Going for a month AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going for a month AF

I'm so full of admiration for all of you who are battling here. I've done a month before, 2 and a half weeks quite recently but then - well, then I seem to go on a bender. So, I would like to do the 1 month AF starting tomorrow (that seems very scary!) and I would really appreciate people's comments on how to keep going for the month and also how to not go on a bender when it's over!

Thank you.

uda

Going for a month AF

I have not done it yet Uda but I guess you just have to start one day at a time. That's what I'm doing. Sorry I don't have any great words of wisdom. Wait for the night shift. All the best to you.

Melissa
    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Going for a month AF

I've done the same (sober weeks and even months) and haven't really figured out why I fail to keep it up. What is it that triggers a relapse? I don't have an answer, but I do know that it is always preceded with what a psychiatrist calls "permissive thoughts"-- i.e. "just one drink won't hurt. I can keep it under control now...". So that's what I watch out for and as soon as I start to have those kinds of thoughts I whip out my list of reasons why I don't want to drink. That has been a big help to keep me going. My main reasons are all the awful things I did while drunk and how awful I felt and how hard it was to stop again ("It's easier to stay out than to get out.") and that I am killing myself.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Going for a month AF

Uda, I have managed 4 months af, after years of drinking. I did take the topa after reading the mwo book, also kudzu and the other supps. I say to myself every day I'm not going to
        drink for today, don't think about tomorrow.There have been times when I've told myself
        to wait an hour until the craving goes away, and it does, it's not easy but it is worth it,I
        feel as though my life has changed completely. I did go to AA some years ago, and while
        it was'nt for me I did pick up some useful advice, and met a great friend who I still see
        and we do support each other.
        Keep reading and posting and you will get lots of support.
        I wish you well. Paula.

Comment

Going for a month AF

My typing has'nt got any better over the last few months!!

Comment

Going for a month AF

The longer you are AF, the easier it gets. I never thought I could do it at first, and at just over 5 months AF now, I am not quite sure how I got here. I do what paula does, when I have a craving, I wait a while, do something else, and it passes...the more time goes by, the fewer they are are farther between. Once I had built up a bunch of AF days, I couldnt bear to give up my progress by drinking and have to go back to counting at 1...
            It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
            James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Going for a month AF

Thank you so much for your useful tips - Am as of writing 36 hours AF - felt good for most of yesterday (slight irritability in early evening). Lack of sleep though, felt wide awake for most of evening and woke up after only 5 hours of sleep feeling wide awake again.

Don't mind this as long as it's 'wide awake', but know from experience that there will come a point (probably by tomorrow at the latest) where I'll start to feel 'overtired' and become irritable and start craving booze to 'knock me out'.

Have ordered kudzu.

uda

Comment

Going for a month AF

Uda: Good luck. I too would like to do a month AF but am afraid to even say it. I'm going to keep track of your progress.
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Going for a month AF

I would love to try to go a month AF with you.

Uda,

I am only on day two now, feeling awful, weak, light headed, nauseous, night sweats, no sleep. Ick.

However, I am determined to get through the worst and make a go for 30 days.

If you'll support me, I'll support you!!

We can do this!!

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Going for a month AF

Hi all it looks like cindi and Uda are ready to do a daily support for each other??

dont do what i did though and did 46 days and went on holiday and started drinking again!!!

I am not ready to abstain as yet..on my journey its still no booze weekdays(monday to fridays inclusive) and have a drink when i have a night out at the weekend. one bottle in the recycling this week...hubby,s not mine!!!

good luck starting out..just do today and then wake up thinking Wow thats the first step done!!
                    Regards Cassy

Comment

Going for a month AF

I am coupla months now and at first it was hard mentally and then the physical kicked in - about 3-4 weeks with headaches, tiredness, stressy feelings too - so pls keep up good work, you are brilliant
                      I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
                      I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Going for a month AF

You're on cindi, we can support each other. Am going to bed in a moment (it's almost midnight here) at the end of day 2 af. Didn't get much sleep last night, so hopefully tonight will be better.

Hope you get through the day ok - shakes etc. are nasty and difficult to cope with.

Take lots of care of yourself and I'll be thinking of you (and rooting for you)

Uli

Comment

Going for a month AF

me too cassy i did 45 days af went on holiday and started drinking not too bad but not af.
                          now i am day 4 af again and am very happy, so i'd like to join in if you will have me cindy and uda. just gone back to work after 5 months off so def need support. must say i do get loads of support on the 30 day site but the more friends the better dont ya think !!

Comment

Going for a month AF

You are more than welcome to join in.

It will be nice to have a few friends going through the same thing to bounce things off of.

Uda is faced with a big party today and worried. Let's send positive thoughts her way!!

btw, my first night was horrible but I slept fine last night. Yahoo!!

Look forward to hearing from you!!

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Going for a month AF

I think I'm on the night shift. I'm in California and I get to read everybodies posts before they go to work or bed. I'm trying the AF. When I've gone a couple of weeks in the past it doesn't seem to be a physical craving but I am taking all the supps just in case. Have been reading info from the 7 weeks to sobriety link and they have lots of nutritional/genetic information that supports the MWO supps, so I figure they can't hurt. Also, if the topo helps me to drop a few pounds then maybe I wouldn't get so depressed when I'm PMSing and then I wouldn't drink (ya right). Just looking for some friends like me (Wine is my closest friend besides my hubby and he can moderate). Anyone out there sound familiar?

Comment

Working...
                              X