a good Netflix series... any thoughts? I've watched the obvious ones.

Yes, I have my letter to travel to work too, but dont intend to use it. I am mostly done now until Tuesday, YAY. Loads of projects on for the next 4 days - house stuff. Ive a double shop to do tomorrow, my folks and ours. Dont know how I had time for anything else before!

My friend just called, shes been exposed and is raging mad. She just did a stint of isolation last month as she was potentially exposed then also. She was working late (another essential service) and as the porter was letting her out the gates, he actually coughed into her face . He said he was grand as he didn't have a high temperature, but she could see his breathing was labored. She is livid and upset and rightly so.

And on that cheery note, good night all, knocking off the lights.
                              AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Mr JC's got a lads night in planned for tomorrow night..............another whatsapp group.....
                                they sit having a beer and insulting each other on the phone rather than face to face in a pub.

:harhar:
                                If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                                Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Working...
                                X