Going for a month AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going for a month AF

This is going to be my first alcohol free day. When my partner gets his beer I have a two litre bottle of iced coffee to drink instead. I know it will be hard but it is hard work being a drunk too and that is what I am going to have to remember. Would gladly welcome anyones help on how best to go about this and any advice.

Comment

Going for a month AF

I wish you guys luck with 30 days. But just a word of warning. a group of us tried to do it together and most of us fell of the wagon. we sure learned a lot in the process though...

It led to the creation of Newbies in Need!

I wonder if you should start with one week then go from there?

Comment

Going for a month AF

Hi uda, I wasn?t expecting my first post to be so committal, but I feel that I need/want to be on this MWO site and so what the heck ? let?s jump in the deep end. Can I join you and rottrod and cindi and be part of your gang? I have managed twenty af days before, but then had a wine spree for a week. Today is my second af day, so I?m a couple behind you. I want to do it.
        Gonnabee not Wannabee

Comment

Going for a month AF

Hi Luc,
          Welcome, we are always at all stages here so yeah come on. Good job on the two days.

Melissa
          If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Going for a month AF

Luc, of course you are welcome - well done on taking the plunge. Onto day 4 now and had good night's sleep.

We can all do this together!

Comment

Going for a month AF

The more the merrier!!

Uda, Rottrod, Hereatlast, Luc,

I made it through my family barbecue. Everyone was laughing at me because I kept pouring them large glasses of wine trying to get it out of my face!!

Finally, I told my daughter to please take it somewhere else, it was "calling to me."

3 DAY AF!!

I slept great last night and no night sweats.

I think the Campral is finally kicking in for me.

Good luck to all of you. Don't hesistate to PM me if you need some 1-to-1 support. I want us all to succeed!!

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Going for a month AF

That's brilliant Cindi - congratulations, great you're feeling better too.

Together we can beat this. I too am very happy to receive and answer any pm's from any of you.

Hope everybody gets through the day ok.

Uli

Comment

Going for a month AF

I've decided that I'm not counting this time. I've been seriously looking for an alcohol solution for about 3 years, and have gone good periods af, then seriously off....when I decided to use the suggestions in this program, and I'm using all of them (with Campral), I decided to just think that this was the summer I started the process to become the woman I want to be, and leave it at that.

Sometimes I think counting puts a lot of pressure on you...because if you slip once you're back to zero -- but really, you're not. Counting seems like an all-or-nothing to me, and I've had too much experience setting goals in stone only to feel totally worthless when I slip. I guess it has to be some kind of balance for me...I certainly do have a place I'm trying to get to...but I can't get there being so hard on myself...

But...I feel bad...don't let this comment dissuade you -- everyone has his/her own path for getting there! Best of wishes!
                  Blue Eyes

Comment

Going for a month AF

Regarding sleep,
                    At the point a couple years ago when I went from serious problem drinking to af, sleeping problems were very real. But, I told myself that it was because of my new energy and alertness, and just decided that I was now a night owl. I sent emails, surfed the web, listened to music I loved, rented tons of movies, and opted to sleep anywhere I ended up -- I'd wake up in a chair, couch...this lasted for a couple of months. One thing I did notice, though, was that I wasn't as tired as I would have thought, even with very little sleep. You may find that you're not as exhausted as you think you should be. I'd say don't fight it...it's peaceful time all by yourself.
                    Blue Eyes

Comment

Going for a month AF

I understand what you are saying.

Blueeyes,

I understand about putting too much pressure on myself and failing, which can lead to feeling worse about myself.

However, my goal, after drinking every day for pretty much ALL my adult life, is to TRY to get my body somewhat healed. A 30 day abstinence seems like a good start at that.

After that, I have not decided on AF or Mods myself. So many on here have found they simply cannot do mods, and then again, so many can. I SUSPECT I am in the cannot category but don't have a clue at this point.

I have promised myself that if I do not make the 30 days, it does not mean I will quietly slip away as a failure, I will adjust, continue and stay with this group.

My motto in life for work and family has always been "Failure is not an option" which really means I often fail but refuse to give up.

I plan to approach this issue in the same way.

Like you what you have said, adjustments to plans often need to be made to succeed. Sounds like you have done that!! :goodjob:

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Going for a month AF

Blueeyes, one of the things I really like about this site is that everybody sets their own goals - very much 'whatever works for you'. Good luck and lots of strength on your chosen path.

Cindi, I totally agree - I too don't think beating yourself up about 'failure' is the way forward. Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and try again/adjust your strategy - do whatever works for you. It's what I hope I'll do if I don't make the month.

Off to bed now - end of day 4 af.

Night all
                        Uli

Comment

Going for a month AF

June 19th

Good morning uda, Cindi, melissa & hereatlast - did you sleep well - I got a few hours, but woke with a headache - lots of things going on in there right now. Anyway a fabulous start of another af day (3 I think - it's already making me dizzy to contemplate !). Got loads to do to keep my busy and out of the wine store. Have a good one - love luc.
                          Gonnabee not Wannabee

Comment

Going for a month AF

Uda, Melissa, Hereatlast, Luc,

Good morning from Alabama.

I barely scraped by yesterday, but made it due to the help of my daughter and my neighborhood bartender. (Amazing, isn't it?)

For some reason the cravings were the WORST. My daughter and I met for lunch and she ordered a glass of wine, I actually almost begged for a sip. She said, "NO!! Absolutely not, mom, you can do this." and the bartender (I had told all my usual bartenders what I was up to) looked me straight in the eye and said, "Don't do it, Cindi, I am so proud of you because I don't think I could even try it."

So, I took a deep breath, drank 3 glasses of tea (we drink iced tea here in southern US) and actually got over the feeling within just a couple minutes.

Later my daughter came over to my house to talk to her bf via internet (he is in Iraq) and she brought a bottle of wine. I asked her to hide it from me so I wouldn't have to look at it, and she did. She also very carefully did not drink in my face.

Now, I know it seems maybe unfair that she is drinking around me knowing I am trying to quit, but she, too, has a drinking problem and if I want her company I am stuck with it. However, from time to time she murmurs something about, Mama (southern girls call their mom/mums Mama) if you can do this, maybe I can too, some day.

This makes the whole process even MORE worthwhile.

So, today I am 4 days AF going on 5 -- with the help of some very good friends and of course all of you!!

Sorry this is so long but wanted to put in print how I felt about the whole day.

I'm not a touchy/feely kind of person but today I want to say:
                            HUGS to all of you and hope your day/evenings goes wonderfully!!

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Going for a month AF

hi to everyone
                              day off today so carrying on detiling my bathroom. i am feeling great and very positive day 7 af today, i dont know the answer regarding af or mods i got to 45 days a little while ago and thought i could go mods but i just cant stop after one drink so here i am again.
                              the only thing is i feel so much better af people tell me i look better i am happier so why on earth do i want to drink , because i like it thats why !!!! how stupid am i? i love sitting over a meal with a glass of wine and i really do miss it hey ho.
                              i'm not touchy feely either but i think hugs are in order here, to everyone

Comment

Going for a month AF

Uda, Melissa, Hereatlast, Luc, Cindy and other associated hanger oners,

I need to join a gang

I have always been weak to peer pressure, Maybe some positive peer pressure would be good.

I am trying to turn my life around but I have no idea which direction... That is making giving up booze hard.... I am trying to change everything all at once.... but that is what I want.

It is just a bit tiring.... I dont know up from down, left from right......sigh

Well I am up to day 10. It was meant to be AF but has turned out to be mods.... Am trying to get through this week AF.....

You all seem to be going great guns. Well done

Comment

Working...
                                X