the beauty of this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the beauty of this site

the beauty of this site are we are real people from all kinds of different lifestyles professions and background yet we all share the same dreaded illness:yukko:alcoholism others more than others ie speaking for myself im an all out person either put all effort in to something or nothing atall(no moderation i was kidding myself on) but we all have our different problems and its easier behind a pc screen to help each other as a problem shared is a problem halved and you wont get judged where i live its remote and if your seen going to the aa as a major scandal especially when you fall by the wayside people say i told you so!!!!.........so i personally feel this site works for me youve welcomed me back and its:h warming
    what do others think please post!!!

god blessyas mitch:l
    Nothing improves the memory more than trying to forget.

the beauty of this site

i reckon youve hit the nail on the head there - it is awful to feel judged and have people look down there nose at you. the beauty of this site is that it doesn't happen here and people are always willing to help:l . I find that at my age (25) people just laugh at me if i speak up and say i have a problem as everybody is binge drinking and going out at the weekend. what they don't see is the knock on effect at home and at work and the problems it causes me as they all seem to have that 'off button' that i just cant find!

the beauty is that every time ive come on here looking for help i have found it. i just hope that soon i will have learnt enough about this problem that i will be able to help people who need it. :h :h :h

Comment

the beauty of this site

This place has already helped me so much. In the past after horrific binges I've lied to myself and others that its a one-off, flu, mad cow disease, oh anything and when the effects have worn off then I end up believing my own lies, end up going down the same path and making the same mistakes. I can't do moderation and you have helped me to understand this. You've also helped me to realise that I'm not alone.

You've also helped me realise that there's no shame in this condition, and thats what it is. Its not a failing or a weakness but its a problem that we need help with.

I remember visiting my parents a few years ago and after a night of very heavy drinking my hand shook so violently that the cup of coffee I was holding went all over the carpet and I was telling people I sneezed! I am now realising that I can tell people it wasn't a sneeze and you've helped me to do that.

Comment

the beauty of this site

Totally agree mitch.........the anonymity we have here is a very significant part of all this. Personally, I would be mortified at the thought of "blowing my cover" by going to AA or such like........just couldn`t handle the stigma of others in the community knowing I couldn`t control my drinking in the past........the only people aware of my drinking problem are my mother(she`s still in denial over it though!!! lol), my doc and all my wonderful M.W.O. friends.

Glad you`re back mitch, and like you say, noone here will ever decry us if we slip.......to hell with the real world.........where our common drink problem is concerned, M.W.O. is the real world with real people who really care. I owe my sobriety to all those I`ve had the privilege to meet right here.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

the beauty of this site

Mitch: I could never have gotten as far as I have wo/MWO. I've been struggling w/alcoholism (in my case, I'm not afraid to call it that) for about 5 - 7 years. During the last 3 - 4 years, I mostly drank alone...not good at all. I came to MWO in April & had erratic progress until July 10th. Even through the drinking during that period, I came here daily. From July 10th until the middle of Sept, I was AF. I really felt great physically, mentally, & spiritually. I slipped twice in Sept, but I got right back into my program on Sept. 24th. Since then, I've been AF. I haven't had this much sobriety in years & years. I could never have done it wo/MWO. I'm so glad you're here. Without you & all my other friends, there wouldn't be any MWO. If you're a newbie the "Newbie in Need ODAT" thread is very good. I check in there daily. Good luck, Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

the beauty of this site

I so agree - but everyone here is almost more real than in my town; there/here folk seem to hide behind almost anything they can think of....perhaps they have a 'guilty secret' too?! But here at MWO I feel I can be the real me and feel welcomed and listened to and genuinely listen to others. Then I take that out to my town and it's good....no matter how others are I know I am being fine!!

I went to AA and didn't meet a soul I knew but find it odd to meet them in the street; either folk chat which is nice but I still wonder if anyone knows about them and might put 2+2 together and then I feel selfish, or we resolutely ignore each other (even in the same room at coffee after church!) which I find really weird.... makes me feel a real bad person...I don't here - I feel a good person! (I would of course honour the annonimity of AA (and here) but just not mention it or anything about how we'd met....but....)

My two best friends know about me stopping drinking, neither think I'm an alcoholic but I kind of see them apologise if they have a drink or just look at me as if I'm about to spontaneously explode or something!!! I don't like that! And I feel that if I had one they would think that was it; I really would explode (?!) and would certainly be being weak but here I would feel honoured and trusted in my decision to mod or booted up the bum and supported if it was a 'fall from grace'...! (I think and hope I've got that right anyway!!)

As far as I'm concerned I think MWO is the tops. And everyone on it. It's an honour to be part of it; it is for so many different people as you said Mitch....any level of wanting to change our relationship to the firewater!

I do have to say I feel weird about telling anyone else I know about it if I ever needed to; really selfish...of course I would but might stop feeling so able to be so open in case they realised who FMF was!!!! Bit bothered about that coz I would so want to 'let someone at MWO' to gain all it has to offer.... Has anyone had to 'deal' with that?

Great post Mitch.... good to 'see' you!
            Love FMF xx
            :heart: c: :heart:
            "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

the beauty of this site

I felt welcome and safe here at MWO, from the moment that I posted my story. In the course of a very short period of time, I have made some valued friendships.

I love the free exchange of ideas and informaton. Just about any question asked will recieve genuine and valuable feedback.

I believe that the true anonymity offers more freedom and lack f inhibitions than face to face.

I believe that this site and this program offers concrete hope and support for those of us that suffer with this hideous condition.

Thank you RJ for starting this and keeping it going, for sharing your story and your discoveries so all of us might benefit.

Thank you to all the other members here, for your support and friendship!

KateH
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

the beauty of this site

God you are right this site is beautiful i agree with every word you say especially people looking down on you....
                i can remember when i was little our neighbours look down on us. living in flats, they could hear every word my dad shouted out and they were not very nice words. that just bought back a memory.(sorry not very good at putting words together.)
                Finding my feet - yes i do feel the same. my friend told me about this site she stop drinking in aug and still not touch a drink, she would stock up her car boat with wine just in case she runs out. But i have not told her I have gone on this site.so i do feel selfish knowing am getting more support then her and she not.

Teardrop.X
                family is everything to me

Comment

the beauty of this site

My counsellor is of the opinion that now that I am 'vocal' about my own drinking problems that I am truly showing signs of a full recovery. I am no longer afraid that I am going to slip up. I have never felt that I was 'put down' because of it. Mind you, I'm still careful about who I tell I was a drunk. I certainly wouldn't tell the blokes at work that I supervise!

Teardrop, do not be concerned that you are getting 'more support' than your friend. If your friend asks for it, they will get it, simple as that. You are obviously asking and needing it, therefore you get it.
                  It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

the beauty of this site

wise words flip"youl only get the help if you look for it"thing is teardrop you could be on this site and and your friend could post to you and wouldnt even no it was you pure brilliant!!but if your really good friends then the problem shared problem halved buddy buddy system should help you out to abstain as well!!!but if you want to gain:anon: then dont give her your user name......but then again if your really really close friends watch in case either you or your friend falls by the way side it usually has a knock on effect!!!!..................

speaking through experience at the momment my mates lodging with me and i fell by the way side and it had a knock on effect with him he goes to aa i dont ive tried all that it works for him and this works for me id rather hide my:anon: so its every person to there own i suppose!i love starting a thread and people replying......it keeps me abs.....and keeps my mind thinking on how lucky we really have a beautifull site and you can go to it anytime of day or night when abstaining and the right people are there for you all the time you wonderfull people

what flips a superviser too:eeks: one of my posts on an earlier thread oops lol

keep on going day at a time lots of love mitch

Comment

the beauty of this site

The beauty of this place is....

The people!

Love

Satori
                      xxx
                      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

the beauty of this site

Oh Yea!!
                        :heart: c: :heart:
                        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

the beauty of this site

:rockon: good reply satori the beauty is the people who makes up the site!for me this is my wee escape just that few golden whatevers(hrs mins mmnts)how we relate and can speak to each other freely any part of the world i know your from scotland too you could live next door to me and i wouldnt know it yet we all share the same addiction!

so many :thanks: for that post to remind us we are there for each other and thats the real beauty

special:thanks: to rj for this beautifull site from mitch xxxx

ps rj ive not had a pm from you for sometime hope you are ok and keepig up tabs lol

Comment

the beauty of this site

Yes it definatley is a place of beauty! I feel right at home. Actually maybe more at home here than my real home because I am more honest with all of you than my family.
                            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

the beauty of this site

good reply:beach: it is true that we are honest with each other!and we do feel at home here with all the beauty spots in the world this ones mine(mwo)

how many times we keep things away from families yet the freedom of the site where you can share without facing face to face pure dead brilliant!!!!

my god fmf your well wanting to hide your annon hiding behind that sofa:H lol

luv mitch xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
                              X